_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Soviet Armoured Gunboat...in 1/35th!! :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 03:42 PM UTC
Howdy All,

I don't know if this has already been mentioned { by skipper, or perhaps jimbrae }, but MIG Productions has come out with a new dandy of a kit. It's the Soviet armoured gunboat Bronekater.
I stumbled across this over on the PMMS site {hence the label} and thought it was worth pointing out to the members here.
Below is a pic of the wee Soviet beastie........

It's supposed to be available in early June {now?}, but I'm not sure what price tag it will carry.......

Any of you 'salty' guys planning on building it?

Tread.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 04:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's supposed to be available in early June {now?}, but I'm not sure what price tag it will carry.......

A dear one no doubt.

I'm really digging gunboats these days.(hell I'm digging naval stuff period) That would be a cool one to have.

Thanks for sharing that Gordon!

So how's the Tango dude?

Progress? photos? *brow beat brow beat*

Steve
who shouldn't be saying anything because the rest of his subs remain unfinished.

Although the Kilo is painted.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hi Tread,
I read over at Missing Lynx yesterday that that wee ship would have a wee price tage of $600 USD........yes you read right $600 USD. :-)
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tread,
I read over at Missing Lynx yesterday that that wee ship would have a wee price tage of $600 USD........yes you read right $600 USD. :-)

I retract my last...... "dear" and replace it with "obscene'

What's a kidney worth these days?...sheesh
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I retract my last...... "dear" and replace it with "obscene'

Well, I think that 'Obscene' is a touch on the strong side. Firstly, it's being compared with what? None of the 'plastic' manufacturers have (up to now at least) had the imagination to produce anything comparable.

Secondy, taking into account the cost of resin, time spent on research, time spent on production of masters etc.et. is $600 really that expensive? Look at the 'big' items produced by Accurate Armour - the Oshkosh Tank Transporters or their LST in 1/35th scale - not exactly cheap either.

We live in free-market economies (thank God!) and if people are free to spend their money how they see fit. The companies are equally free to charge what they believe their product is worth and what the market will support....Jim
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
I guess I base my comment on the fact that I am not in the position to pay hundreds of dollars on a single kit. I know resin and research is costly. I've no doubt that the quality is superb. I agree it's great to live in a free market society and people are able to spend their hard earned money on what they wish and when they wish. However, as I said, given my limited funds...for me it's an obscene amount.

I apologize if I struck a nerve. That was by no means my intent.

Best wishes
Steve
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
Howdy fellas, jimbrae,

Your point is well taken regarding the cost of the kit, and the final price tag's 'justification'. I certainly won't argue with either side of the issue, since, as evidenced by my past history of sometimes truly 'mad', and wanton spending on this hobby a price tag of $600 sheckles is certainly 'doable' in my book. But with so many other projects in the wings, it's potential 'doable' schedule is more nonexistent...

Anyone have any info regarding the true size of the real vessel? I'm just curious how big this kit is in 1/35th scale. My guess would be something close to 2-2 1/2 feet long......that's a lot of resin...

Tread.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
O.K. Jim, when you buy it and build it can you post alot of pictures so I can scratchbuild it in N Scale? I'd do it myself, but, I have a car payment due.
Have fun with it though.

Congrats!

Cuhail
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hey, i'm not the resident millionare either. If I was to spend that on a kit, both kit and I would be sleeping under a bridge within a question of minutes...

On the other hand, I can remember the recent Tamiya nonsense, with their Tiger kit coming in at over $125 - now that is obscene...Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
$600 is relative to the willingness and ability to purchase. While I have the ability to pay $600, personally I have little interest in that kit so I would unwilling to pay that kind of money. Someone else with a passion for that kind of kit may find it a bargain.

I really wonder how many kits they could move. $600 is a very small market of people with the ability to make such a purchase. Interesting case of business economics
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:04 AM UTC
When I first saw this kit I thought about how nice it would be to build something so different. There is no way I can justify spending that amount on one kit.

When the first resin locomotives came out I wanted one as well. I balked at the $350 UDS price tag then. So I waited. Now a injection molded one is coming from Trumpeter. Will we see this kit in injection molded plastic???? I would have said I doubt it in the past but who knows? Dragon may try it out in 1/72nd and then 1/35th.

One can always dream cant we?
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) :-) Lets see..... $600 bucks for the kit, verses $600 bucks for new glasses (which I really do need) so I can build 6 $100 buck kits.... 0r 60 $10 buck kits............ :-) :-) :-)

I truely believe these high ticket kits have a high ticket price, because the manufacturers already know they are only going to sell a limited number of them, so their cost recovery and profit is already figured into the suggested retail price from the very beginning. I personally think it's an excellent looking kit, will wait for a review of it, from someone other than the manufacturer, or their website, and then make an educated purchase or not.
Hell, I've spent more than $600 bucks at a one day show, and still haven't built a lot of the kits, gave some away, and yep.......even threw some out. :-) :-) :-)
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.......even threw some out. :-) :-) :-)

Dave,

If you ever have this urge again...give me a call.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:48 AM UTC
...or at least let us know when Garbage Day is, Dave!

True, it IS a lot for a kit --- I paid a pretty penny for the Nimix 35th scale resin Vietnam-era Monitor (over $300.00) but it was something I wanted really badly --- so bad that I saved up for it and did a little freelance work on the side to get it. Took about four months, but I was able to purchase it.

If people want a kit badly enough, they will save up or find a way... That being said, $600.00 IS a BIG financial hit, so I would agree with Shermie that sales of a kit this costly will be limited. This is obvious given the high sticker price.

And yeah, it is always a gamble that a company will release a much cheaper version of the expensive resin kit --- but that is the nature of our hobby...unless it is a piece of WWII German armor, there is no certainty that a kit will be mass produced. Who knows, given Italeri and Trumpeter's welcomed boldness in thinking outside the kit box by releasing 35th scale landing craft (including Ital's August LCVP release, woo-hoo!) , perhaps kits such as this gunboat could follow. I kinda wish Tamiya had continued along this route after they kitted the PBR...oh, well.

And even though this is a fantastic-looking kit (love the T-34 turret!), I would rather save up the big bucks for some of those Masterpiece Models 35th scale Vietnam-era Riverine craft (via the Squadron shop), if they ever come out! Anybody hear anything about these lately...?

To each his own (wallet)!!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:57 AM UTC
I have said this before in the forums and will post it again. This is actually a very cheap hobby, compared to most. My stash keeps growing (Thanks Hobby Lobby!!) and the wife thinks it is getting out of hand. But, if I spent $40 on a kit and it takes me 60 hours to finish it, that is cheap entertainment.
So, anyone that spends $600 on that kit will surely be working on it for what, three or four months minimum? I don't know what exactly that equates to in hours of modeling time but going to the movies now, just for the ticket, is about 10 bucks per hour.

I wouldn't spend the $600 on this kit either for reasons that others have already but I surely can't fault anyone that does.

Shaun
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi all!

Well... every time I see this model price, it's raising!
As Jim (jimbrae) so well mentioned, the cottage industries when release a new model they place the price they need to cover all their expenses on researching and making the master! Sure you don't want to pay a lot of cash for a model that it's not worth it!
I also know that they don't place a price tag that make the project profitable after selling twenty or so models...

I must say that it's a very interesting subject, and it really looks great!

And still mentioning very high price tags, there's always Andreas Miniatures 1/32 full hull Type VII-C U-boat (around €2000) - perhaps I should quit smoking and place the daily pack money in a jar!!!!

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP