_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Smârdan/”Brutar-II-Class Monitor
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 07:27 PM UTC
“Now for something completely different!” Todd Michalak takes a look at one of RB Production 1/350 scale multi-media offerings; their Smârdan/”Brutar-II Class River Patrol Monitor kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:38 PM UTC
Todd, thanks for spending my money

I like this a lot, different from most we see and interesting.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:57 PM UTC
Sorry 'bout that Luciano! Didn't mean to empty your pockets on this one...LOL!! I hope to see more nautical offering from RB Productions in the near future. They are a great source for tool and aircraft related items (if you are into the things with wings ) I hope to have a good look at some of the tools soon! Another thing us builders can't stop from buying!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 12:30 AM UTC
What Luciano said,

It is interesting little beast, and looks a cracking kit as well.

Will be looking out for this.

Cheers

Si
kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 07:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the review Todd. But just for the sake of accuracy i have to add that it has 3 engines and of course 3 shaft drives. Anyway, the model is correct, as you can see from the photos you took. And to prove my point, take a look here http://romaniaforum.info/board3-marina-romana-romanian-navy/board409-marina-militara-romana-dupa-1945-romanian-navy-after-1945/board675-romanian-navy-after-1945-danube-fleet/251-94-176-180-brutar-i-class-river-monitors-brutar-ii-class-river-monitors/ , the first photo from the topic.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 04:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words about the review Dragos.

I am not sure if this is a case of accuracy or simple typographical error on the supported documentation and subsequently followed by me.

The picture does appear to have three controls which would support the possibility of three engines. The kit clearly defines three shafts and props. I did however mention early on in the review two engines and shafts, but the information was actually taken from the same reference you provided as this was basically the only source of information I had available at the time. The author of the thread does state three engines at the top, but the copied and pasted text from his or her book reference stated two engines more than once.

I have amended the review to reflect three engines for arguments sake. Not that this was a large point other than color information for the review...but why not? It only makes sense there are three independents.

Thanks again!!
kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi Todd! Like you say, all public sources i found state 2 engines and shafts, the one i provided was intended only for the photo. I have no idea why he mention the two reference books, which are known for their not so accurate information. And although i know that nobody disputes the 3 engine, my information comes above all from my cousin, who was on service on one of this ships, so i can guarantee for this. The most important thing is that Radu managed to make an accurate model. I hope we will see some of them built very soon.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 05:22 PM UTC
Radu has indeed created an excellent scaled version of this boat Dragos! Even in this scale, there is some fantastic detailing! I too would like to see a few more built at some point! I had a blast getting mine together!

my build - http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/236861&ord=&page=1

kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 03:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the link Todd, i didn't saw that one. I had a few crazy months at work so i had no time to really check the forum. Great job again.
 _GOTOTOP