_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Trumpeter LCM3?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:02 PM UTC
Great Models Webstore is showing a PreOrder staus for a Trumpeter 1/35 LCM3. Does anyone know about this. I know Italeri was coming out with one, but not Trumpeter. Here is a link to the Great Models page, Trumpeter LCM3
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:22 PM UTC
Hmmm.... this could be good. But no pics!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC
I guess it is true and Trumpeter has scooped another model company, Italeri this time. It is coming out in May. Check here, LCM (3).
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
Holy cow!

That IS a scoop!!!!!!! Wow, where in the heck did this come from...? Here I was figuring I had until the Fall to impatiently save up to buy the Italeri LCM...and now, BADDA BING! Out of the blue, Trumpeter rolls (er, floats) their LCM kit out!

Trumpeter's aircraft kits are good and that their armor kits have improved quite a bit... Haven't heard anything about their warships...

Though I'm sure it would not be good business, I wish Trumpeter would have gone with a different type of landing craft --- that way we'd have two different craft to purchase rather than having to decide which manufacturer and kit to go with, ya know...? Sometimes it seems like a real bummer to see different manufacturers coming out with the same kit... And yet, a company like Italeri will come out with their 35th scale LVT series and their DUKWs and have no competition at all...

No complaints, though... And I think that this is a very important release due to it's scale and subject matter --- it is a boat model that will appeal to armor modellers...and who knows, maybe it'll help get some naval modellers to do some 35th scale figures and vehicles... Anyway, I hope that it will be a big seller!! Looking forward to hearing reviews on the Trumpeter kit!

Thanks for the great news, guys!!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:35 AM UTC
Wow, I've heard they were coming with out with this but figured it would be over $100. This pre-order really isn't too bad. Not that I can afford it but it's nice to dream.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 08:42 PM UTC
If Trumpeter is going to sell theirs for 52 dollars then Italeri is going to haft to cut their prices real fast or have a lot of dust setting on their LCM3's. People will pay more for a better product, but not twice as much for the same thing. Competition helps us save, and it helps keeps them honest.
At first I thought Italeri wanted over a hundred dollars for theirs, but I went back and reread that thread, and come to find out they were talking about Verlindin being over a hundred dollars, so I went on the search to find out just how muh they are asking for this Italeri LCM3, and I never did find anybody that had the price marked down yet, so does anybody know how much they are asking for the Italeri one?
Kerry
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
What is interesting is that the "Trumpeter" description on GM & etc above is identical to the "Italeri" description on VLS (Model Mecca), right down to # parts, mg PE, D-Day -- and the price isn't that far off.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:23 PM UTC
Can we say Industrial Espionage. Those damb commies. They do have some great kits though.
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:37 AM UTC
Heya, Straightedge,

I heard or read the rumor that the Italeri LCM 3 is supposed to retail between $65 and $75.00...which is still a bit more pricey than Trumpeter...

Italeri is going to have a tough time trumping Trumpeter if: a) Trumpeter is out many months before the Italeri kit, and b) if the Trumpeter kit is cheaper than the Ital kit...

People may not want to wait for the Italeri kit --- we modelers can be impatient to buy up a kit and then stick it right in the closet The only way I see it working out in favor of Italeri is if the Trumpeter kid is of poor quality or seriously inaccurate...

I wonder if either of the companies are considering LCM conversions --- either WWII rocket boats or any of the Vietnam Brown Water Navy craft. And I wonder if any of the aftermarket companies would bother to release a conversion kit to turn the LCM 3 into and LCM 6
I have the Nimix Monitor on my short list of kits to build...can't wait ta get to it, but gotta do the RG 1/72 U Boat first...

Personally, I hope it works out for both companies! Keep them cool kits coming!!!

Aloha,

Johnny B
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wonder if either of the companies are considering LCM conversions --- either WWII rocket boats or any of the Vietnam Brown Water Navy craft. And I wonder if any of the aftermarket companies would bother to release a conversion kit to turn the LCM 3 into and LCM 6

Well, you're Prayers may be awnserd Shortly!!!! I'm currently Conducting Research into that exact subject. Along with Other Brown Water Navy Craft. I've downloaded about everything I can find on the Web. I'm currently trying to Locate a couple of Books put out by the USN on the Subject (They're Hard to Find as they're put out by the US Gov't)

As to exact details, We don't have everythign worked out Quite yet. It will take some time to get all the Materials needed to do this. Not to mention Perfecting the Conversion........

This is a Project that's "on the side" as time allows..........(As I already have a full time Job)

Just a tidbit of Info...... #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
Go, Matt, go!

Great! That conversion would certainly add a lot of possibilities to the LCM kit and various dioramas and conversions!

Good luck and please keep us posted!!!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B
 _GOTOTOP