_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
1:48 scale mufflers for Elco 80-footers
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I ordered the 1:48 mufflers for the Elco eighty-footer from the vendor known as HOLDEN8702 (Luis) from Shapeways in 3-D for the last project which Stan Pienkowski will do for me.

The project (the Merit 1:48 early Elco eighty-footer) will depict PT-191, the "Bambi" in late-44/1945.

The mufflers are impressive.

Tim
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 02:51 PM UTC
The 3D mufflers should bring up the detail a lot on the build Tim! Best of luck to Stan and you on the build!
CaptSpeirs
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

I ordered the 1:48 mufflers for the Elco eighty-footer from the vendor known as HOLDEN8702 (Luis) from Shapeways in 3-D for the last project which Stan Pienkowski will do for me.

The project (the Merit 1:48 early Elco eighty-footer) will depict PT-191, the "Bambi" in late-44/1945.

Tim

This individual has quite an impressive collection of 3D printed items. Why does he do such a variety of scales and omits for the most part 1/35 scale? I would really like to see him do 3D parts for the 1/35 scale Elco's.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:09 PM UTC
Captain,

All you'd need to do is to go to Shapeways - go to his store/page, and contact him and request him to do 1:35 stuff. I'm sure if enough people make that request - he will do it.

But, recently - I asked someone to resize something from 1:16 and 1:20 to 1:48 and was told that there's a lot of work to do resizing an item, so bear that in mind. Although - that said - I really do think it'd be an easy conversion to do.

Tim

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Tim

This individual has quite an impressive collection of 3D printed items. Why does he do such a variety of scales and omits for the most part 1/35 scale? I would really like to see him do 3D parts for the 1/35 scale Elco's.

CaptSpeirs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up, I just sent an email, lets hope for the best.

Ric

Quoted Text

Captain,

All you'd need to do is to go to Shapeways - go to his store/page, and contact him and request him to do 1:35 stuff. I'm sure if enough people make that request - he will do it.

But, recently - I asked someone to resize something from 1:16 and 1:20 to 1:48 and was told that there's a lot of work to do resizing an item, so bear that in mind. Although - that said - I really do think it'd be an easy conversion to do.

Tim

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Tim

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:20 AM UTC
Agreed.

Also, I've heard rumors that another vendor is working on the quad-20mm Elco Thunderbolt Mark 16 mount. It is said that he has the drawings of the mount which was fitted to the 139, 556-559 and the 174 (in 1945). I don't know where he found those drawings, I looked for them myself and only found the ones of the mount which hand two .50s outboard the 4 20mms.

I'm trying to get a vendor to do (a) a 37mm M4 and (b) the .30-cal "Stinger" mounts ...

Quoted Text

Ric

Quoted Text

Captain,

Tim

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Tim

CaptSpeirs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:35 AM UTC
I have been toying with the idea of a PT 109 "what if" version. What if the 109 never sank, what would she look like later in the war. The opportunities of mods and weapons systems are very tempting. I just wish I knew enough about PT Boats to do a believable version based on likely probability. The M45 comes to mind, but she would have had to been in the European theater to make it believable I think.

Quoted Text

Agreed.

Also, I've heard rumors that another vendor is working on the quad-20mm Elco Thunderbolt Mark 16 mount. It is said that he has the drawings of the mount which was fitted to the 139, 556-559 and the 174 (in 1945). I don't know where he found those drawings, I looked for them myself and only found the ones of the mount which hand two .50s outboard the 4 20mms.

I'm trying to get a vendor to do (a) a 37mm M4 and (b) the .30-cal "Stinger" mounts ...

Quoted Text

Ric

Quoted Text

Captain,

Tim

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Tim

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:01 PM UTC
I guess that could be an interesting modeling project.
CaptSpeirs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC
I just ordered the mufflers in 1/35 scale.

Here's the link.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/49486PHYY/1-35-pt-boat-mufflers-set?li=shareProduct
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:01 AM UTC
Sir,

You won't be disappointed.

Tim

Quoted Text

Here's the link.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/49486PHYY/1-35-pt-boat-mufflers-set?li=shareProduct

bubbletop409
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:03 AM UTC
Luis aka HOLDEN8702 is a great person to work with. I originally made the muffler request for both the Elco and Higgins versions. I just received my Higgins versions yesterday in 1/20th for my Hellcat, and 1/16th for my 78 footer. A very nice part that adds the detail on a item that is hard to scratch build.

Also in that shipment was a late model Elco radar mast in 1/20th, as with all of Luis's renditions the quality and detail are fantastic.

Luis also has crew men for PT's in a variety of pose's and scales, he recently added Elco dashboard instruments in various scales and configurations.
CaptSpeirs
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:39 AM UTC
You were right, I just received my mufflers and they are amazing.

Quoted Text

Sir,

You won't be disappointed.

Tim

Quoted Text

Here's the link.

_GOTOTOP