Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
US Navy Measure 22 Query ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 06:46 AM UTC
Not being particularly experienced with ship modelling, I am looking for some information on the US Navy's wartime 'Measure 22' scheme … specifically whether there are any suitable enamels in the Humbrol or Revell range that could be used for the three colours: Navy Blue, Haze Grey and Deck Blue.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 08:56 AM UTC
Here in the states Model Master has those colors in enamel which I think makes the best paint for ships.

Mark
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 10:18 AM UTC
Your best bet would be the Colourcoats range, which can be bought here. They produce all three colours you require.
Andy
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 09:45 AM UTC
Be aware that there were two Measure 22s during the war. The Navy determined that they didn't need the blue coloring in 1944 and the demand was such that the price was high, so they reformulated the paints and started issuing neutrals versions in early 1945. It's hard to know specifically what ships were painted in it as there weren't specific records kept (Often in overhaul reports you simple see "Painted as per current regulations"). Generally speaking, anything overhauled in the US Mainland yards would be in the new neutral colors by February/March of 1945, whereas the ships that repainted in the more forward areas (Pearl Harbor, Espirito Santo, Ulithi, etc.) would have needed to run through the stocks they had on hand and receive new stocks, which the Navy of course didn't think was worth saving records that might have existed showing when.
SpurnWater71
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC
I have experience with both Colourcoats and Model Master US WWII naval paints on plastic, resin, and also pewter 1/2400 miniature ship models. Both paint brands are quality products, equally good on plastic. I prefer Colourcoats if my subject is resin or pewter.

I've found Colourcoats coverage to be excellent; my waterlines and camouflage pattern edges turn out very crisp and sharp, even the very fine ones on the pewter miniatures. Colourcoats does require a good quality thinner, if a cheaper variety thinner is used it will take a long time to dry. I don't use Model Master on pewter as it doesn't adhere as well to the metal surface and bleeds under masking tape.

As with any paint brand, a good cleaning and quality primer coat paves the way. 'Hope this helps...

Kip
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 - 02:03 AM UTC
Paul,

I would agree with Andy and Kip about the excellence of the Colourcoats paints.

SpurnWater71
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 - 04:48 AM UTC
When painting with colourcoats by hand, I've found that placing the paint in a metal (not plastic) palette tray well, mixing it with thinner, and letting it sit for no more than 3 minutes improves flow when brushing and gives a more consistent, less streaky coat. I suspect that this short wait evaporates some of the more volatile thinner chemicals that might not mix well with the paint. Thinner brand doesn't seem to matter.

Kip
 _GOTOTOP