General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher class destroyer build
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Model Shipwrights: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 12:17 PM UTC
Oh thats fine. the ones on eBay are worth the money I guess, there resin, PE and copper barrels!
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 02:53 PM UTC
I also just bought the Hobby boss 1/350 type 7b u-boat, which comes with a little photo etch itself so it should be a nice quick build. If you watched the Greyhound trailer you will you what I mean, Im building the u-boat with the wolf head on the conning tower!
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 03:28 PM UTC
Check Black Cat Models out of France. Their numbers of products seem to grow daily. I believe they have the twin and quad 40mm's. I know they have a complete Fletcher Class upgrade set. That too is a little pricey, over a 100 bucks, but contains about everything necessary to make a masterpiece.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 11:31 PM UTC
Welcome to the salty side of the hobby Ezra

Hopefully you can sort the supply of the AM soon

Watching with interest
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 02:27 AM UTC
This should be an interesting build. A late war Fletcher filling in for a fictional early 1942 fit Mahan class DD.

In a way the Tamiya Fletcher is a better fit since the OOB kit is chronologically closer to the 1942 Mahan than the 1945 Kidd.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 03:16 AM UTC
Thanks Chuck. But ive found everything though but the dual oerlikons.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This should be an interesting build. A late war Fletcher filling in for a fictional early 1942 fit Mahan class DD.

In a way the Tamiya Fletcher is a better fit since the OOB kit is chronologically closer to the 1942 Mahan than the 1945 Kidd.

From what I heard they filmed Greyhound on the 1945 uss Kidd so it should be accurate to the movie.
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 10:20 AM UTC
Ezra: Before I went searching for twin 20mm guns I would check with Rick Davis.

Kidd was refitted in the beginning of 1945, then sometime again in the spring or early Summer of that same year. In the later refit she received the anti-Kamikazi modifications which would have included swapping out seven 20mm single mounts for six 20mm twins. Looking at pictures of her today she is carrying 20mm singles from what I can tell from the available photos.

I suggest checking with Rick, because a lot of strange things happened in those days, and there were some deviations from the norm, I suppose for various reasons, most notably availability. If anyone knows Kidd's correct fit it is Rick Davis. Take what he says to the bank.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 04:07 AM UTC
Thank you Chuck, how do I get in contact with Rick?
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:20 AM UTC
Greyhounds out tomorrow! Whos Excited?!?!
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 12:18 PM UTC
Ezra: Rick is here occasionally, but is a frequent visitor on Steel Navy. That is where I see him most.

By the way, twin 20mm's are available from Freetime Hobbies under their own label. I have a set, almost gone now, and I think they are quite good.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 01:34 PM UTC
Thanks Chuck, but I just found some at black cat models that I will use when I find the proper placement of the orikons.
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 03:23 PM UTC
The standard 20mm fit with a mid-war configuration which Kidd was until the spring of 45 was

A pair of single 20mm's in the waste position on both the starboard and port sides. They are in the same approximate position that the Tamiya Fletcher has them. I say approximate because some were positioned further forward (by feet not much) on some ships, and it appears that the exact location of these four single 20mm's differed somewhat from ship to ship. The mid-war fit also featured three single 20mm's in a triangular shaped tub on the fantail.

The standard anti-Kamikazi for was to swap out twins for all four of the singles in the waste position, and reconfigure the triangular shaped tub on the fantail to one of oval shape, which mounted two 20mm twins
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The standard 20mm fit with a mid-war configuration which Kidd was until the spring of 45 was

A pair of single 20mm's in the waste position on both the starboard and port sides. They are in the same approximate position that the Tamiya Fletcher has them. I say approximate because some were positioned further forward (by feet not much) on some ships, and it appears that the exact location of these four single 20mm's differed somewhat from ship to ship. The mid-war fit also featured three single 20mm's in a triangular shaped tub on the fantail.

