_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Unbelievable
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 02:40 PM UTC
Ever see a 6' plus resin submarine? Well I hauled one home in the bed of my Toyota today. I had to lay in there from corner to corner as it wouldn't fit with the tail gate up and there was no way I was driving down the road with it in the back and the tailgate down. The gentleman I got it from bought it a couple of years back, and started it. Arthritis set in and he couldn't continue. He was selling it for $400. I hated to see it go to somebody else so I offered to build it for him. I was going to buy it, but had to get work done on the Harley instead so there went the $400 I had set aside for it. He scratch built a 9 footer several years back that was R/C. Awesome is all I can say to describe it. Anyway, I thought you guys would appreciate just the shear size of this monster. Look for pictures in the not to distant future as I get this thing underway. "Q" Okay, heres a pic of her as she is now.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC
Wondering in the ballpark, how much does that puppy weigh?

Steve
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 05:41 PM UTC
2 words, Your nuts! The paint to paint this thing is going to cost as much as the sub itself... lol. wow that thing is as tall as me...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 06:42 PM UTC
I got a little confused by your post. Did you buy it or are you just going to finish building it for the fellow? Is this a kit, or scratch built? I can see it's a Type VIIC U-boot. Maybe you are lucky and it's 35th scale. Andreas makes all sorts of goodies for a 35th scale U-boot. Coning tower, gun, figures. In fact they have the entire kit for $2000 (!). I know this sounds like blasphemy, but you could put it to the table saw and make a waterline model of it. Andreas or somebody makes a dockside quay for it. I guess you can tell, I am quite envious of you.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got a little confused by your post. Did you buy it or are you just going to finish building it for the fellow? Is this a kit, or scratch built? I can see it's a Type VIIC U-boot. ...... Coning tower, gun, figures. In fact they have the entire kit for $2000 (!). .......

I have the entire kit. It is the Andrea kit. I just didn' take any pics of the rest of the stuff. I was initially going to buy it, but the cash had to go to something else instead, so I offered to build it for the gentleman so that the $$$$$ he spent on it would not go to waste. He has all of the Figures that go with it, and wants to try and tackle those himself.

Steve, as to the weight, around 8-9 lbs. And that is just the hull. There is lots of white metal and solid resin parts to go with it, not to mention the PE, the very thick PE at that.

Harrison, that's what my wife told me when I carted it into the garage yesterday. I'm 6'3" and she says it has me by about 5" when stood on end. I'll put a measuring tape to it for grins and giggles just to see for myself.
Thanks for the interest guys. "Q"
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
I have never replied to any posts in the ships section but that thing is huge, Matthew thats a nice thing you are doing for this guy and i hope you take lots of pictures of your progress i think i will be following this build.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC
Matthew if it is the Andrea sub I believe it's 1/32, 54mm scale. I have the Accurate Armor waterline 1/35, VIIC and quayside also Azimuts S-100 Schnellboot in 1/35th and the subs much less than 6'. Your lucky to get it for that price and building large watercraft is great. You can't really appreciate the size till it's built up and then -man this sucker is huge!! - Cheyenne
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
Great looking sub. Hope it comes out well. Keep us posted

Quoted Text

i'm 6 foot 2, i got a good idea of how big that monser is. Why do you need such a huge model?

Because he wants it. Need has nothing to do with it. None of us needs any of these models, but we want them all and then some.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi Gino

I hardly dare ask... how big is your workshop, to allow you to tackle this beast? Be careful how you answer - people living in small flats in London have hearts which are easily broken!

All the best and really looking forward to more pics

Rowan
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gino

I hardly dare ask... how big is your workshop, to allow you to tackle this beast? Be careful how you answer - people living in small flats in London have hearts which are easily broken!

All the best and really looking forward to more pics

Rowan

Not me building the sub, but it looks fun. i would love to do something that big. Biggest I have done is the 1/72 B-52D and 1/48 AC-130, both hanging off my ceiling in the workshop.

Sorry, but my workshop is half of a two-car garage (about 350 sq feet), plenty of space for buidling and displaying all the models I want. Check here to see pics of my bench and display shelves.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
More pics coming in tomorrow. I snipped a lot of the PE off the frets and laid them in where they go, (Decking) and placed the conning tower on it. Wow! Only drawback to the kit is you can look down through the decking to the empty hull below. Instructions call for painting it black. I'm going one better and simulating an inner pressure hull instead. Look for pics of the mock up tomorrow. I have lots of clean up work ahead of me as the guy started it and it didn't go so well at the bow end of the boat. Lots of 5 minute epoxy ran out and onto the hull details for about a foot. It will get all sanded off and replaced though. Stay tuned!! "Q"
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matthew thats a nice thing you are doing for this guy and i hope you take lots of pictures of your progress i think i will be following this build.

Matt. as an added comment, I'd hope that you would consider writing a full length article on this build. You have the chance to build something a good portion of us would not. I'm sure there are others besides me, who would want to know what it's like to build one that massive. I hope you'll consider it.

Envious as well
Steve
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC
Steve, I can and will probably do that. You would be surprized at how few pieces there are overall for this thing. I was expecting tons more. There is a fair amount, but not what I was expecting. The additional pics are coming tonight. On my way as soon as I hit the enter key. Back soon. "Q"
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 10:33 AM UTC
Great!

I'll look forward to the installments.

Vicariously building

Steve
Red4
Visit this Community