_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Schnellboot Typ S-100
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 105 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 09:54 PM UTC
Goodmorning!

This is my first post here, and I would like to share some pictures of my first ship build with you! It is a 1:72 scale Schnellboot Typ S-100 by Revell. The model depicts S-204 'Lang' of the 4. Schnellboot Flotille, commanded by Lt.z.S. Klaus Hinrichs. S-204 is best know for its capture by the Royal Navy in Felixstowe in 1945. I used pictures of the captured boat to replicate S-204 in it's full glory, and made a seascape to present the model. Lastly, I added figures by Revell to add some life to the boat. I hope you like it!

With kind regards,

Jasper Breur

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 12:27 AM UTC
Jasper,

Awesome finish. The ship looks great, very nice detail and finish. The water base is wonderful, you have made it looking like its cruising right along on patrol.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 01:08 AM UTC
Jasper, that is some gorgeous work! I especially appreciate the ocean base - very effective. Can you share some of your techniques with us?
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hello Jasper and welcome to the forum as a presenter. I can only echo what Tim was saying, a very nice build and weathered ship on patrol in the quite Atlantic. Nice waves and figures posted on your boat.
What is next, you go big and build in 1:35 scale. In case of further 1:72 kits there are some details available for this scale to pimp your boat for the S100 and the S38 type (including wheelhouse): https://www.shapeways.com/shops/iron-models?section=1%2F72+Revell+Parts&s=0

Kind regards

Christian
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jasper,

Awesome finish. The ship looks great, very nice detail and finish. The water base is wonderful, you have made it looking like its cruising right along on patrol.

Mark

Thank you very much Mark! I really appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad you like it!

Jasper
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jasper, that is some gorgeous work! I especially appreciate the ocean base - very effective. Can you share some of your techniques with us?

Thank you very much Tim!

I used a technique pioneered by Chris Flodberg and Scott Withers. Scott has an Instagram account where he shares his work and techniques:70skid. I learned about the technique there, and decided to try it out for myself. These two forum threads provided by Scott are very useful too if you want to learn more about sculpting seascapes: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157503&p=637868#p637868 and http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155661. Chris also wrote an article on the technique in FineScale Modeler of April 2016. The technique I used is the lighter and insulation board technique Chris briefly describes in these forum threads. All the other steps are identical to the other techniques: Lot's of acryllic gesso, followed by the base colours. I airbrushed the colours on, which adds a lot of depth to the seascape. This was followed by multiple layers of Liquitex High Gloss varnish. The last step was to attach the boat and add the wake using cottonwool and Liquitex Gloss Medium, followed by another coat of Liquitex High Gloss to blend it all in. It really is a fairly simple technique when you consider the end result, I can highly recommend it!

Regards,

Jasper
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jasper and welcome to the forum as a presenter. I can only echo what Tim was saying, a very nice build and weathered ship on patrol in the quite Atlantic. Nice waves and figures posted on your boat.
What is next, you go big and build in 1:35 scale. In case of further 1:72 kits there are some details available for this scale to pimp your boat for the S100 and the S38 type (including wheelhouse)

Thank you Christian!

I am unsure about the next step, but 1:35 is right out as I simply can't store or display a model of that size. I would love to build Trumpeters HMS Belfast though. A 1:72 Schnellboot S-38 sounds very interesting too, I will make sure to add that to my wish list!

Jasper
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 07:15 AM UTC
Ahoy Jasper

Superb work I really like everything about the build but the base and water effect are fantastic.

The figures also add that extra dimension.

Well done indeed.

Cheers

Sean
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Jasper

Superb work I really like everything about the build but the base and water effect are fantastic.

The figures also add that extra dimension.

Well done indeed.

Cheers

Sean

Sean,

Thank you very much for the kind words! I’m happy to see you like it!

Regards,

Jasper
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 11:04 AM UTC
Excellent model and super presentation!

May I ask what colors you used on the hull.

Cheers,
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 12:41 PM UTC
Great Build Jasper. Love the effect in the first couple of photos, looks like the boat is cruising through some English channel fog.

cheers
Michael
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 09:48 PM UTC
Superb! In those first photos, I almost felt like I was out at sea!
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent model and super presentation!

May I ask what colors you used on the hull.

Cheers,

Cheers Joe!

I used Revell enamel #77 and #374
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great Build Jasper. Love the effect in the first couple of photos, looks like the boat is cruising through some English channel fog.

cheers
Michael

Thank you Michael!

I hadn’t even noticed that myself, but it looks like it’s sailing through fog indeed! Thanks for pointing that out!

Regards,

Jasper
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb! In those first photos, I almost felt like I was out at sea!

Thank you Timothy!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 09:55 PM UTC
I love it!

Gaz
 _GOTOTOP