Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
1/200 Nichimo Hatsuzuki build
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice start on the bridge detail Tim,

Will add a nice amount of depth, are you going to leave the doors into the wheelhouse open?

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si. Yes, I'm building more details to add in the wheelhouse, but it will be pretty hard to see in there through those small bridge windows... so open doors should help!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 11:11 PM UTC
Love the level of detail you're adding to this model, Tim
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Love the level of detail you're adding to this model, Tim

Thanks Russ. Adding extra details is one of my favorite aspects of modeling... although I seem to be going off the rails at the moment adding components that will be difficult to see inside the pilothouse!

Kagero Publishing’s The Japanese Destroyer Akizuki by Mariusz Motyka and Lukasz Stach (ISBN 978-83-62878-69-7) has a beautiful rendering of the navigation bridge interior.

Following this and the images in the Kojinsha Maru Mechanic Mechanism of Japanese Destroyers book, I built up Hatsuzuki’s type 90 magnetic compass and helm from plastic sheet and sprue scrap. The wheel is an etched brass part from Gold Medal Models 1/350 Emden/Dresden set, and the quadrantal correctors (the iron spheres fitted in brackets on either side of the binnacle) began life as the rollerballs in ball point pens.

I also built up simple gyrocompass, repeater, and engine order telegraph assemblies.

Test fitted in place, they show just how crowded the navigation bridges were on these small ships!
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 02:54 AM UTC
Lookin' awesome, Mr. R.!!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 05:11 AM UTC
Tim,

Nice job upgrading the navigation bridge. That compass and wheel assembly looks bigger than some of your ships you built...LOL.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 06:17 AM UTC
What the guys said,

the binnacle is a very nice piece of work, the wheelhouse is looking nice busy.

very much enjoying following along.

Cheers

Si
bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC
Tim,

At least you are giving the people that really look at the model something to discover. Besides, there is always the old saying "At least I know it is there!"....

Fantastic build, and I am definitely enjoying following you through it....

Bob
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 01:28 PM UTC
Awesome detail work, as always Obiwan. The force is truly with you.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 10:59 PM UTC
That's awesome, Tim.But I love seeing it, too.
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 03:09 PM UTC
Very impressive Tim ! Really enjoy watching this one !
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 05:39 AM UTC
Tim,

that's absolutely stunning!! Seeing the master of micro modeling applying his skill to a 1/200 model...unbelievable detail. I love the way you are approaching the pilot house with all the interior!

Cheers
Jan
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 05:30 PM UTC
It's good to see that I am not the only one who goes nuts adding things that may not be seen. You attention to detail is fantastic along with your Skills Mate. Love it so far.....Cheers mark
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 02:16 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate your kind comments! It is good to hear that I'm not entirely alone in my crazy micro world...

Here's hoping that at least SOME of this stuff will be visible through those tiny bridge windows... but that's a worry for another day.

For now, after I began scratchbuilding the Hatsuzuki’s bridge interior I found that there are a number of 1/200 scale 3D printed Imperial Japanese Navy navigation bridge parts commercially available as well.

I’ll still use my scratchbuilt components, but the bridge will now also sport Shapeways 3D-printed IJN gyrocompass repeaters and voice tubes by ModelShipJP (Shingo Nakamura).

These parts are beautifully designed, although the Shapeways production standard of “Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic” is inferior to the Model Monkey 3D-resin gas cylinder parts I had used earlier. Still, the frost-like surfaces of the parts can be smoothed with steel wool, and once painted they will do a lot to busy-up the already crowded navigation bridge.

This postwar picture of the former IJN Yukikaze’s bridge gives a sense of how crammed with equipment these WWII destroyer pilothouses were.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 08:40 AM UTC
Love those tiny details, Tim. Surprised there is so much out there.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 12:01 AM UTC
Tim,

Those 3D models will give the PE and Resin market a run for their money. I hope Shapeway's increase their offering of 3D products for Japanese ships and Model Monkey enhances their offering for British and Japanese ships.

Mark
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Love those tiny details, Tim. Surprised there is so much out there.

