_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Lindberg's 94', 11" (95-foot) USAF ASRC
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 01:40 AM UTC
Went to Stan's today.

He puttied over a hole in the centerline prop'housing' and the hole for the motorized version's one rudder and scratch-built the mast for the radar and dryfitted the radar ...

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 02:36 AM UTC
Looking great Tim.

You must be pleased.

Cheers

Sean
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 07:16 PM UTC
I am. But, I'm kind of anxious to wrap this one up in order to move onto the last two projects Stan will do for me, he's getting ready to leave the hobby. One of which is a Merit early Elco 80-footer as PT-191, late in the war. The other is the old ERTL USS ENTERPRISE - NCC-1701 as the USS DEFIANT - NCC-1764. That's next.

Quoted Text

Looking great Tim.

You must be pleased.

Cheers

Sean

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:18 AM UTC
Went to Stan's today. He put the railings on, using black nylon thread, he glued the radar on, and the guns, but needs to paint the sights. He put three shafts, props and rudders on - using three each from a Revell PT-109 kit ... He put the flag (from AMP) on ... he painted the figures. Once everything is glued, touched up and all that - he'll Dullcote it and it should be done next week.

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:06 AM UTC
Ya know, Guys?

I've got to tell you.

Each time I go over to Stan's to watch him build this model, I can't believe how inaccurate this kit actually is ...

I mean, the hull is too short. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't have him insert plugs into the hull and deck to get the model to the correct length.

The kit guns were jokes ... there was nothing in the cockpit and even though the scratch-built details in the cockpit are not exactly "historically accurate" or remotely accurate, it did/does "improve" it greatly.

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:13 AM UTC
Stan finished my Lindberg 95-foot USAF ASRB as an USN Beach Jumper boat from the 1960s. Chip Marshall, who is an excellent researcher, and a good friend helped me with the info on the one former USAF boat which the navy used as a Beach Jumper boat.

The two twin-20mms, the radar and the figures are all from SHAPEWAYS. The flag is from AMP (Accurate Model Parts). The props, struts, shafts and rudders came from a Revell PT-109 kit.

The kit is old, un-detailed and extremely inaccurate - but - thanks to Stan's unbelievable modeling skills, it came out better than I thought it would.

Tim

Quoted Text

Ya know, Guys?

I've got to tell you.

Each time I go over to Stan's to watch him build this model, I can't believe how inaccurate this kit actually is ...

I mean, the hull is too short. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't have him insert plugs into the hull and deck to get the model to the correct length.

The kit guns were jokes ... there was nothing in the cockpit and even though the scratch-built details in the cockpit are not exactly "historically accurate" or remotely accurate, it did/does "improve" it greatly.

Tim

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:53 AM UTC
Aye, Mr. Connelly,
Liking what I'm seeing mate...fine project, fine modeler, loved watching her come together, Ol' friend. I'm a softie for these old Lindbergh beauties...inaccuracies and all!
Cheers,
Gunny
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 07:00 PM UTC
Thanks, Gunny.

He's now working on my ERTL/AMT USS ENTERPRISE (TOS NCC-1701)as the USS DEFIANT, NCC-1764. I got the decals from JT GRAPHICS ... It's not a bad kit - although the bottom half of the secondary hull seems to be either warped or slightly askew. Stan's fixing that. He puttied around the seam of the saucer section and the neck leading up to the saucer section, along the top of the secondary hull and along the top of the two warp nacelles.

I think next time, he'll paint it and will put it together. There aren't many pieces to the kit.

Tim
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hello Tim,

I see that Stan did a good job with that model.

Do any photos exist of that craft in its actual configuration?

All I have been able to find is the craft in the so called
"clown colors".

Cheers,
Joe
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi Joe,

Unfortunately, ... no. I wish there were, it would have made this project a lot easier (and historically more accurate). Chip mentioned that the boat would have had loudspeakers and rocket launchers on deck - but I didn't know what kind of speakers, and where they were fitted, and I didn't know what type of launchers and where they were fitted, I know - on the foredeck - but thanks to the R/S lockers and the gun, there is no room for the launchers, so I had Stan leave those items off.

Chip does says he's continuing to search for those photos ...

If anyone can find 'em, he can.

Tim

Quoted Text

Hello Tim,

I see that Stan did a good job with that model.

Do any photos exist of that craft in its actual configuration?

All I have been able to find is the craft in the so called
"clown colors".

Cheers,
Joe

_GOTOTOP