_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
USS Ranger CV4, Norway 1943 - 1/350
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 11:23 AM UTC
I am still confined to the small table, and this is not a small kit, but this is a ship I have wanted to build for a while for a number of reasons; She seems to be forgotten compared to the other US Carriers , her layout is a little unusual with the folding funnels, I have an interest in anything to do with Norway in WW2; Ranger was the main striking unit of Operation Leader, an air strike on German shipping in Norwegian waters. The operation was a success, 5 ships sunk, 7 damaged for the loss of four aircraft.

The Trumpeter kit has had some negative comments about the fit, however, apart from Hellcats instead of Wildcats it seems about right for this operation.

The Kit.

The colour scheme depicted on the box is 1944, from what I have found, she was wearing Measure 22 in October '43.

The Hull.

The Bow is nice and sharp.

The hanger and flight deck components.

The kit etch, there are two of the smaller fret.

Lots of other sprues, the light AA guns could do with aftermarket, especially as the 40mm did not have shields. As I have the 40mm & 20mm left over from the failed CV11 build, they will work, will be a while before I need to think about the 5".

On with the keel laying.

Construction starts with the shafts. This looked like a potential recipe for problems, particularly as I had no brass rod the right size to replace the plastic shafts.

On test fitting, maybe not.

Both shafts in place, along with the rudder, very tidy fit.

The primer / anti fouling coat on.

Next, mask the anti fouling and spray in the Haze grey areas above the main deck level, then repeat for the Sea Blue.

One odd thing, It is a long time, I would guess thirty years at least, that a kit has gone almost straight to the bench (In this case table). It was a present from Mrs Duster and She was amazed by the prompt start.

All comments, constructive criticism etc. welcome.

Cheers

Si

Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 05:42 PM UTC
Mrs Duster made an excellent choice for a Christmas gift Simon. Ranger is another one of my favorites. Although I don't have a model of her, I do have a print I purchased at the Naval Academy about ten years ago hanging in my Man Cave/Shipyard. It shows Ranger about 1937 with a couple of F3F's overhead.

You are correct about measure 22. She did not receive her dazzle paint job until the spring of 44 and it was short lived. Although she was little recognized for her war time service, mainly due to speed and protection issues, she paid for herself in lessons learned that would be later applied to the Yorktown and Essex Classes.

Sorry to hear about Intrepid. Was just thinking about what became of her just today as I was reading your posts on other threads.

Will be keeping an eye on this build, and if you have any questions, my library is extensive.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mrs Duster made an excellent choice for a Christmas gift Simon. Ranger is another one of my favorites. Although I don't have a model of her, I do have a print I purchased at the Naval Academy about ten years ago hanging in my Man Cave/Shipyard. It shows Ranger about 1937 with a couple of F3F's overhead.

You are correct about measure 22. She did not receive her dazzle paint job until the spring of 44 and it was short lived. Although she was little recognized for her war time service, mainly due to speed and protection issues, she paid for herself in lessons learned that would be later applied to the Yorktown and Essex Classes.

Sorry to hear about Intrepid. Was just thinking about what became of her just today as I was reading your posts on other threads.

Will be keeping an eye on this build, and if you have any questions, my library is extensive.

Hi Chuck,

Glad to have you aboard. Mrs Duster is a very good at finding the right present.

The Intrepid, well that was a combination of being over ambitious opening the Hanger shutters and bad planning, too much fragile etch added too early, both inside and outside the hanger, left myself nowhere to go with masking. It is not a total waste, some of the parts, and the airwing will be recycled, and a failure that you learn from is not a total failure.

I have very little on this ship in my library, I am working off a couple of general books on carriers and what I have found on the net, so please feel free to jump in if I am going astray.

That print is a great thing to have on the den wall.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 - 12:47 AM UTC
Si,

I purchased this kit last year because I like hulls that come in one piece. Watched a you-tube video by Andy's Hobbyshop on his assembly of the Ranger. He had a few tips on assembly and things to look out for.

So how do you not knock off the rudder during the rest of the assembly? I think I am being careful and next thing I know the darn thing is laying on the bench.

