Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Hobby Boss 1/350 Dunkerque
modelmanuk12
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:24 PM UTC
I've been following this with interest looking good I painted mine a light grey with the forcastle a dark grey
I have finished mine just looking for pictures for the rigging I used a wooden deck looks really good found it on ebay it also comes with a separate sheet to mask it for painting any area after its fitted which is a good idea never seen that before.
I have now got the Strasbourg and the wood deck for dunkerque fits it as well so no waiting on someone to release it
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hi Russ, Sean, Jan and Todd,
Thanks for all the kind comments. I had a bit of a brain fade in I thought I had responded to everyone and posted an update. It seems I did neither

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been following this with interest looking good I painted mine a light grey with the forcastle a dark grey
I have finished mine just looking for pictures for the rigging I used a wooden deck looks really good found it on ebay it also comes with a separate sheet to mask it for painting any area after its fitted which is a good idea never seen that before.
I have now got the Strasbourg and the wood deck for dunkerque fits it as well so no waiting on someone to release it

Hi Peter,
I would love to see a picture of it in light grey. I sort of regret painting in dark sea grey (see following post).
I would also be interested to know who does a wooden deck for it. I have already painted the deck so I don't mind but I didn't see one when I originally looked.
Is the Strasbourg the same as Dunkerque or have they done it differently, i.e. same sprues but a different name?
If you want a picture of the rigging I may be able to help. What period are you after, pre-war?

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 03:03 PM UTC
Here is an update that I am sure I had done. Better check those marbles

A dry fitting to see how everything looked.

The instructions call for five boats across the boat deck but my pictures show only three, which makes sense because the five don't really fit.

And this is what happens when you build in short stints. You don't always remember to do all that is required hence the unpainted bits in the rear mast base.

And a "ghost" Loire seaplane. You get two with the kit. Unlike the rest of the kit the fit and finish of this fairly poor.

And now the problem. All those unpainted bits was because I committed the cardinal sin of having insufficient colour to finish the job. It's easy enough to get more dark sea grey however it ain't the same colour, being both lighter and glossier

You can see the turrets are a different colour than the hull

And that isn't too bad because the don't sit next to the earlier version. I am still pondering what to do. Buy some more probably and try again.
The funnel and base superstructure are painted in the Mk 1 colour

But the catapult isn't.

I will likely follow the idea some of you have used on your builds and have a second Loire with it's tail sticking out of the deck hangar.

Other than that I am really happy with this build.

cheers
Michael
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:19 PM UTC
Very nice work, really clean build and the PE looks amazing.

Your remarks on running out of color is a concern I have right now. I am trying to figure out how much grey paint I am going to need for the upper hull and superstructure for the IJN Musashi battleship.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 06:05 PM UTC
Superlative work Michael!

This kit looks very nice indeed.

A real shame about the paint. What brand/type are you using?
modelmanuk12
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:53 PM UTC
the wooden deck is done by shipyard link to auction site

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shipyard-1-350-350028-Wood-Deck-French-Dunkerque-for-Hobby-Boss-/182481733218?epid=733484975&hash=item2a7cc24662:g:Z7AAAOSwSlBYv~EQ
modelmanuk12
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 07:00 PM UTC
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/56021
modelmanuk12
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 07:02 PM UTC
the pictures show Dunkerque on the base ready for the Strasbourg next to her then I will do the sea
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the pictures show Dunkerque on the base ready for the Strasbourg next to her then I will do the sea

Thanks Peter, your Dunkerque looks great and with the two sister ships together it will be awesome display.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work, really clean build and the PE looks amazing.

Your remarks on running out of color is a concern I have right now. I am trying to figure out how much grey paint I am going to need for the upper hull and superstructure for the IJN Musashi battleship.

I think one jar would do it. I tend to use Tamiya or Gunze, since that is all you can get here, and their 10ml is usually sufficient, unless you are doing a carrier or some large hull. Otherwise you can get two jars and mix them at the beginning to ensure sufficient paint.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Superlative work Michael!

