_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
HMS Exeter 1939.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 09:57 AM UTC
Something different in size and complexity to the other two builds on the bench.

HMS Exeter.

The kit is pretty good is not bad at all, just a couple things B gundeck has no deck planking, which it should at this period, and the bridge, which is a very nice piece of slide moulding, including the open windows below the compass platform, except for the see -through look. (both will be cured - more on that later)

The kit.

The aftermarket.

A bit more restrained this time.

Eduard etch,
Infini deck,
Master gun barrels.

The deck cures the B gundeck issue.

The hull on the stand.

The propeller shafts and rudder fitted.

The hull sprayed with red primer, which also doubles as anti fouling red.

a bit of light destruction on the decks to take the wood overlays.

More soon.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 10:04 AM UTC
on board for the ride, mate
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 10:17 AM UTC
Immediate follow Si!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 11:13 AM UTC
Si,

Nice choice. I always like this design of British heavy cruiser, nice lines. It been on my wish list for long time. Maybe your build will open the wallet.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 12:06 PM UTC
Go Si! I built the Matchbox 1/700 version of Exeter many years ago, made a real mess of it. I'm looking forward to seeing the ship as she should look!

ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 03:00 AM UTC
I'm in. Should be an informative build.

EJ
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

on board for the ride, mate

Hi Russ,

Glad to have you aboard mate.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Immediate follow Si!

Thanks Rory,

Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Nice choice. I always like this design of British heavy cruiser, nice lines. It been on my wish list for long time. Maybe your build will open the wallet.

Mark

Welcome aboard Mark,

Exeter and York are compact but still quite punchy cruisers, the quite spase upperworrks make them look quite racy.

Always had a soft spot for the pair.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Go Si! I built the Matchbox 1/700 version of Exeter many years ago, made a real mess of it. I'm looking forward to seeing the ship as she should look!

Thanks Tim,

Welcome aboard. I well remember the old matchbox kit, not even state of the art in their day, but at least she looked about right.

I am looking forwwrd to building my first British cruiser in this scale.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in. Should be an informative build.

EJ

Thanks EJ

Welcome aboard, I will do my best not to disappoint.

Cheers

Si
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 06:46 AM UTC
Another great choice Si! Is there a small place left at the bridge for me to watch your build?

I too have this kit together with the extensive SHIPYARD upgrade set . There are some question about this ship: Some say that the red EX writings on top of the gun towers should be black indeed. And I am curious about the color of the walrus aircraft (silver or camouflaged). Therefore I will follow with interest your build.

Intended to build the Exeter in the near future after my Schleswig-Holstein but maybe makes more sense now to start its former archenemy the Admiral Graf Spee in her Plate River livery, hehehe
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another great choice Si! Is there a small place left at the bridge for me to watch your build?

I too have this kit together with the extensive SHIPYARD upgrade set . There are some question about this ship: Some say that the red EX writings on top of the gun towers should be black indeed. And I am curious about the color of the walrus aircraft (silver or camouflaged). Therefore I will follow with interest your build.

Intended to build the Exeter in the near future after my Schleswig-Holstein but maybe makes more sense now to start its former archenemy the Admiral Graf Spee in her Plate River livery, hehehe

Hi Thomas,

Glad to have aboard. I have been digging around about the colour of the "EX" and so far have not reached a conclusion as to which is correct.

The Walrus, again I cannot find a conclusive photograph, however my best guess would be that it was camouflaged. Basis for this, the Exeter arrived in Plymouth 17/08/39 for a refit, so the aircraft she was carrying would have been landed. The refit was cancelled and she sailed for the South Atlantic 25/08/39, As by this time the Fleet Air Arm had repainted most of it's aircraft in Camouflage, I am assuming whichever aircraft we embarked would have been camouflaged.

I did look at the infini full upgrade set, but as I already had the Eduard set and the Master Barrels, for once I decided to be sensible on my expenditure.

Cheers

Si
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

for once I decided to be sensible on my expenditure.

What is this word sensible? I have no idea what it means
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Thomas,

Glad to have aboard. I have been digging around about the colour of the "EX" and so far have not reached a conclusion as to which is correct.

The Walrus, again I cannot find a conclusive photograph, however my best guess would be that it was camouflaged. Basis for this, the Exeter arrived in Plymouth 17/08/39 for a refit, so the aircraft she was carrying would have been landed. The refit was cancelled and she sailed for the South Atlantic 25/08/39, As by this time the Fleet Air Arm had repainted most of it's aircraft in Camouflage, I am assuming whichever aircraft we embarked would have been camouflaged.

I did look at the infini full upgrade set, but as I already had the Eduard set and the Master Barrels, for once I decided to be sensible on my expenditure.

Cheers

Si

Hey Si/Thomas

I would take a look at Sovereign hobbies website as they have quite extensive research on the colours of WW2 RN vessels and may be able to help...
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 06:28 AM UTC
Really looking forward to this one Simon. I have always been attracted to anything concerning the pursuit of the Admiral Graf Spee, since I first saw the movie as a teenager.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

for once I decided to be sensible on my expenditure.

What is this word sensible? I have no idea what it means

To be honest neither have I,

I guess in Ship Modelling terms it is when you spend less than twice the cost of the kit on aftermarket.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Thomas,

Cheers

Si

Hey Si/Thomas

I would take a look at Sovereign hobbies website as they have quite extensive research on the colours of WW2 RN vessels and may be able to help...

Good call Russ,

Jamie is a font of knowledge on ship colours. Very nice guy too.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really looking forward to this one Simon. I have always been attracted to anything concerning the pursuit of the Admiral Graf Spee, since I first saw the movie as a teenager.

Welcome aboard Chuck,

Likewise, and I still have copy of it in my DVD collection. Can't be many naval war films that star ships that were actually there .

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 05:43 AM UTC
A bit more progress.

The lower hull masked.

the hull sprayed Tamiya TS81, I have extended the main deck forward a bit, to fill a hole that may well be visible when the fo'c's'le deck is down.

Wood deck and TTs down, as there is not enough to cover the new section, painted dark grey.

a bulkhead and supports for the 4" guns added under the deck, likely won't be that visible, but better not to take the chance.

Eduard etched w/t doors fitted to the superstructure.

The steel deck sections attacked with the old hairy stick, and fixed down.

The gap filling under the fo'c'sle deck is barely visible at this stage, with the railings and boat racks in place it will be likely invisible.

More soon.

Cheers

Si

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 07:57 PM UTC
Si,

Off to another fine start. Proper prep work makes for a fun assembly.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Off to another fine start. Proper prep work makes for a fun assembly.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

She is coming on, and you are right mate, getting the planning & the prep right makes for a much more enjoyable build.

Cheers

Ski
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
The latest progress.

The wood fo'c's'le deck in place.

Eduard etched doors on B gundeck.

B Gundeck sprayed Tamiya TS81, and fitted, along with the etched unplanked sections where two of the boats sit.

etched anchor ways and piece for the eyes of the ship, these come from infini fret that comes with the deck.

Painted and in place.

The wood deck has also been fitted on B gundeck.

More soon,

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:56 PM UTC
Si,

Fine progress with the wood deck and PE. That was a nice feature to have those anchor ways included. Beats having to remove molded on anchor chain and the follow up cleaning.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 03:19 AM UTC
Looking good Si! As always, the addition of the wood deck instantly starts to bring the ship alive! I agree with Mark, those etched anchor ways and piece for the eyes of the ship are a great idea.
 _GOTOTOP