_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
USS Lexington Found
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 03:13 AM UTC
https://www.paulallen.com/uss-lexington-wreck-located-rv-petrel/

EDIT: Old news brought to you by Bing™
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 03:36 AM UTC
Lexington being found is six month old news.

What is more recent news is the passing of Paul Allen whose underwater research efforts found her.He will be missed.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 03:41 AM UTC
Why did this pop up in my news this morning if its old news?! The article that was linked to it didn't even mention Paul Allens passing. Weird.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why did this pop up in my news this morning if its old news?! The article that was linked to it didn't even mention Paul Allens passing. Weird.

That is weird, this is definitely an old article though-- I check Bing every morning, and this was not in my "Bing" news stream at all. What many folks don't know about Paul Allen is he had an interest in Military history and was in fact a collector of Military equipment-- his Flying Heritage Museum in Arlington, Washington is a land and air museum containing examples of aircraft and armored vehicles, many of which are operational, including a Sherman tank, T-34, etc. His most recent acquisition was the hulk of a Japanese tank, destined for rebuild. He was also an avid model collector. I have a couple of acquaintances in our local modeling group that have been paid to build models for him, including one who built several V2 models in large scale-- one for his office (there is a V2 cutaway in the Flying Heritage museum). He will indeed be missed, hopefully his museums and historical pursuits will continue.
VR, Russ
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hope so. Don't want to see another collection broken up and scattered across numerous museums and private collectors.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That is weird, this is definitely an old article though-- I check Bing every morning, and this was not in my "Bing" news stream at all. What many folks don't know about Paul Allen is he had an interest in Military history and was in fact a collector of Military equipment-- his Flying Heritage Museum in Arlington, Washington is a land and air museum containing examples of aircraft and armored vehicles, many of which are operational, including a Sherman tank, T-34, etc. His most recent acquisition was the hulk of a Japanese tank, destined for rebuild. He was also an avid model collector. I have a couple of acquaintances in our local modeling group that have been paid to build models for him, including one who built several V2 models in large scale-- one for his office (there is a V2 cutaway in the Flying Heritage museum). He will indeed be missed, hopefully his museums and historical pursuits will continue.
VR, Russ

Here you can see my Bing feed

So you can see, I am not crazy.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 05:32 AM UTC
Your Bing feed is definitely different from my Bing feed. Bing is my IPad home page, and this AM I have a large photo of Dinosaur tracks in Tuba City Arizona (it changes daily) with the latest news articles across the bottom in a band. I think your Bing feed is a collection of past articles. The lead article this AM is on Justice Roberts take on the Supreme Court's "apolitical nature". Bing.com is what I use for finding the Bing home page.
VR, Russ
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 06:48 AM UTC
There is, like in most things, a very simple answer to why Lexington being found showing up on your morning news feed. It is an old story going back to I think March, BUT, in that same news feed you posted Charlie is another screen about the passing of Paul Allen. They probably recycled the Lexington story to compliment the story of Allen's passing
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 07:39 AM UTC
He was a great man. He found the Lexington, Juneau, Musashi, and the Indianapolis.
 _GOTOTOP