_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Getting my feet wet & no idea!! Revell S-100
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hi Guy's
Firstly Merry Xmas to all,
As you can propberly tell by my username & topic heading I am going to try & dip my toes into the H2O genre & have no idea or reference!!
So some questions, is the Revell S-100 accurate OOB in most of the main area's??
If not what would need to be changed to make a late war issue tub?
I was thinking of getting one of the griffon sets & wasn't sure which of the largest two were best for value & main steam fixing?? Ie is the "biggest" most expensive set, better than the slightly smaller set? Also were can crew be brought & what reference material would be best value for $$ takinging into account I will more than likely only ever build one, unless I can get the 1/35 scale at a cheapish rate.
And is it possible if I do get a 1/35 scale which is my armour scale of choice, can both be made to be the same vessel?
Also I have seen a couple of blogs in German, any idea on we're the translate button is lol
Many thanks for looking & any & all help
Cheers Mike
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:42 PM UTC
The S-100 type was already the final production version, so no updating is necessary, but it can use some improvements/corrections. Reference books will really be needed for detailing. Firstly, the circular skylights on the engine room vent covers (six per cover) have to be filled in as these were deleted in the S-100 series. The bridge/cockpit area needs to be detailed and corrected - the computer column is totally wrong; I scratch-built a new one. There is a raised mound surrounding the bow 20mm which shouldn't be there - that area needs to be levelled. All the weapons are very basic and simplified and could be replaced; these weapons from CMK can be used on any S-100 series http://www.cmkkits.com/en/ships/u-boot-ix-weapon-set-for-revell/. I used the "big" Griffon set as it's cheaper to buy it rather than the individual sets, but found the PE engine room roof parts to be pretty pointless, difficult to assemble and requiring cutting half the kit out, and being too easily ruined in the process. It doesn't really add much for all the labour required - but that's my opinion. You might also want to add all the missing rivets and weld seams. I used Archer products for these. The deck railing and stanchions are simplified and incorrect and could also be replaced. I replaced them with this: http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/info-GLSA72018A.html They are for Revell's 1/72 Snowberry, but are suitable for the S-100 as well.
The list for super-detailing this kit is very long and depends on your level of competency and patience, but if you're used to super-detailing armor vehicles with PE and resin AM, it shouldn't be a problem - just a lot of work and necessary reference material.

Addendum: the Italeri 1/35 kit is huge; it measures over 3 feet long (1 meter) and requires just as much extra work and becomes correspondingly more expensive. My friend has been working almost a year on detailing that kit!
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi Biggles,
Thanks very much for the reply & the info, that at least gets me a starting point on what I need to get & change.
Is / are their any particular reference's books that you would recommend as must have's?
Your build was one of the ones that inspired me,
Cheers Mike
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC
One thing with the Revell 1/72 kit is that one of the torpedo tube rears opens the wrong way. It's a while since I looked at mine but I think they should be mirror images but aren't. The bow 2cm has a totally bogus central pivot but in reality it was on a Scarff ring arrangement.

There is a fairly useful Classic Warships book on the S-boot, also two editions of a Sqn-Signal in action title, www.prinzeugen.com, Fock's 'Fast fighting boats' and a large format French book whose author escapes me but I think it was published by H&C. And the old Profile book by Hummelchen. There might well no others but those are the ones I have and I've been looking for some years.

Don't forget that Kevin Wheatcroft is restoring one too - a couple of mags have published photos of parts of it and I took some myself a few years ago. It's likely to be many years before that one is finished although I'm sure he will do a fine job.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:43 PM UTC
Andrea, Hecker-Goros, and CMK all make S-, and U-Boat crew figures that will work.
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hello Mike. There is another Schnellboot thread in this theater - over the around 56 pages most of the defects and incorrect measures where discussed. My friend Robert Palmacci produced most of the correction plans for 2 - 3 EUR a piece. You can find the plans on his homepage here: http://rpalmacci.free.fr/

Some off his plans I turned into 3D objects, some others I did by myself from original plans. You can find all S100 parts on my shop page at shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/product/XYMP62AYX/kriegsmarine-torpedozielsaule-1-to-35?optionId=61192331

The link guides you to the most recent completion, the Torpedo Targeting Computer. I am currently settining the long mine track for the TMB and LMB mines which were carried on the boats.
If you make a run though the parts on my shops, you see that there are a few items which can be used to detail the boat - more to come. (sorry for the commercial, but no other chance to lead you to that without doing it)

bis denne

Christian

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:43 AM UTC
I think Tanksami is planning 1/72.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

i came across your thread and thought i could help a bit...
First n forremost, i build the Revell 1/72 Sboot a few years ago and stop this build after i suffered from AMS and burnout. LOL.. the more i dig, the more i think i could go but ended up in my cold project list..

anywhere, here is the thread of my build
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/143438#1198600

I add all the griffon PE set, as well as the deep charge resin set to the build.
I corrected some of the mistake.
One of the reason i put this aside is the torpedo door. The door is wrongly labeled in the manual (starboard - portside).. and i glue them as instructed only later discovered they were wrong sided..so in the attempt to remove them, i lost the parts... i dont know if there are AM set for them.

anyway, as for the griffon set, they're worth every penny. a must if u plan to superdetail your sboot

good luck, merry christmas and happy new year
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi Robert,
Many thanks for your replies & supplied information re those books, I will be ordering a couple this week.

Hi Biggles,
Thank you also for the suppliers of crew figure's I will have a look online & see what they look like & what I can find.

Hi Christian
Even though as Biggles said my original post was re the Revell 1/72nd scale kit, I would love to get the 1/35th scale version if I can find one at the right price & if so your link to that build blog & your shape ways page will be very handy for plans & parts!!