Quoted Text

Tim, Those 3D models will give the PE and Resin market a run for their money. I hope Shapeway's increase their offering of 3D products for Japanese ships and Model Monkey enhances their offering for British and Japanese ships.

Mark

Though the parts are expensive and fussy to work with, I agree, 3D printing technology offers a great new option to fill gaps not served by traditional etched metal or poured resin aftermarket. The range of potential products is limitless, and the detail possible far exceeds what can be economically produced by traditional resin casting.

I hope in future more products are produced using Model Monkey’s gray resin process, like these oxygen and acetylene cylinders I applied earlier on the funnel:

Model Monkey employs a different technology than that used by other 3D-printing companies like Shapeways; the gray resin is not nylon but rather an acrylate-based plastic chemically similar to Plexiglas. The parts print up much cleaner and sharper, and the solid gray is simpler to work with than the semi-clear material Shapeways uses.

Ultimately, though, even the lesser quality Shapeways parts offer tremendous new opportunities to go nuts with detailing – and that’s really the point, right?!

McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Model Monkey employs a different technology than that used by other 3D-printing companies like Shapeways; the gray resin is not nylon but rather an acrylate-based plastic chemically similar to Plexiglas. The parts print up much cleaner and sharper, and the solid gray is simpler to work with than the semi-clear material Shapeways uses.

I will never not have anything good to say about Model Monkey and their products. They are excellent and the company is now in possession of quite a lot of my $$$
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 10:56 AM UTC

As with the voice tubes, the 3D printed 12cm horizontal and high angle binoculars initially looked great when I received them.

Unfortunately, they too were covered with those 3D printing “artifacts” that had to be cleaned off. The rough leftovers proved tedious to remove as the parts are very small and the plastic is extremely brittle (I broke several during this cleaning).

Despite the difficulties, though, the parts do clean up nicely. Here they are test fitted in Hatsuzuki’s pilothouse alongside the other previously scratchbuilt components.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
Tim, How are you cleaning those parts? I think I read a while back that the roughness of these “printed” parts can be cleaned off using a tiny brush and some paint or lacquer thinner if you’re careful. Have you tried that?
VR, Russ
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim, How are you cleaning those parts? I think I read a while back that the roughness of these “printed” parts can be cleaned off using a tiny brush and some paint or lacquer thinner if you’re careful. Have you tried that?
VR, Russ

Naw, I was afraid of melting the tiny parts with solvent, so I limited my tools to fine steel wool and harsh language! Actually, with a bit of care and patience they do clean up well enough.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 09:34 PM UTC
The bridge layout looks right with the parts test fitted Tim, Feels like you could walk on to it and take the con.

Cheers

Si

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 08:22 AM UTC
Tim,

I believe the material that Shapeway uses requires to be cure by exposing the material in the sun for a couple of hours, did you do that or am I wrong about the curing in the sun. I was wondering if that could had been why they were brittle. So far I only used their mushroom vents and I had no problem removing them from the base or smoothing out the rough spots.

Mark
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 12:58 PM UTC
Bridge looks awesome, Tim!
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 04:00 AM UTC
Si and Gary, thanks! Those 3D printed detail parts are pretty awesome!

TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim,

I believe the material that Shapeway uses requires to be cure by exposing the material in the sun for a couple of hours, did you do that or am I wrong about the curing in the sun. I was wondering if that could had been why they were brittle. So far I only used their mushroom vents and I had no problem removing them from the base or smoothing out the rough spots.

Mark

Mark,

I tried working the Shapeways parts as they arrived, but they were incompletely cured and so slightly gooey. Exposing them to sunlight as Shapeways recommended did harden them up nicely, but the fully cured material is inherently brittle. Cleaning them up actually wasn’t really all that difficult, just more fussy than traditional molded polystyrene plastic or the Model Monkey style acrylate-based gray resin 3D printed parts. The upshot is that although not perfect, these parts offer the possibility of huge detail improvements with less effort than scratchbuilding... so really, I can’t complain!