_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Trumpeter 1/350 S-100 Schnellboat
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 09:07 AM UTC
I am participating in the Trumpeter 5 campaign. I wanted to do something a little different from my usual Armor and also do something to kick start my ship building. This will be a more indepth thread than the progress pics I post over there. That being said, Its not a huge build so wont be that many pics

I went with the Trumpeter 1/350 S-100 Schnellboat. First kit I have built that comes in a blister pack! I am adding some PE to spruce it up a bit.

Kit is quite nice but not without some issues. Some filling needed to be done between the deck and hull. Also there were no location holes for the prop shafts so had to eyeball it. Think I got it looking ok. I need to clean up around the contact points.

Basic hull is complete. Added a 1/35 scale Panther wheel for size comparison. This is a very small kit.

Have to be honest, the part that gave me the most trouble so far was the PE stand.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 03:18 PM UTC
Rory, this little model looks good! I have a couple of the ancient Heller 1/400 Schnellbooten, but this slightly larger version from Trumpeter is FAR better. I look forward to seeing your progress with it.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 07:27 PM UTC
That is a nice looking little kit Rory,

I think I have one tucked away in the Prinz Eugen box, must take a closer look.

Nice start to the build too.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 - 04:49 AM UTC
Rory,

Off to a nice start. Just so happens that yesterday I was moving boxes around on a upper shelf and this same kit smacked me right in the face as I tilled the box I was moving it and drew a little blood. Go figure.

Mark
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC
Next update: It is a small kit with not a lot of parts so its going pretty quick.

Hull is painted. Its hard to see because its so narrow but there is a boot line there. And wasn't that fun to mask

I have also added the photo etch parts. Not that many to add, mainly just railings and ladders but it really does add that something extra! I had to make some adaptions since the PE set was geared mainly to the S-10 boat and didn't have all the stuff I needed.

Next up is paint and decals. My plan is to complete this tonight, making it a true weekend build!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 - 01:28 PM UTC
Sweet.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 05:53 AM UTC
Ahoy Rory

What a great weekend build.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers

Sean
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 11:35 AM UTC
Well this little build has come to an end. As hoped for I completed this last night. A true weekend build (started around noon on Saturday and completed at 2130 last night)

I really am happy with how it turned out. Simple and easy and really cheap for the price. Total for the kit and etch from ebay was around $16.

After taking the pics I went back and cleaned up some of the wash tide marks. They looked just fine with the Mk1 eyeball but zoomed in I saw the issues so ignore those if you would be so kind

And as always, a size comparison with my next biggest ship, the Trumpeter 1/350 USS England which was a small ship in her own right.

Next, its time to get cracking on the Dry Dock Campaign and I also have a few new vessels about to wash up on my shores.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 11:37 PM UTC
Very nice work. I have the same Kit so it is great to see what she can turn out to be like....Cheers mark
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 11:42 PM UTC
Nice!! And so small! If I ever tried to build something like this, to this level of artistry, it would take me a lot longer than a weekend!

Tim
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 08:39 AM UTC
Great weekend build Rory,

Made real little gem out a small kit.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 12:12 PM UTC
Rory, what a cracking build!

Well done and thanks for sharing!

If I remember rightly this kit comes as part of the Prinz Eugen kit as well, but after the slog of building her, I had no appetite to go on to the torpedo boat... But after seeing your fantastic build I'm thinking maybe I'll have to hunt around in the stash for it when I'm in need of a mojo restoring build
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 03:33 AM UTC
Thank you much for all the kind words

My mojo is returned! Last night the Mighty Mo came down off the shelf and I actually did some work on her.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you much for all the kind words

My mojo is returned! Last night the Mighty Mo came down off the shelf and I actually did some work on her.

Inspiration is so great fro this site!!

Great work man!!
 _GOTOTOP