Funnels
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hi All,
I'm thinking that the colour for the inside of a funnel would default as black (all that nasty burny exhausty stuff leaving carbon etc. deposits), but would this be correct?
I've no idea what is in a funnel, is it just a chimney stack, or is there other stuff routed inside? Does the nasty burny exhausty stuff use all the funnel or is it ducted to near the top?
So would another colour be more appropriate?
TIA
Tom
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:49 AM UTC
Tom in reply to what's in the funnel it all depends on the ship in question and in some cases on if it's had a refit were two funnels have been trunked into one.

What ship are you doing and what year?
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:04 PM UTC
Trumpy's QE in 350 (1943)
The kit has 4 pipes (part K9) inside the funnel. But there's a lot of room spare thought I might busy it up a bit.
Then I thought If it's got to be painted black why bother>
tom
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

While I don't have the exact answer to what the inside of the funnels were painted, let alone on the Queen Elizabeth, I would think it black is not a bad way to go. Pretty sure they did not burn to cleanly and it would be a mess in there...just my opinion. You would see the detailing for sure but only so far down without a pen light. All comes down to personal preferences. I also don't think anyone would call you on painting the inside the exterior coloring or even an anti-fowling red and then smoke it with some thinned black for a little bit of contrast...might allow some of that detailing pop when you look down it!

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

According to my stepdad (a WW2 era snipe on a cruiser), funnels were entitrely black (and nasty) inside. As for details, there would typically be a few small vent pipes along the inside walls of the main trunkpipes and some internal access ladders.

I duly added these inside details on my Olympia model a while back, but when painted black and topped with the cover screen, nothing of the inside could be seen.

In short, I'd recommend that you paint it black inside and don't bother with details which will be invisible!
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC
Thanks All,
Looking at what I could find on the google and your answers...black it will be.
Tom
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 01:37 AM UTC
Tom, for colour I would settle on black as Todd and Tim have suggested, as for what's in the funnel I can't say that QE would be the same but funnels on the Belfast are full of cross bracing a walkway around the inside of the top opening, a doorway aft at the top which leads out to the 'outer' funnel and ladders in both the 'outer' and main funnel leading down.

I don't believe QE had an outer funnel, basically a jacket around the funnel which covered the steam and water vent pipes on the aft of the main funnel and on Belfast at least gave the sharp streamlined shape.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

Had a dig through my references. The best drawings appear to be in Raven & Roberts, assuming they are accurate. It appears QE did have an outer sleeve on the funnel. Comparing photos of her with Warspite, this does look logical, as QE does not appear to have the large number of external steam pipes that Warspite did. The inner casing appears to be pretty empty of any major structure, except maybe an upper walkway as Luciano describes.

Agree black is probably the best colour, but being such a big opening, maybe blended with a bit of sooty dark grey and oily dark brown to give a bit of texture.

Si
 _GOTOTOP