_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Northrop Grumman JMEC
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Model Shipwrights: 83 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 01:00 PM UTC
I'm just curious as to how many people have heard of this ship. Truth be told it's not a pretty little boat, but both my dad and I love it. I was lucky enough to get to ride on it once. Plus he had worked on some computers for it too. Moreover, I was wondering if there was a kit out there that at least resembles the JMEC as I'd like to possibly build a model of it for him.

For those who are unfamiliar with it, here is some info and some pictures:

The Northrop Grumman JMEC (Joint Multi-mission Expeditionary Craft) was an attempt to build a scalable C4ISR (command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance) system for high speed boats. The JMEC itself was a highly maneuverable riverine craft and able to almost literally turn on a dime. In one instance it was able to make a complete circle around a buoy keeping the nose, which is a fold down ramp to allow multiple types of cargo to be on and offloaded, pointed at the buoy through the entire maneuver. The hull was built by Aluminum Chambered Boats with millions of dollars of electronics (the C4ISR system) built by Northrop Grumman. Now on to some JMEC pictures. If you want more information, you can check out this news article: http://www.antonnews.com/oysterbayenterprisepilot/2007/08/24/news/.
My dad was the lead engineer for the project.

This last one is known as an All Hazard Response Bowloader. Not the one that I remember or the one I rode on but it too is supposedly a JMEC. Also by ACB.

Respect goes where respect is due. I do not lay claim to any of these photographs. They belong to their respective photographers.

Again if there's any kit out there that could resemble the ship in the all the pictures but the last, I'd like to know as I'd like to eventually build one for my dad.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 08:46 AM UTC
Has anyone heard of it?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:12 AM UTC
Looking like you might be in the ground level when it comes to development on this one Michael! I have not seen one offered up, nor anything looking close. Could make for an interesting scratch project. Of course I don't even see a simple plan overview of this one!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:37 AM UTC
Well as for plans, I'm not sure where they could be or who could have them. Northrop Grumman was involved in just the electronics portion of the Navy's RI (Request for information) from what I understand. The project was scrapped about 5 years ago. The electronics were scrapped but the boat itself was sold to someone and now no one knows where it is.
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The electronics were scrapped but the boat itself was sold to someone and now no one knows where it is.

Hi, why not contact this company (it might provide a lead to its present whereabouts):

http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/listings_detail.php?id=1711

Regards,

Arjan
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:31 AM UTC
The one you posted about is that AHRB, All Hazard Response Bowloader. I'm not looking for that specific vehicle, I'm looking for a different one. The first 5 pictures depict the vehicle I'm interested in.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The one you posted about is that AHRB, All Hazard Response Bowloader. I'm not looking for that specific vehicle, I'm looking for a different one. The first 5 pictures depict the vehicle I'm interested in.

Keep searching google...about the only advice on this one I would suggest. Test boats and prototypes are not always easy to find. It also appears that the "last" picture you did post is the replacement prototype to the other.

"Wilkers emphasized that the craft's layout is a test bed and that the configuration is a suggestion. " Oyster Bay Enterprise - Pilot - 2007
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 02:07 AM UTC
I dislike drudging up an old thread but I do have some more info to add to the fate of the JMEC.

After the program was cancelled, all boats and apparently plans were destroyed. There were 3 1/18 scale demonstration and display models built (by a company that once was part of Grumman but was removed after Northrop took over). 1 stayed with the company who made the 3. The other 2 are in an office or in someone's collection. Unfortunately, that means that no plans are available. And the company obviously wouldn't let and outside person try to make a design off of the model.
 _GOTOTOP