Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Tamiya Yamato
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you everyone for their Comments much appreciated. Am really enjoying this Kit but it is a slow progress....Cheers mark

It's a massive kit to work through Mark, so no doubt this build will take a while
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you everyone for their Comments much appreciated. Am really enjoying this Kit but it is a slow progress....Cheers mark

It's a massive kit to work through Mark, so no doubt this build will take a while

She certainly will take a while Russ.....Cheers Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 01:52 PM UTC
OK have started work on her Pagoda Bridge. The Detail is great. Most of the P/E has been added and the Decks have been masked off for the Linoleum effect painted on. More to come soon.....Cheers mark

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 02:16 AM UTC
Mark,

Nice PE work, really enhances the looks of the bridge superstructure.

My research on deck color found that the IJN painted all linoleum decking on their capital ships the same grey as the rest of the ship. Do you know a source that says otherwise?

Mark
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 03:17 AM UTC
Mark - she is coming along nicely. Great work with the P/E!! Can't wait to see more.

Mark - Please share your source on the IJN painting the linoleum decking the same as the rest of the ship. I have never come across that information and would be interested to read it. To my knowledge, the IJN never painted the linoleum decking and left it in it's original linoleum brown color. There is even photo evidence that they would periodically replace the linoleum due to fading.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

Bridge structure is looking good, quite a lot going on.

Cheers

Si
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 02:14 PM UTC
Looking good Mark, I reckon you will working on this for a while, its a huge kit.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 - 11:17 AM UTC
Bridge structure looks good Mark.

Tricky stuff masking the decks like that-usually build them separately, myself
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark,

Nice PE work, really enhances the looks of the bridge superstructure.

My research on deck color found that the IJN painted all linoleum decking on their capital ships the same grey as the rest of the ship. Do you know a source that says otherwise?

Mark

One of the Books I am using for reference is by a well respected Japanese Modeller apart from the Kagero Book. He uses Deck linoleum colour as I have done. I look the way it breaks up the overall Monotone Colour....Cheers mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark - she is coming along nicely. Great work with the P/E!! Can't wait to see more.

Mark - Please share your source on the IJN painting the linoleum decking the same as the rest of the ship. I have never come across that information and would be interested to read it. To my knowledge, the IJN never painted the linoleum decking and left it in it's original linoleum brown color. There is even photo evidence that they would periodically replace the linoleum due to fading.

I would have to agree. I have never seen or heard of Japanese Capital Ships Painting their Linoleum areas Grey. Nearly all Japanese Capital Ships have Linoleum Deck Brown in areas onboard, particuly Their Catapault Decks.....Cheers Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Russel. I did it this way as I could gauge where to mask because the tolerances are so tight with this Kit that I did not want to sand small parts of Paint for the gluing surfaces....Cheers Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Russel. I did it this way as I could gauge where to mask because the tolerances are so tight with this Kit that I did not want to sand small parts of Paint for the gluing surfaces....Cheers Mark

I hear ya, Mark! Kit tolerances are getting finer and finer-even I've taken to masking off the mating surfaces before painting
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would have to agree. I have never seen or heard of Japanese Capital Ships Painting their Linoleum areas Grey. Nearly all Japanese Capital Ships have Linoleum Deck Brown in areas onboard, particuly Their Catapault Decks.....Cheers Mark

Mark,

I am been racking my brain as to where did I read that information about the deck colors on IJN capital ships. I been conflicted on this. It's why I haven't painted that section of my Kirishima build.

I have two photos one of the Kongo and another of the Kirishima, pre-1941 of deck shots clearly showing the linoleum painted a light brown around the aircraft catapults. I will post the source as soon as I can find it.

Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 12:48 AM UTC
Very nice work on the Pagoda Bridge, Mark! Looks really fine!

Cheers
Jan
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark,

I am been racking my brain as to where did I read that information about the deck colors on IJN capital ships. I been conflicted on this. It's why I haven't painted that section of my Kirishima build.

I have two photos one of the Kongo and another of the Kirishima, pre-1941 of deck shots clearly showing the linoleum painted a light brown around the aircraft catapults. I will post the source as soon as I can find it.

Mark

Mark nearly every Japanese Capital Ship had Linoleum Catapault Decks while Destroyers and Cruiser Main Decks were all Linoleuom to a fair degree.....Cheers mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work on the Pagoda Bridge, Mark! Looks really fine!

Cheers
Jan

Thanks for your comments Jan.....Cheers mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 10:39 PM UTC
Except for some P/E Rails her Bridge is basically complete. Will have some more soon.....Cheers mark

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 01:26 AM UTC
Mark,

Nice job with the assembly and paint work on the bridge. I really like the framing for the signal flags, should make the rigging easy to attach. Looks much nicer that the metal staples I use to attach the rigging.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 08:45 AM UTC
Mark, you've made the difficult appear to be easy!

Looking good!
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark,

Mark

Mark - The picture you saw might have been the linoleum that has faded. I have seen photos that show two different shades of linoleum with the caption stating that the darker linoleum had been recently replaced.

Mark - Amazing work on the bridge, the different colors really make her pop. Look forward to seeing more progress

Dave
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2019 - 12:31 AM UTC
David,

I know I read it somewhere while researching the IJN Kirishima build I am working on. I have not been able find anything in the books I have on IJN ships so I may have read it on line. The article said that the war time policy was that capital ships the linoleum was painted over. I have found overhead shots of IJN battleships and cruisers showing those areas to be a brown color but they were 1940 or earlier. I am still searching but I did paint the linoleum areas on the Kirishima a light redess brown.

Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 04:11 PM UTC
Just a small update. Have commenced work on her Midship Superstructure and have detailed her Stack. More to come soon.....Cheers Mark

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

Very nice progress, the etch on the funnel cap looks excellent.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 04:26 AM UTC
Mark,

Nice work with the placement of the ladders and PE on the stack. The PE ring around the stack always gives me fits, what is your technique on placement of those rings?

Mark
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 04:46 AM UTC
Mark - Nice work on the stacks and mid-ship upgrades. She is coming along very nicely.

Quoted Text

David,

I know I read it somewhere while researching the IJN Kirishima build I am working on. I have not been able find anything in the books I have on IJN ships so I may have read it on line. The article said that the war time policy was that capital ships the linoleum was painted over. I have found overhead shots of IJN battleships and cruisers showing those areas to be a brown color but they were 1940 or earlier. I am still searching but I did paint the linoleum areas on the Kirishima a light redess brown.

Mark

Mark - you have definitely peaked my interest on this particular topic. Would love to see that so that I can accurately reflect that policy on my builds. I hope you can find it.

Dave