Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Imperial chinese Ironclad Dingyuen
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hallo Thomas!

Just catching up with your build (and MSW in general), real life kept and keeps me away from the bench. Don't worry if you can't get an update sometimes, that's how life goes.

Very nice work on a very special subject, you are doing a great job!
So sorry for being a late joiner, but I'm in and following!!

Cheers,
Jan
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 02:46 PM UTC
Ahoi and welcome aboard Jan! Thank you for joining in here - as you know we in Germany here say better late than never

Yesterday I was able to make some progress on my ship: First I did sprayed the masked ladderways and room skylights of the upper deck in a wooden brown color

then the white parts followed

this is how it looks after a first fit test with the wooden aftermarket deck

then I masked the bow and stern gun barbette turrets in yellow. I did used Mr. Color H34 Cream Yellow which fits spot on for my taste. I did had the Color quite some time in my stash and had no idea what to use it for but now finally it had its hour

I also sprayed all other yellow parts inclusive the two main masts. Unfortunately one of them broke apart and I did lost some parts to the carpet monster which need to be replaced. The broken mast was fixed again but the searchlight is still MIA...

After everything was dry I did place some main parts for a provisional test fit - now the ship slowly takes shape

This is how everything looks with the 2nd upperdeck and all main wooden parts installed provisionally - I´m very satisfied until now

I feel I slowly need to fix the ship onto a base in order to better work at the small parts for it. I planned from the beginning on to place the ship on a waterline Diorama. If it is fixed on a base handling should be more easier. Have to visit the carpenter next week...
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 04:25 PM UTC
Thomas,

you can indeed be very satisfied with your progress and results, that is looking mighty fine!! And she's really taking shape!

Cheers,
Jan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:58 PM UTC
Nice, very nice work. Really like the yellow turrets.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:43 PM UTC
Looking good Thomas
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi Thomas,

Coming on in leaps and bounds, looking great,.

Cheers

Si
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 01:48 AM UTC
Thank you all very much for your Feedback and good words - it keeps my spirit high with this project.

Tonight I treated all the tiny etched air intakes with black TAMIYA Panel liner and the results really pays off everything
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:28 AM UTC
This evening the crew for the Dingyuen arrived . I bought them from NorthStarModels and they are my first 3D printed parts and all I can say is WHOW! These are the most miniscule and crisp detailed men I saw until now in this scale! Just have absolutely no idea right now how to paint them - any advice for me?

I also received their etched set especially for this specific vessel. I dont need much of it anymore - mainly bought it because of the additional upper shrouds I do need for the two masts. The liferings and rudders for the small boats are nicely done and I will use them

In this set there were also cable reels provided. I got already cable reels together with the wooden deck set but now advice where the ship had any. In my documentations I also don´t see any - I will just leave them off therefore.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:43 PM UTC
I think you'll need a head visor magnifier and a micro brush to paint the crew Thomas
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:56 AM UTC
Russel you are right - magnifier-visor and microbrush will surely be needed though painting the facial details and rank emblems will still getting hard just kidding

To be honest I dont know how to put them off the carrier - they will be very fragile
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russel you are right - magnifier-visor and microbrush will surely be needed though painting the facial details and rank emblems will still getting hard just kidding

To be honest I dont know how to put them off the carrier - they will be very fragile

a nice sharp pair of side cutters will remove them cleanly me thinks-other wise you may just need to paint pained facial expression on the crew
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 01:30 AM UTC
Ahoy Thomas

A grest loking build thus far.

I love the figures what a great addition.

Cheers

Sean
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:19 PM UTC
@Sean: Welcome aboard mate and thanks for your comment. The figures will be a nasty task but I´ll give my best.

Today a small update: I did finished the forward upperdeck and made the railings for it. I also added two liferings (prepainted from EDUARD) at the railings. Looks nice now

to be continued...
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:41 PM UTC
Thomas,

very nice work and steady progress!!

I am particularly curious to see what you will be doing with the crew - tough job! But they certainly will bring the model to life!

Cheers,
Jan
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:51 AM UTC
@ Jan: Dankeschön! I don´t know what I am more scared of: painting the miniscule crew or the rigging job

Today I was able to finish a lot small parts. I did paint a lot of them at the sprue - prime first, paint the needed color, paint the second one, correct some spilled paint spots and so on. First I prepainted all lifeboats and tugs

Then I took care of the second upper deck, painted the red and green position lights and gave the wheelhouse real windows with Kristal Klear - it Looks very cool and realistic now; I like it a lot

The stern upperdeck received some small parts

After this was done I could not hold myself and pre-attached the unfinished 2nd upperdeck and the two masts. The chinese lady slowly becomes beautiful eh?

Now the dockyard workers are off for a well deserved beer...
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:33 AM UTC
I would not have been able to resist the urge either Thomas, looking good!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:26 AM UTC
She's looking good, Thomas! I especially like the pleasing contrast between the bright decks and yellow components and the black hull.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 06:48 AM UTC
Nice work on those launches. She is really shaping up nicely.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 01:53 PM UTC
looking nice and clean Thomas-good work
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:35 PM UTC
Great work Thomas.
I think I would prefer the rigging to painting 350th scale figures. I am not sure what colour the uniforms were but assuming blue or white I would spray them and just add dots of colour.It's all about perception in that you see what you expect to see and at that size you need a macro lens for us viewers to see the difference.

cheers

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 02:24 AM UTC
Great job Thomas,

Coming together really well, the masts look the business in place.

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thomas,

your dockyard workers definitely deserved a beer - sometimes it happens that they even share one with you

That's really a fine job you are doing there and she is already looking beautiful for sure!

Cheers,
Jan
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 01:10 PM UTC
Hello, Merry Christmas from Bavaria to all and thank you that you all like what I´m doing here . I was busy last week and had fun to finish some details at the ship. Lets see what I did:

I finished the compass-platform with all railings and its stairs

Then I finished the Wheel out of 6 tiny parts, primed and painted it and fixed it at its place on the stern upper deck

The two torpedoboats were primed black and are awaiting its final Color. Sources here are contradictory - some show it in plain white, some others in grey. Still not decided which color I will use for them...

Then I cared for the bow lifeboat davits - in BRONCO´s kit they are rather poorly represented and much too thick for my taste. Here was the PE-set from BLUE STAR helpful as they offer you etched davits, each out of 4 parts - clean and careful work is needed here!

same pic taken from a more smaller angle - here you can see clearly the double-T beam. A big difference to the kit´s plastic part

And this is how the lifeboats together with its davits are looking attached to its mothership. Nice eh?

slowly I really need to fix everything on a seabase for a safer work at the ship´s details. Its getting very fragile now
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 01:52 PM UTC
Nice work on the davits Thomas. They look much better than the kit parts for sure.
The torpedo boats are an interesting feature that I havent seen before on a ship. It always seems difficult sort the corect colour scheme with so little historical info about.

Cheers
Michael

Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 02:44 PM UTC
Thanks Michael,

I also have never seen these kinds of boats loaded onboard of a battleship. Regrettably I also don´t have any Designation about These specific boats so I can not look for any more details for them. As the Dingyuan (Ting Yuan is actually correctly spelled and spoken Dingyuan according to my beloved native chinese speaking women and means "eternal peace" - what an odd name for a battleship).

The two pictures I do have show the boats in a very light color. The one real Picture show them more lighter than the yellow turrets - thats why I assume I correctly paint them white. The drawing out of a contemporary german dictionary entry show them also in a very bright color but the upper decks in maybe gray and funnel in black?! Makes sense as the funnels in white?! will not last long during service...

What do you all think? Need your opinions