_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Proposal: Sink the Bismark campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 03:36 AM UTC
So, I know ships aren't my thing and I'm probably sailing in dangerous waters here, but it occurs to me that that next May is the 75th anniversary of the hunt for the Bismark. Could be a good excuse for a campaign. Any ship (or aircraft) that took part in the hunt for and sinking of the Bismark (on either side, of course). Obviously the time frame would have to cover May, 2016 and given how complicated shipbuilding is (certainly for ME) I'd say it should go longer than 6 months but I'm not as familiar with how you all do things here.

What do you ship experts think?

Michael
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 05:07 AM UTC
Sounds good to me.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 06:25 AM UTC
Ooooooh! A 75th Anniversary thing!

Only issue subject range. You may want to include naval aircraft involved with the search such as Fairey Swordfish and PBY Catalinas.

And established list of ships would help flesh out the acceptable subject list.

Here's a a link to wikipedia on the subject that gives a list of ships involved for the final battle.

This link is to the general history of the Bismark that has a section on the chase on ships involved.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 06:33 AM UTC
Nice!

A quick list (courtesy of Wikipedia):

Axis:
German battleship Bismarck
German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen
The German destroyers Hans Lody (Z-10), Friedrich Eckoldt (Z-16), and Z23.
The German submarines U-46, U-48, U-66, U-73, U-74, U-93, U-94, U-98, U-108, U-138, U-552, U-556, and U-557.
Italian submarine Barbarigo.
The German weather ships Sachsenwald, Lauenburg, and Freese.
The German tankers Belchen, Egerland, Esso Hamburg, Friedrich Breme, Heide, Lothringen, Weisenburg, and Wollin.
Boats of the German 5th Minesweeping Flotilla.

Allied:
The British battleships HMS King George V, Prince of Wales, Ramillies, and Rodney.
The British battlecruisers HMS Hood, Repulse and Renown
The British aircraft carriers HMS Victorious (800Z and 825 Naval Air Squadrons) and Ark Royal (810, 818, and 820 Naval Air Squadrons)
The British heavy cruisers HMS Suffolk, Norfolk, Dorsetshire.
The British light cruisers Galatea, Aurora, Neptune, Hermione, Arethusa, Birmingham, and Sheffield.
The British destroyers HMS Achates, Antelope, Jupiter, Electra, Icarus, Punjabi, Mashona, Cossack, Sikh, Zulu, Maori, Tartar, Sherwood, and Hesperus.
The British submarines H44, Sealion, Seawolf.
The Canadian destroyers HMCS Assiniboine, Saguenay, and Columbia
The Polish destroyer ORP Piorun

Neutral:
Spanish heavy cruiser Canarias (attempted to rescue some survivors from Bismarck)
American Coast Guard cutter, Modoc

Lots of choices!

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 02:07 PM UTC
Great idea Michael.

Count me in. I think it would need to be a 12 month campaign, it certainly takes me 8-9 months to build a battleship/battlecruiser in 1/350th, and I am not the slowest guy around here, and we have Bismarck in 1/200th as well.

Cheers.

Si
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:51 PM UTC
I do believe that USS Texas was also involved in the search. I might be wrong on that.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:20 PM UTC
Texas was doing neutrality patrols at the war's start and later protection of lend-lease convoy's before the US entered the war.

The only US vessels in the vicinity of the Bismark was the US Coast Guard cutter Modoc. Modoc sighted Bismark, not knowing what ship she was and received no reply to her light signaling or radio calls for request of identity. Bismark was on the run from the Royal Navy and later Fairey Swordfish torpedo bomber flew in low over the top of Modoc's masts as they headed for Bismark. Modoc witnessed the attack and also spotted the task force bearing down on Bismark. HMS Norfolk spotted Modoc and was training her guns on her, thinking she was a Kriegsmarine vessel until HMS Prince of Wales signaled to Norfolk that it was a USCG vessel.

