Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
aerosol can primer
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Model Shipwrights: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:05 PM UTC
My next build will be the HMS Warspite 1:350 scale. I am not sure if I want to start this build during the cold season. This model is enormous I never worked on such a large model. I have a paint booth in my hobby room however the hull takes up about 80% of the width.I do not think I can get a consistent layer of paint on the hull considering I have limited mobility. I am thinking of trying a rattle can primer out in the garage if the temp is above 60? problem is I think rattle cans suck. the paint just shoots out of the can with little flow control leaving an uneven coat of paint and easily starts to run or orange peel.How do you guys use a rattle can? I read about many people doing so but what are typically the results. I insist on using lacquer paint since I feel it is less damage prone.My airbrushes are questionable for painting large surfaces? not sure. I have an Iwata HP-M1 top feed Revolution with a small1.5 ml cup and a Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS that will accept large bottles. What do you think?
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 03:42 AM UTC
Well, I used a rattle can primer on a 1/35th scale tank. I don't have any kind of spray booth, and the tank itself is fairly small (a German Panzer II), so my biggest problem was overspray. Plus, I think the can said to "hold upright" - which is silly, considering the parts are flat on the desktop! But it seemed to do ok, and the more I think about it, the more I think that spray can was pretty old (like, bought in the nineties), and used up maybe 2006? Besides, it was an all-purpose primer from K-mart, nothing especially formulated for styrene.
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 04:03 AM UTC
I think that there are a few key points when using rattle cans. Keep the spray moving! Pausing leaves big amounts of dripping paint on your model. Also, use several light misting coats rather than a few heavy coats.

HTH
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 04:28 AM UTC
I use Tamiya Fine Primer on my armor,no problem,light coats,keep it moving,have not had runs,drips or orange peel,just takes practice.
B_Ernie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 54 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:39 PM UTC
I used Mr Surfacer 1200 from a rattle can on the hull of my Revell 1/144 USS Fletcher (it's a work in progress that is almost finished) and it went on with no problems, many light coats, as stated above, is the key to a smooth finish.
Here is a sneak preview,
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:19 PM UTC
I will try the Tamiya or Mr. surfacer, seems like a bit more control on those cans. Thanks to all for the tips
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I used Mr Surfacer 1200 from a rattle can on the hull of my Revell 1/144 USS Fletcher (it's a work in progress that is almost finished) and it went on with no problems, many light coats, as stated above, is the key to a smooth finish.
Here is a sneak preview,

did you carve out each of those hull plates? if so...wow, that is a lot of work and very impressive. I remember how that looked on the USN ship I served on.Huzzah!
 _GOTOTOP