I am on board watching this one, making the popcorn now.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

I purchased this kit last year because I like hulls that come in one piece. Watched a you-tube video by Andy's Hobbyshop on his assembly of the Ranger. He had a few tips on assembly and things to look out for.

So how do you not knock off the rudder during the rest of the assembly? I think I am being careful and next thing I know the darn thing is laying on the bench.

I am on board watching this one, making the popcorn now.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard Mate. Will take a look at that video, at least I know the hanger deck is a snug fit. (checked that out, I can save some masking by spraying before fitting.)

Must be blind luck, I haven't knocked rudders off, well not that often, and now that I look at, this it is rather vulnerable

Next job, getting the haze grey and sea blue on the hull.

Cheers

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 - 07:27 AM UTC
Simon: I have another print hanging on the den wall that is called Two Of A Kind, depicting Lexington and Saratoga operating together, as they often did, with a F4B overhead.

That inspired me to look at the Trumpeter Saratoga to see if it can be converted to Lexington about 1928, just after she was commissioned. Have not started the project yet, save the research. Mine will be in 1/700 though because I just do not have the space for a carrier in 1/350.

I think it is a shame that Trumpeter chose to model Lexington at Coral Sea, in a configuration she only had for about a month. I would think it better to give the builder the option, but then again I don't sell models, so what do I know.

Do hope that Ranger appears in 1/700 one of these days.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 03:54 AM UTC
Si - Great start on what looks to be an fun build. I am along for the ride!!

Dave
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon: I have another print hanging on the den wall that is called Two Of A Kind, depicting Lexington and Saratoga operating together, as they often did, with a F4B overhead.

That inspired me to look at the Trumpeter Saratoga to see if it can be converted to Lexington about 1928, just after she was commissioned. Have not started the project yet, save the research. Mine will be in 1/700 though because I just do not have the space for a carrier in 1/350.

I think it is a shame that Trumpeter chose to model Lexington at Coral Sea, in a configuration she only had for about a month. I would think it better to give the builder the option, but then again I don't sell models, so what do I know.

Do hope that Ranger appears in 1/700 one of these days.

Very nice Chuck,

Haven't thought much about decoration for my new shipyard / office / den, whatever it will be called, mostly because I don't know how much wall space I will have.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Si - Great start on what looks to be an fun build. I am along for the ride!!

Dave

Welcome aboard Dave,

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Cheers

Si
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 11:55 PM UTC
Si, I will definitely be checking in on this build. Your work is always top notch and an inspiration for me to try new techniques and expand my skills.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si, I will definitely be checking in on this build. Your work is always top notch and an inspiration for me to try new techniques and expand my skills.

Very kind of you to say so Thomas.

One of the great things about our hobby is that we never stop learning.

Glad to have aboard.

Cheers

Si

Cheers.

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 06:13 PM UTC
Following along with interest Si...

Never one to stand still for long

PS. What's the story with Intrepid?
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Following along with interest Si...

Never one to stand still for long

PS. What's the story with Intrepid?

Glad to have you aboard Russ,

Had a few stalls in progress this year, but getting there.

Intrepid, to cut a long story short; conversion, Pontos upgrade, additional detailing and complex camo needing very careful planning, that I got spectacularly wrong.

This one I an keeping simple.

There will be another Essex, sometime in the future.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 11:49 PM UTC
Progress over the last couple of days.

The lower hull masked ready for spraying.

Bad time for masking tape stock to run out of kitchen foil.

Haze grey areas sprayed.

and masked ready to spray the sea blue.

Sprayed and unmasked.

The Hanger and fo'c'sle decks painted.

And fitted in place.

Next, the boot topping and the screws, then on with the rest of the structure.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 12:42 AM UTC
Si,

Nice paint job. Is that a thumb print on the end of the hanger deck?

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Nice paint job. Is that a thumb print on the end of the hanger deck?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am afraid it is a thumb print, but with careful planning I placed it where it would be hidden by the foredeck.

Always appreciate you looking in mate.