Being a Connecticut resident, the home state to the US Coast Guard Academy, I like to follow it's history.

Here's a CG article on Modoc:

So not surprisingly, I hope to do the Modoc should this campaign take off.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC
This campaign is a great idea, I would definitely be interested and I would have a couple of suitable vessels in my stack.

There's basically two things for me (quite along the lines Si already mentioned): it should be 12 month - I think I can say that I'm speaking for the slower fraction here - and it should not start to soon, maybe next spring - to give a chance to finish the cruiser campaign's build, and the other campaigns that are going on.
Well - I think I'd be in in any case, but I might be forced to do one of the subs in 1/350 if you start to soon.

Cheers,

Jan
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Model Shipwrights: 306 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 07:09 PM UTC
As Campaigns Administrator, my only reservations are around having too many running simultaneously, and do we have enough members willing to commit to a build. If y'all want this campaign, then I'm happy to administer it.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 12:14 AM UTC
Just a thought, but why not go for either 21st May 2016, the 75th anniversary of the date she sailed from GrimstadFjord, or 27th May 2016 the 75th Anniversary of the date of her sinking.

I know it is a long run in, but it would allow the other campaigns to mature and if I remember "Silent Service" is a six mother so that will be all but done.

Cheers

Si
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a thought, but why not go for either 21st May 2016, the 75th anniversary of the date she sailed from GrimstadFjord, or 27th May 2016 the 75th Anniversary of the date of her sinking.

I know it is a long run in, but it would allow the other campaigns to mature and if I remember "Silent Service" is a six mother so that will be all but done.

Good idea.

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si

I have no problem with that plan! I'd suggest starting on 21 May, 2016 and ending on 27 May, 2017. Whaddya think Bill?

Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si

I have no problem with that plan! I'd suggest starting on 21 May, 2016 and ending on 27 May, 2017. Whaddya think Bill?

Michael

21 May 2016 to 27 May 2017 - that sounds great to me, for that campaign I would definitely enlist!!

Cheers,
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Sounds like a plan to me.

I am in with those dates.

Cheers.

Si
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC
I have the campaign in the queue. We can't start it right now because it won't allow me to set a date into 2017. I can either have it end 12/31/2016 for purposes of sign-up and then extend the date later, or wait to approve it until we get closer to the end of this year. Your thoughts?
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the campaign in the queue. We can't start it right now because it won't allow me to set a date into 2017. I can either have it end 12/31/2016 for purposes of sign-up and then extend the date later, or wait to approve it until we get closer to the end of this year. Your thoughts?

Tricky. I'd like people to be able to sign up, so I guess I'd go for the approve now with the 12/31 end date and then update when you get the chance. But do you all think that would be too confusing?

I'm going to post a link to this thread in AeroScale too if anyone there wants to join.

Michael
tinbanger
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 03:47 AM UTC
Count me in with a 209 Squadron Catalina.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:16 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

I reckon of it gets the campaign out there and people signing up, shouldn't be too confusing as long the planned finish date is made clear in the campaign rules,

Cheers.

Si
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC
UPDATE: After making the campaign "live," I was able to extend the date until the one year anniversary (2017). Please sign up and encourage your friends to do the same.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

UPDATE: After making the campaign "live," I was able to extend the date until the one year anniversary (2017). Please sign up and encourage your friends to do the same.

Thanks Bill! All signed up, now what to build? That Trumpeter Hood is calling me...

Michael
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That Trumpeter Hood is calling me...

Here is what their big Bismarck can look like.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 - 02:15 AM UTC
Signed up,

Got the Revell Bismarck 1/350 with the Pontos upgrade in the stash. Will start it for the campaign, don't know it I will finish it with within the timescale of the campaign.

If I can pick up a WEM Havelock from anywhere I will build her as Hesperus, young Duster is in Hesperus Division at Pangbourne College,

Cheers.

Si
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
How does this look for a ribbon?

photo bismarck ribbon large_zpsu1v5kui1.gif