_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
Looking for some help with Königsberg
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hey fellas,

I have been playing around with some research regarding the Light Cruiser Königsberg and seemed to run smack-dab into a wall. I am looking for general plans surrounding the 1931 refit to this K-class ship. I read a few things while looking where the foremast was shortened, the superstructure lengthened and there were two 8.8's added. Basically looking to confirm this with the plans if possible. Any help in tracking down a set of credible plans...if they exist, would be greatly appreciated!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hi Todd,
Those ships are hard to research, since they don't get much press in English. At Amazon.de there are two books by Schmolke and Koop available.

This one: http://www.amazon.de/Königsberg-Klasse-Nürnberg-Schiffsklassen-Schiffstypen-deutschen/dp/3763759344/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458614700&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Kreuzer+konigsber

And this: http://www.amazon.de/Original-Leichten-Kreuzer-Königsberg-Klasse-Nürnberg/dp/3763759247/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458614700&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=Kreuzer+konigsber

I have a version of the second type of book on the type 34 and 36 destroyers. It's a paperback and full of photos I'd never seen anywhere before. At the tail end of the book was a section of line drawings of various vessels of the class in various outfits. The book was of course, in German. I found the pictures and line drawings useful for kitbashing Z39 into Z32.

To order I went into my regular Amazon account and pasted in the German title and was able to order it on a webpage I could read.

Best Wishes,

Gaz
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:00 AM UTC
Todd, you may want to give this book a try
http://www.amazon.com/German-Light-Cruisers-World-War/dp/159114194X/ref=sr_1_1_twi_pap_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458619081&sr=8-1&keywords=German+Light+Cruisers+of+World+War+II%3A+Emden%2C+Konigsberg%2C+Karlsruhe%2C+Koln%2C+Leipzig%2C+Nurnberg+%28Warships+of+the+Kriegsmarine%29

I don't have this one in the range yet but the others have been very useful.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:18 AM UTC
Thank you Gary! I will definitely look into those two books! It doesn't look like it will set me back to bad either! Maye I can get lucky!

Thank you Luciano! Now I have to laugh...this is a case of one of those times when we have entirely too much "stuff". As soon as I read the title, I looked through all my books...low and behold, I have this book! Outstanding source for the light cruisers btw! There is a section on the Königsberg with numerous pictures. Sadly only the one line drawing, but it does help a lot! I will read that chapter over coffee in the morning...maybe I will find what I am looking for!

Many thanks to both of you!! With any luck, maybe we will see one of these in plastic at some point!
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:14 AM UTC
Todd I know White Ensign were working on one of the class in 1/350 resin lets hope that when the resin range becomes available again a K-Klass cruiser is amongst them.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hi Todd,

I do have a copy of the Schmolke and Koop at home - well, small problem, home is not where I live on a daily basis, commuting for work. But I'll be home over easter. I can see if the information you're looking for is there, and the rest we can do via PM

I do as well have a bunch of pictures from Karlsruhes world cruise, private pictures from somebody who's grand-something was on board and shared them on the net some years ago. No 'technical' pictures, but lots of details can be spotted. I haven't looked at them for a while of myself, if you're interested in Karlsruhe as well, I could send you some (or all...but lots of data).

Cheers,
Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi Jan, thank you! I managed o get my head out of my butt long enough to track down my copy of the book. I read through the chapter on the ship this morning and while somewhat confirming my previous readings of an addition to the bridge tower and shortening of the forward mast, it conflicted with the addition of the two 8.8 deck gun added to the quarterdeck saying they were added on the next refitting. There is a simple line drawing in the book which is slightly helpful, however, not actual plans. All good...I will keep looking!

Of course I would be interested in what you have about the Karlsruhe. But don't go too far out of your way to scan a bunch of pics taking your time away from your normal day to day activities! I have to figure their configurations are quite similar being of the same class and all!
 _GOTOTOP