The standard anti-Kamikazi for was to swap out twins for all four of the singles in the waste position, and reconfigure the triangular shaped tub on the fantail to one of oval shape, which mounted two 20mm twins

Right Chuck, and the Kidd is in its august 1945 configuration ( or so says my reference book: Tin can sailors USS Kidd.) presently.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 04:43 PM UTC
Here is a photo of the kidd presently, can anyone tell if the oerlikons are double barreled or single? https://live.staticflickr.com/3059/2463325240_3b15ee3fbb_b.jpg
( my bet is on double, because if you look closely on each gun you can see a second magazine. also check this video it shows doubles on the rear as well.)
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 06:01 AM UTC
The website for the USS Kidd museum lists her armament as 6 x twin 20mm orlikons so I think you are good for the twins.

Also this article has a clear photo of one of her current twins.

http://www.thelouisianaweekend.com/uss-kidd-completes-large-scale-puzzle-with-destroyers-final-missing-piece/
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The website for the USS Kidd museum lists her armament as 6 x twin 20mm orlikons so I think you are good for the twins.

Thats what I thought too.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 04:01 AM UTC
I want a vote guys, should I open one of the doors of the 5" guns and scratch build a small interior?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want a vote guys, should I open one of the doors of the 5" guns and scratch build a small interior?

Ezra, That’s a great idea but you may need a scanning electron microscope to build it, and for anyone who wants to see it!
VR, Russ
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 06:02 AM UTC
Todays haul just came in the mail! The Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher, Tamiya 1/350 detail crew set, Toms Model Works 1/350 Buckley photo etch set and two sets of Verlinden 1/350 ship railings ( I got all that for $18!) and the master model 1/350 quad Bofor set! The wood base in the back im staining myself.
( hopfully more will come tomorrow. Lets get building!!! )
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 07:47 AM UTC
First of many modifications done I scratch built ( bent some copper sheet! ) the august 1945 dual orly gun tubs. Now I just need to add some details to it. ( After I clean up the super glue.)

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 10:05 AM UTC
Ezra, looks like a good haul. Nice work on the aft gun mount shield too. Where’d you get all that for just $18? Just a comment about the base. If your going to use a base like that, and mount your model on an angle “at sea”, that’s great. But if you plan to mount it on finials ( which I think was your intent right?) you would make the base overhang the bow and stern, rather than the other way around. There’s two reasons for this—1) it will prevent damage to the model when handling or shipping, 2) it will allow you to more easily buy or build a display case for the model if you think that might be in its future.
VR, Russ
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 12:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ezra, looks like a good haul. Nice work on the aft gun mount shield too. Where’d you get all that for just $18? Just a comment about the base. If your going to use a base like that, and mount your model on an angle “at sea”, that’s great. But if you plan to mount it on finials ( which I think was your intent right?) you would make the base overhang the bow and stern, rather than the other way around. There’s two reasons for this—1) it will prevent damage to the model when handling or shipping, 2) it will allow you to more easily buy or build a display case for the model if you think that might be in its future.
VR, Russ

1. I bought it all on eBay ( insert wirid al parody. ) 2. yes I was going to mount it on finials parallel to my u-boat im painting up from the movie, So I might look into a new base.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you know of any manufacturers that ship from the US that sell dual orlikon cannons in 1/350?

https://freetimehobbies.com/1-350-blue-ridge-models-20mm-twin-oerlikon-pedestal-base-x24-3d-printed/

https://www.amazon.com/Alliance-Model-Works-Oerlikon-NW35052/dp/B005CVDPXG Only 2 left in stock when I found these!

Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Do you know of any manufacturers that ship from the US that sell dual orlikon cannons in 1/350?

https://freetimehobbies.com/1-350-blue-ridge-models-20mm-twin-oerlikon-pedestal-base-x24-3d-printed/

https://www.amazon.com/Alliance-Model-Works-Oerlikon-NW35052/dp/B005CVDPXG Only 2 left in stock when I found these!

Thanks! I bought the ones form free time hobbies!