This kit looks very nice indeed.

A real shame about the paint. What brand/type are you using?

Thanks Russ,
The paint, well spot the difference

I have bought another one and will try this weekend to see if it a closer match.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:24 AM UTC
Well it turns out that there are modelling gods and the new paint jar is the colour I wanted. I guess the one I bought a few weeks ago was a dud. Anyway, Dunkerque is back on track.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 - 04:20 PM UTC
Good to hear Dunkerque is back on track, Michael!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:31 AM UTC
Very nice progress, Michael, she really looks like a battleship by now! Those quadruple 33cm turrets have a pretty menacing look!!

I hope you get the issue with your colours settled...

Cheers,
Jan
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice progress, Michael, she really looks like a battleship by now! Those quadruple 33cm turrets have a pretty menacing look!!

I hope you get the issue with your colours settled...

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan,
Yes colour all sorted which was a relief. Sprint progress continues, a little bit here and there, and construction moves forward.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 02:38 PM UTC
The last couple of weeks work.
While I sorted the paint situation I did the anchors and chains fore and aft.

With the paint in hand I resprayed the the main guns and painted the tips brass.

Added the lift rafts. I am never sure what colour these should be. In previous builds I have painted them both grey and yellow/orange. I went for the latter here because the ship colour is fairly dark.

The rear superstructure is now complete with the final pieces added and the railings bent and folded into shape.
The searchlight platform

Rear mast and base

Should get some more done this week but some tricky rail shaping required.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Michael

great to hear you go the paint issue sorted. Nothing worse than inconsistent paint colour from manufacturers!

Your Dunkerque is looking great. Nice clean work and the PE looks particularly crisp with neat folds and bends.

Look forward to seeing more soon
HoldenV8
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hi Michael, I am also Watching your build, but I am waiting for the Strasbourg to arrive (AU) Geat work, cheers Peter
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

great to hear you go the paint issue sorted. Nothing worse than inconsistent paint colour from manufacturers!

Your Dunkerque is looking great. Nice clean work and the PE looks particularly crisp with neat folds and bends.

Thanks Russ!

And off topic I see below the line you are building an Airfix Typhoon? Is that the 1:24 scale biggie? Haven't seen a build post of that or have a I just missed it.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael, I am also Watching your build, but I am waiting for the Strasbourg to arrive (AU) Geat work, cheers Peter

Welcome aboard Peter. I hope you do a build post for the Strasbourg. I would like to an updated Richelieu, as it operated after the US had modified it. Probably never happen.

cheers

Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

Thanks Russ!

And off topic I see below the line you are building an Airfix Typhoon? Is that the 1:24 scale biggie? Haven't seen a build post of that or have a I just missed it.

cheers

Michael

Hi Michael!

I'm building the 1/72 Tiffy as part of the Airfix IV campaign. I'll change my tag line to reflect that.

I've got the 1/24 Tiffy in the stash and would love to build it, but gosh, there's no way I'd be able to finish it in time for the campaign deadline
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

Thanks Russ!

cheers

Michael

Hi Michael!

I'm building the 1/72 Tiffy as part of the Airfix IV campaign. I'll change my tag line to reflect that.

I've got the 1/24 Tiffy in the stash and would love to build it, but gosh, there's no way I'd be able to finish it in time for the campaign deadline

Ha! That's why I asked. I bought one when they first came out. Maybe one day we should do a joint build without a deadline
I will check out the Airfix campaign.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ha! That's why I asked. I bought one when they first came out. Maybe one day we should do a joint build without a deadline

Maybe, but you'll need to buy an additional kit, because I reckon you'd be able to complete two in the time it'll take me to finish one

Quoted Text

I will check out the Airfix campaign.

cheers
Michael

Hope to see you there!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

missed out on your latest update - looks great, the kit seems really pretty comprehensive (almost) OOB, really great overall impression with only a little PE added.
Very nice progress!

(sorry, can't contribute to the Typhoon business... )

Cheers,
Jan