Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
Weathering
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Model Shipwrights: 146 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 11:27 AM UTC
Ok I have a question ive finished the hull on my Fletcher, Do you think its ok to do some weathering, on just the hull then tie it in with each bit I finish. Or just weather it all at once? Thanks!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 12:21 PM UTC
Might depend on the kind of weathering you plan, but if it is something that will be confined to the hull, like rust marks from scratches or marine creature buildup go ahead and do it now, but if it is stuff like run-off from the deck creating stains down the sides then that is stuff I would do later.

For example, on a tank I might weather the road wheels individually to show random chipping or damage to the rubber, but wait until they are on the vehicle before applying dust effects or mud so that everything matches up in placement and color. Make sense?
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Might depend on the kind of weathering you plan, but if it is something that will be confined to the hull, like rust marks from scratches or marine creature buildup, then that is stuff I would do later.

For example, on a tank I might weather the road wheels individually to show random chipping or damage to the rubber, but wait until they are on the vehicle before applying dust effects or mud so that everything matches up in placement and color. Make sense?

That makes sense, ill do that Thanks!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 12:57 PM UTC
I just realized I accidentally deleted the middle of one of my sentences...see edited post above.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 01:45 PM UTC
I find it easier to work from the hull up. Weathering and assembled as I go, with a light wash to blend it all in. Just prevents breaking off all bits on a ship that stick up.

Another word of advice is to thoroughly examine every photo of the ship and class so that you can to identify weathering patterns. Think about the ships history and time period you're modelling. If it's not long after a refit, chances are it will have a fresh coat of paint. End of a patrol or after some heavy fighting, the ships going to look a bit more worn out. Warships are generally well looked after even in war, it is after all a very large and expensive piece of equipment. Cleaning and repainting also keeps idle crew occupied and busy.

It's easy to go mad with the rust streaks. Have done that myself a couple of times. Worst was my build of HMS Kelly in Mountbatten pink which I plastered the rust on. It looked horrible after standing back and looking at it. And then a little digging around indicated that the ship was recently repainted before her loss. So weathering would have been minimal expect for perhaps some staining from the anchor. You live and learn.

Some on the other hand got beat up very quickly. Cheaply made Flower-class Corvettes for example, tended to look like floating scrapyards at the end of every convoy duty!

uboat.net is a good place to start for basic histories and records for lots of allied and axis warships.

Hope it helps, all the best.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find it easier to work from the hull up. Weathering and assembled as I go, with a light wash to blend it all in. Just prevents breaking off all bits on a ship that stick up.

Another word of advice is to thoroughly examine every photo of the ship and class so that you can to identify weathering patterns. Think about the ships history and time period you're modelling. If it's not long after a refit, chances are it will have a fresh coat of paint. End of a patrol or after some heavy fighting, the ships going to look a bit more worn out. Warships are generally well looked after even in war, it is after all a very large and expensive piece of equipment. Cleaning and repainting also keeps idle crew occupied and busy.

It's easy to go mad with the rust streaks. Have done that myself a couple of times. Worst was my build of HMS Kelly in Mountbatten pink which I plastered the rust on. It looked horrible after standing back and looking at it. And then a little digging around indicated that the ship was recently repainted before her loss. So weathering would have been minimal expect for perhaps some staining from the anchor. You live and learn.

Some on the other hand got beat up very quickly. Cheaply made Flower-class Corvettes for example, tended to look like floating scrapyards at the end of every convoy duty!

uboat.net is a good place to start for basic histories and records for lots of allied and axis warships.

Hope it helps, all the best.

Cool thanks That helps a lot!
 _GOTOTOP