_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Elco PT rib and keel kit
bubbletop409
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:25 AM UTC
If anyone is interested in building an Elco PT boat for RC or just a large scale display, I suggest you check out John Drains PT site. He sell's laser cut kit's that are very well detailed and expertly produced.

While I have not seen the hull kit's, I just received one of his kit's to build 1/20th scale torpedo roll off racks for my Higgins Hellcat project. The kit came well packed, concise directions, and shipped air mail which is included in the price.
bubbletop409
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 09:01 AM UTC
So it has been a year since I built the Higgins Hellcat and am now working on the kit I described above. After using John Drains laser cut torpedo racks, I was confident his keel and rib kit would be of excellent quality.

I was certainly not disappointed, the fit, finish, and alignment of the individual parts is of the highest quality I have ever seen in a wood kit.

Comes complete with provisions for motors, shafts, struts and rudders. I believe the motor mount will accept the majority of electric motors, both direct and gear reduction. I am powering mine with 3 3548 / 790KV brushless outrunners. The alignment of the shafts through their tunnels, and with the enclosed struts is so precise u-joints are optional.

_GOTOTOP