Hi Zaidi,
Also many thanks for your link to your inspiring build log & information kindly supplied. I will be book making it along with Biggles build log for when I start on her.

Many thanks & happy new year to all
Cheers Mike
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Just got the squadron signals book & the classic warships books, so can hopefully start soon. Does anyone have close up pics of the canvas covers hung over the rails & how they were secured?
Also trying to find side profile of the hard edged splinter camouflaged boat with the stag / deer with antlers.
Thanks for all the help already given also!!
Cheers Mike
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 02:24 PM UTC
Hello Mike, I just recently scaled a few of my 1:35 items to 1:72. Now you have two different kind of dingy's in my shop: https://www.shapeways.com/product/HT6TE6R2S/1to72-dingy-with-long-row-locks?optionId=62348588

With long or short row blocks https://www.shapeways.com/product/X8NRAURE8/1to72-dingy-with-short-rowlocks?optionId=62348514, the liferaft https://www.shapeways.com/product/BPAFV7CAC/kriegsmarine-life-raft-1-zu-72?optionId=62342176, and the fog cans in a nice 6 pack https://www.shapeways.com/product/GMBMBUM2M/kriegsmarine-nebelkanne-in-1-to-72-v1-sixpack-offe?optionId=59101388

Homer Simson would say:" mmmmhh. six pack"

bis denne

Christian
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:18 PM UTC
Third attempt at this as the post keeps disappearing...

Inspection of photos shows the dodgers to be laced in a spiral manner to the top rail. However, since both lower edges are visible on the same side, it seems that the sheet was not just draped over the railing as one might do with a sheet or towel. Maybe there is a line of eyelets along the middle of the sheet, although off centre.

Camouflaged boats with the Kalotte bridge are rare - almost all appear to have been off white with cam seen almost exclusively on earlier types.

Someone will now post photos of a whole flotilla of them....
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Christian,

Mmmm do they look nice!! Both the boat & the smoke cannisters may need to be purchased. Never having brought from shapeways before is there a certain procedure I need to order?

Also do you know if anyone does cloth german naval flags etc? I have also replied to the PM reply you sent me.

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for that info, I don't suppose you have close up photos of those dodgers do you??

Cheers Mike
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi Zaidi,
I was having a look through your blog & it is very informative!! I notice that you said you had added / replaced extra bilge pump holes at teh front of the boat, two at each side. Are you able to repost that photo or show the refernece photo of it??

I will hopefully be able to upload some pictures in the next couple of days with the start of my build.

Cheers Mike
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any clear pictures or idea's of were the bilge pumps & sea cocks go?? I have used the colour plates in the squadron signals books, along with the colour photos in Steve wipers #15 schnellboot book, as a reference point for what I have done so far.

Also what colour are / were the torpedo heads, I have seen some painted brass & some in a sort of anodised / metallicy blue type colour?

Cheers Mike
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 - 04:48 PM UTC
The unrestored torpedo warheads (which I assume were original but not live!) that I saw in 2012 were light grey. The torpedo body was bare metal.

Not sure where the bilge pumps exit but aren't the sea cocks below the waterline?
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 - 05:40 PM UTC
Hi Robert,
Many thanks for the reply, hmm light grey ok that solves that question

Yea the seacocks are underneath the hull so I will go with what I can workout, unless someone can give me any idea's.

Cheers Mike
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 02:04 PM UTC
Hi All,

Well if anyone is still out there & interested in my attempt at a floaty thing then here we go...if I can remember how to resize & upload my pics that is!! LOL

I am doing the S-boat with the flakveriling 38,I will also be adding some aftermarket goodies, as well as trying a little scratch building / super detialing.

Afermarket parts
Griffon Model Big / Full Set
MPM Productions U-Boot Weapons sets 105mm Cannon & Flak Vierling,Single 37mm & 2 x twin 20mm AA guns.
Iron-Models, Fuel Hoses,depth Charges & racks, RZA targeting system, naxos radar,dinghies ( short & long chocks ), torpedo tubes,carey floats / life rafts.

Thanks for looking & hopefully can update some pics when they finish uploading!!

Cheers Mike
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 10:54 PM UTC
Ahoy Mike

Personally I am still out here and very interested.

I would really love to see the pictures.

Cheers

Sean
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 03:26 AM UTC
Kia Ora Sean,

Glad to see someone is still interested & that even better they are from back home!! Lol

I did try to re upload last night with no luck, so will try resizing in the next couple of days. Well all the aftermarket is very nice, the Iron- models stuff is simply stunning & very new to the market as most of it was made at my request!! 😂

Not normally into product placement stuff & have no connection to the company besides being a very very satisfied customer who recommends a fantastic product!!
But if you do want to go that extra mile, then the Iorn-Models stuff is simply amazing & well worth the $$ In my humble opinion.

Hope to post the pics soon.

Cheers Mike
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 11:07 PM UTC
Gidday from back home Mike

Love to see some pictures of your Iron Model purchases as well.

I am a huge fan of the Schnellboots in all scales so I value new products etc.

Looking forward to those pictures.

Cheers

Sean
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hey Sean,

I managed to resize them all late last night, so when I finish work tonight I will up load them. The Iron- model stuff is just cool as, plus Christian is working on a couple of even more mouth watering bits for me to add.

But I will keep those for a surprise!!

Cheers Mike
Removed by original poster on 10/03/17 - 10:12:11 (GMT).
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 - 03:13 PM UTC
" BORDER="0">
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 - 03:19 PM UTC
Ok lets try this again & see if I can't make the photos bigger to do the parts justice!!
 _GOTOTOP