_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
lcm 3
ptcca1
Visit this Community
Alpes-Maritimes, France
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hello, I seek photographs of Landing Craft MK3 on the WWII and Korea on the unloadings of various personnel and material for my diorama. Thank you
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:05 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama! Best thing in the world for images like that is to go to Google, then images, and put in LCM landing craft. Over 11 pages of photos. Most are of the Trumpeter or Italeri models, but there are plenty of good photos of the actual craft.

ptcca1
Visit this Community
Alpes-Maritimes, France
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:37 PM UTC
the scene of unloading of a GMC 6X6 with supply (was gasoline, oil, case of armament, etc) of the LCM would be it possible or unreal on any thêatres of operations
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:10 PM UTC
Allô ptcca1!

I guess the LCM wouldn't carry those kind of equipment (that would be left for bigger transport ships when the beech head was already secured)
But a good search, like Rodger advice, perhaps could show some unusual situation

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
anything is possible with the type of question you are asking. Generally though fuel would be shipped on a different ship than trucks. It was usually shipped in 55 gallon drums. Other supplies came in crates. So you would probably have an Lcm delivering a load of drums, or crates and possibly another delivering a truck.
ptcca1
Visit this Community
Alpes-Maritimes, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:55 AM UTC
Here is what I found

The load had to be gasoline or truck.Thank you for your answer
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:48 PM UTC
What is that sunken object next to the LCM? Is that a DUKW?
ptcca1
Visit this Community
Alpes-Maritimes, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC
all details here http://www.mforum.net/bbs/view.php?id=Diorama&no=19 and here http://www.mforum.net/bbs/view.php?id=Diorama&no=18
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is that sunken object next to the LCM? Is that a DUKW?

Yep, it is. Great dio btw.

Merci pour les photos, ptcca.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:19 PM UTC
Excellent found ptcca1!

Although it is not what you want, it is a terribly good dio!
Thanks for the link

Skipper
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 08:46 AM UTC
Wow - that water is amazing! That is exactly the effect I want to achieve with my project, although the beach in my sector doesn't have that wonderful slope. Unfortunately, I couldn't read a word in that article. Is there a way to get that in English?

John A.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
That is an AMAZING dio! I've seen it before, but not the build pics. WOW!!!!

Couldn't read/understand the links, but the pics said it all. Totally 'ng amazing! The water, the DUKW, the landing craft, the shermie, the FIGS, damn!!!!!

WOW!!!! I wish, I wish........

Mike (++) (++)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:11 AM UTC
Excellent dio. There has been much debate about whether Shermans were landed with LCMs. I believe the conclusion was that it did not happen at Normandy by US troops. It may have been done in the PTO.

Can any of our Japanese members read why the builder turned the DUKW from inbound to outbound position?
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:36 AM UTC
I rather like the orientation of the DUKW, and I can think of any number of reasons for it. It may have gotten hung up on an obstacle before being abandoned, or it may have been thrown for a loop by the near miss that broke its axle. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the unshakable habit of manufacturers to sculpt drivers and commanders who are invariably just lolling around as though they had nothing better to do. That guy with the map might as well be holding a cup of coffee. Come on! This may be just another day at the beach, but it is Omaha Beach, and you're still under fire! Put a helmet on!

John A.

BTW, from my reading, no Shermans on board LCMs during the Normandy assault wave at least. Those that were carried ashore went via LCT(A), on Omaha anyway.
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello, I seek photographs of Landing Craft MK3 on the WWII and Korea on the unloadings of various personnel and material for my diorama. Thank you

So, back to the question! Hollowpoint sent me this link the other day, and it would be perfect for you, ptcca1! I found a number of pictures of African-American sailors operating LCMs absolutely jammed with cargo. High-resolution photos, all.

Although I don't imagine this will be a problem for ptcca1, my luck on the site was limited by the fact that it's entirely in French! But I did a picture search for "navy," "debarquement" ("landing"), and a couple of others, and I found 16 images I could use for reference. Granted, a lot of them are ones you may have seen other places, but again: high-resolution!

Here's the link: http://www.archivesnormandie39-45.org/rech.php

John A.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:10 PM UTC
What an excellent dio! I imagine he was quite nervous about pouring resin over that DUKW after putting so much work into it...
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So, back to the question! Hollowpoint sent me this link the other day, and it would be perfect for you, ptcca1! I found a number of pictures of African-American sailors operating LCMs absolutely jammed with cargo. High-resolution photos, all.

Although I don't imagine this will be a problem for ptcca1, my luck on the site was limited by the fact that it's entirely in French! But I did a picture search for "navy," "debarquement" ("landing"), and a couple of others, and I found 16 images I could use for reference. Granted, a lot of them are ones you may have seen other places, but again: high-resolution!

Here's the link: http://www.archivesnormandie39-45.org/rech.php

John A.

John: Glad you found that site useful.
 _GOTOTOP