Cheers

Si

rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 02:13 AM UTC
Si - nice progress, your speed of builds and ability to juggle multiple builds always amazes me. Im lucky if I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Nice work on the paint job, looking forward to seeing her as she progresses.

Dave
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si - nice progress, your speed of builds and ability to juggle multiple builds always amazes me. Im lucky if I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Nice work on the paint job, looking forward to seeing her as she progresses.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It is a nice simple scheme, but striking.

The multiple builds, well my building time tends to be one longish stretch a week, if I am not working on three or four things at once I spend too much time sitting around doing very little. It has sort of worked out that way as long as I have been married to Mrs Duster, and that is 25 years, so plenty of practice.

Cheers for looking in Mate & a Happy Nw Year.

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 09:13 AM UTC
Simon: When you get to the point with Ranger, where the hull is complete and the flight deck on, and all that is needed is to add the island, sit back in your chair, hold the model in front of you and take a look at what Ranger was supposed to look like as designed. Don't know why but the island was a last minute (so to speak) design change, and I have never known who prompted it. The aviators would rather have a pure flat top as we see in Langley, and the canceled United States (CV58), so I suppose it must have been the people who had to run the ship. Never found out for certain though.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon: When you get to the point with Ranger, where the hull is complete and the flight deck on, and all that is needed is to add the island, sit back in your chair, hold the model in front of you and take a look at what Ranger was supposed to look like as designed. Don't know why but the island was a last minute (so to speak) design change, and I have never known who prompted it. The aviators would rather have a pure flat top as we see in Langley, and the canceled United States (CV58), so I suppose it must have been the people who had to run the ship. Never found out for certain though.

Interesting Chuck,

Will do that when I get that far. I do like to learn a bit about the ships I build.

I am looking forward to the Langley kit being released, again on this side of the pond, a bit of a forgotten ship, but definitely one for me.

Cheers

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 05:59 AM UTC
Well Simon if you are in the mood for even more Ranger trivia, I bet you did not know that two Ranger pilots Tex Hill and Ed Rector who later became AVG (Flying Tiger) aces flew dive bombers off Ranger during the Neutrality Patrol days of 40 and 41.

Ah,The Old Covered Wagon. I think you are in for a boat load (pardon the pub) with Langley, going only by the girder structure that supports he flight deck. No matter what the decal sheet says don't apply the letter designation for Langley on the flight deck. She never had one, making her unique from the rest of our pre-war carriers, including Hornet.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Simon if you are in the mood for even more Ranger trivia, I bet you did not know that two Ranger pilots Tex Hill and Ed Rector who later became AVG (Flying Tiger) aces flew dive bombers off Ranger during the Neutrality Patrol days of 40 and 41.

Ah,The Old Covered Wagon. I think you are in for a boat load (pardon the pub) with Langley, going only by the girder structure that supports he flight deck. No matter what the decal sheet says don't apply the letter designation for Langley on the flight deck. She never had one, making her unique from the rest of our pre-war carriers, including Hornet.

Much appreciated Chuck,

There little nuggets of info are always interesting.

The Langley kit, that is going to be made or broken by how Trumpy handle the girder structure, mind I would not be surprised if an etched replacement will be available if required.

Thanks for looking in.

Si

Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 05:43 PM UTC
I will be willing to bet that Trumpeter provides the PE for the girders and offers no plastic option.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be willing to bet that Trumpeter provides the PE for the girders and offers no plastic option.

You could be right Chuck, although I did see on Hannants website in their future releases section an upgrade set produced by Trumpeter for the kit, so we will have to wait & see.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 09:30 AM UTC
A bit of progress over the weekend.

The screws painted and on.

Building up the Hanger sides, the plan is to build these parts as a series of sub assemblies, spray them inside and out before gluing in place.

Starting at the stern.

The port funnel bay. (for want of a better expression)

Test fitted.

Some addtions to the air wing.

The plan will be to have the Northern strike of Operation Leader on deck, (20 SBDs and 8 F4Fs) with the Avengers and more Wildcats for the Southern Group in the Hanger.

More soon.

Si

_GOTOTOP