_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri LCM 3 help...
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 10:24 AM UTC
Heya, Folks,

I'm building the Italeri LCM-3 kit which is quite enjoyable (and simple, too!)...

Because I cannot leave well alone, I have replicated the ribbing on the sides of the craft with Evergreen stock styrene. My inspiration came from Angus' amazing treatment of the Verlinden LCM as seen in Tamiya Modelling Magazine.

Even sanding the ribs down leaves them standing out from the hull a bit --- I just want to SUGGEST the ribs not have the hull look like a big waffle.

I have sprayed auto spot primer, hoping that it would fill in the depressions somewhat... It did it a little bit, but not to the extent that I would have liked.

Unlike Angus, I REALLY don't want to fill in each of those rectangles with putty (and have to sand them afterwards) , which would be a real pain...

Any suggestions as to a mixable liquid or spray solution which might allow me to take the lazy man's way out...? Maybe a resin that I could find at a craft store...?

And while I am asking... Does anyone have any info or references on camoflage patterns for the LCM-3s during Iwo Jima or Okinawa...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B

PS This is a very quick to build (except for that waffle thing, but that's my own doing) kit...quite a pleasure and a nice change of pace (no individual link tracks)!!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi Havoc!!
Although I haven't tried it, I would suggest milliput fine (the white one).
Put little rolls of milliput near the Evergreen ribs and then with your finger wet start pulling the milliput to the center of the waffle area....

Repeat with the wet finger as many times as needed until the effect you want is accomplished.
Let it dry a little and then with a 600 wet sandpaper "erase" the fingertips marks.
I think it will work.
Hope this help,

Skipper
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hiya, Skipper!

Thanks a bunch... I did go the putty route, using Tamiya putty and liquid cement to smooth it out (along with my finger, of course)...

It worked great --- until I ran out of the Tamiya putty! Arg!
Gotta get some more putty so I can finish the other side of the LCM...

Thanks again, Skipper!!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 07:31 PM UTC
Squdron or testors white putty are petty fine grain if you have dificulty finding the Tamiya stuff. Might even be cheaper
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi Havoc!!

Please show us the result

Glad I could help,

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP