_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Revell U.S.S. United States
vandelay
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC
Has anyone ever built the Revell 1:150 U.S.S. United States, model number 05406? I was looking to build a model of this ship and I was wondering if this kit was worth the money and if there were any things/problems I should look out for if I decide to build it. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:58 PM UTC
All that rigging is a pain, but those ships sure look grand if you see them through to completion. Built a Constitution once and the United States is a sister, so have fun with it, don't remember it being all that bad, had to clean a lot of parts to get rid of flash and mold marks, but that's par for the course.
ground_hog
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:53 AM UTC
If you happen across the black box, get it. The blue/green box of current has some issues where the deck plate does not line up well with the gun ports.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi there ground-hog !!! I see that is your first post. Welcome to Armorama and to the little ship club we have here. Thnks for posting information, but if you look, that was posted way back when in June of 2004, I am sure the kit has long since been either built or forgotten about. But thanks for the update and please chip right in with anything you know or would like to know.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:32 AM UTC
I've never built the United States but long ago I did try my hand at a fully rigged Constitution. One suggestion I have for you, if at all possible, is put that puppy under glass. The rigging will collect so much dust and cobwebs you'd think she just came out of a Frankenstein movie. If you have a wife or significent other that likes to dust the temptation may be more than they can stand, with disasterous results.

ground_hog
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:14 PM UTC
Actually, it was more of a commentary for future posters. I have built the black and the blue/green box models.

The black box is the best, by far, release of the kit.

I have been working on the USS Constitution now for 3 years, to date I have only got as far as the hull, rudder, and the masts joined - paint is the main problem for me, for some reason both enamel and acrylics dry like a fine powder.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Paint you are buying could be wrong or just real old, I have a lot of trouble with certain colors #1 being white as it likes to clump. Yellow is also very bad. I generally like Model Master Enamels I've just always had bad luck with acrylics

I built one of the samller Constitutions back in the 70's I enjoyed it and bought the big one. Problem was, I kept moving so I only worked on it occasionally. left it on top of the refrigerator when I moved once, so that was that. I had managed to get the hull and the masts on totally painted and had just started attaching some of the rat lines. I haven't touched another one since, nor do I ever intend to. Heck, I don't like rigging my 350 scale battleships let alone doing a sailing ship
JPK
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
In your text you refer to the Revell/Monogram United States being 150th scale. I've seen the kit but have not had the chance to look inside the box. Looking at the artwork on the cover the ship doesn't have the stern modifications made to her by the captain who's name escapes me now. I guess my question is did Revell/Monogram supply the additional parts for that modification? The United States differed considerably from the Constitution because of that. I gather from the boxtop they did not. I have the older Revell 1/96th scale United States and while it is the basic Constitution kit they did supply the addtional parts for the sister ship. The look of the stern galleries may be conjecture but they are there nontheless.
 _GOTOTOP