_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Oerlikon mk.IX twin mount - on a 70'Vosper
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
KitMaker: 51 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi all, not been around for a while but recently Caught up with some of the brilliant Italeri Vosper builds on the forum...then bought one. I felt, however, that I really ought to finish my 1/72nd scratch (more or less) built Vosper first. Which brings me to that sticky bit involving a twin Oerlikon amidships... In Lamb's 'Coastal Forces, volume 2 pp 63&64 he shows a twin mount on boat 240. if you look at the plan view (i've knitted bits of two illos together) The bandstand looks like it's not stepped. The whole thing is raised, I assume to clear any bits you wouldn't want to shoot.

However, on page97, there's a stepped bandstand which at it's forward end sits flush on the refuelling hatch. I'm not sure which way to jump on this.The bandstand shown on 63gives no clue as to it's attachment to the deck. Any thoughts, please?
Chhers
F
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Fraser
Would be great to watch you complete your Vosper

Whilst I'm certainly no expert a couple of pointers for you

The side elevation of MTB240 20mm shows the pivot point of the gun forward of the magazine. This would make for a long working arc.

I can find pics of later and US built aft twins with no raised platform, query height to shoot over heads etc..

Form 'Allied Torpedo Boats by John Lambert & Les Brown

Note at bottom redrawn from Vosper's drawings . . . inc MTB240

Hope this helps

Cheers Kev
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
KitMaker: 51 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 06:35 PM UTC
Cheers for the help, The thing, it seems with Oerlikon mountings is the amount they vary! I decided to use a GLS bandstand I have spare. I've settled on trying to do 355 which had a full set of oerlikons. It also has the later style of larger ventilator cowls. In the photo of 355 in Lambert's book it appears that they moved them forward from their normal position on the series. I think you'd have to -

The bandstand ending up right where they were, I think.
 _GOTOTOP