Can real wooden decks get overpainted?
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hello mates,

I do own several real wooden deck sets. At some cases (as for example the cruiser Varyag) the wooden deck is far too light and need to get toned down.

I do have one serious Question: Is it possible to overpaint these decks carefully with a thin cote of, for example, acrylic paint and let them dry again before application or do I damage the glue beneath it or the structure of the thin wood at all.

Anyone tried it before?

Thanks for some answers / opinions!

Cheer

Thomas
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi Thomas,
I'll start with the caveat that I have never tried it but I would think if you used acrylic paint on the wood you need a primer.
If I wanted to darken the deck I would try pigments i.e. the stuff Ammo or AK sell for weathering or a weak wash. Good thing is most wood deck offerings have surplus around the deck to experiment. I will be interested to see what you try and how it comes out.

cheers

Michael
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 12:38 PM UTC
Thomas, I wouldn't recommend painting the decks since that would conceal the wood and leave them looking little better than rough painted plastic. The biggest advantage of these wood decks is that 'nothing looks more like wood than wood.' If you want to darken or otherwise change the tone of the wood deck, the most effective approach would be to use wood stain. I agree with Michael that a good practice would be to experiment with leftover bits from the deck set until you find a tone that you like. Good luck with it!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 11:44 PM UTC
Not a lot of experience with wood ship decks, but a woodworking technique may be useful to you in this case. Before staining go over the deck with a damp cloth to raise the grain, then give it a very light sanding. If you stain it without doing that first, the stain will raise the grain, which will then have to be sanded off. That risks leaving you with an inconsistent finish.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 - 12:35 AM UTC
I don't know about painting the wood but I see modelers put down a dark wash and wipe away the excess. If done slowly the final results weren't bad.

Mark
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hello all,

thanks for all your input. It is a good idea trying out wood stain or Vallejos brown glaze over a spare slightly wetted and sanded wooden surface. Will have a look About that when I will start my Varyag. Not yet decided which ship will come next at my dockyard

Thanks again

Thomas
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all,

thanks for all your input. It is a good idea trying out wood stain or Vallejos brown glaze over a spare slightly wetted and sanded wooden surface. Will have a look About that when I will start my Varyag. Not yet decided which ship will come next at my dockyard

Thanks again

Thomas

Check out this video where he added wash to the wood deck on his Varyag. [url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkwjipkHjI&index=7&list=PLNv64WC6ItdyowGt1b5Z33J4Fu-fz827[/url]
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello all,

Thanks again

Thomas

Check out this video where he added wash to the wood deck on his Varyag. [url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkwjipkHjI&index=7&list=PLNv64WC6ItdyowGt1b5Z33J4Fu-fz827[/url]

Mark, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for that hint. Will try this one when I will build my Varyag one day.

Cheers

Thomas
 _GOTOTOP