Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
Modern US Navy Ship Letter Decals
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 10:06 AM UTC
I'm getting everything ready to work on a new project, but I need to find some decals.

I'm doing a modern (mid '80s) US Navy vessel and while I have the right numbers to put on, I need some letters.

Specifically, what I need are the white "shaded" (with the black background) letters approximately 3.5 mm high, as well as some plain white letters with no shading approximately 2 mm in height.

Any good leads?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm getting everything ready to work on a new project, but I need to find some decals.

I'm doing a modern (mid '80s) US Navy vessel and while I have the right numbers to put on, I need some letters.

Specifically, what I need are the white "shaded" (with the black background) letters approximately 3.5 mm high, as well as some plain white letters with no shading approximately 2 mm in height.

Any good leads?

You didn’t mention the scale, or type of ship, but you might take a look at Starfighter Decals:

https://starfighter-decals.com/index.html

VR Russ
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks Russ. Looking through these it doesn't appear to have anything I can use.

The scale I'm building is 1/350, but that isn't exactly the consideration. I have a set of 1/350 USN decals and it has plenty of numbers, shaded and unshaded of lots of sizes.

Among the various sizes on the sheet there are two different height numbers (one shaded and the other not) which will be perfect.

But what I need are letters to go with them, and based on the photos I have for reference, the size of the shaded and non shaded are really what matters.

I can probably get away with some transfer sheet decals I have for the non-shaded but it's pretty crucial I have the correct height shaded letters.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 02:17 PM UTC
Tom,
Do you have the same sized separate white and black letters? Sometimes you can get away with overlaying white over the black decals to create what you need. I know there’s another manufacturer of shaded letters, but for the life of me can’t recall who it is right now— White Ensign maybe?— But I think they are out of business. If I knew what you needed, and what size (in mm would be best), I could go through my small stash and see what I have on hand— I have a bit of 1/700 scale stuff, it might cross over to 1/350 if I knew what you needed.
VR, Russ
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 04:03 PM UTC
Thanks Russ, I have the Freetime Hobbies 1/350 USN Warship Decals Sheet, and it has the shaded numbers I'll need as well as some plain ones that I need in another location.

The problem is that there are no letters. I have some dry transfer sheets in my basement and I'll start rummaging through my stash tomorrow and see what I have, but while I suspect that I MIGHT have some I'm a bit skeptical. I used a lot of that stuff doing some white bumper numbers on some armor vehicles.

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 05:37 PM UTC
Does THIS set from Gold Medal Models include the letters you require?

Or this set from Hawk Graphics http://www.hawk-graphics.com/ in Canada
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 03:41 AM UTC
Luciano, thanks for the response. The Hawk Graphics might have worked, except it's missing one of the shaded letters I need, and I can't be certain that the non-shaded ones are the same height as the numbers I have.

The GMM sheets actually have the helicopter landing markings I need, but unfortunately it appears that sheet has been discontinued.

I've had great success with Black Lion Decals in the Netherlands making custom decals for me in the past, and given what I'm looking for, I think they'll be the best bet. Rather than try to put individual letters and numbers together one at a time, they'll just put the whole string together as one decal, and I can have them make as many of them as I need.

Thanks to everyone, and hopefully before too long I'll start my build log on this project, probably by the end of summer.
 _GOTOTOP