_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
A number of Naval questions?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
Greeting all,

Could anyone help me with the following on RN ships:

1. Would small craft like LCMs, LCVPs, LCAs have flown the White Ensign? If so do you know where I might get suitable flags for 1/35. I've looked everywhere but cannot see any, although they must exist.

2. What size rigging thread would be the most suitable to simulate rope?

3. I'm modelling some crew and wanted to make a signal man. What colour would the signal flags have been? Red/Yellow - Red/Yellow/Blue?

4. Finally I'm looking for some kind of very small hooks to hold the ropes down the side of my LCA. I've tried the smallest O hooks I could find but even cut down they look much too thick. I've tried wire but they all come out different sizes - any ideas?

Thanks very much.

Al

Skipper if you log into this one - deck just had to come off the LCA, super structure in - looks much better.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greeting all,

Could anyone help me with the following on RN ships:

1. Would small craft like LCMs, LCVPs, LCAs have flown the White Ensign? If so do you know where I might get suitable flags for 1/35. I've looked everywhere but cannot see any, although they must exist.

These small craft operating in normal conditions would not use the White Ensign.

Quoted Text

2. What size rigging thread would be the most suitable to simulate rope?

I usually use some scale rope from Amati, they have them in different "gauges" - and I buy them at one of my LHS. Try and find some near you and see and feel the ones that are suitable for you

Quoted Text

3. I'm modelling some crew and wanted to make a signal man. What colour would the signal flags have been? Red/Yellow - Red/Yellow/Blue?

I think that the flag used was the Oscar Flag (Red/Yellow)

Quoted Text

4. Finally I'm looking for some kind of very small hooks to hold the ropes down the side of my LCA. I've tried the smallest O hooks I could find but even cut down they look much too thick. I've tried wire but they all come out different sizes - any ideas?

My sugestion would be scratchbuilt them, but use a "mold" so that all will be with the same size. Try nailing two small nails (almost pin size) on a wood board and use the wire to form around them, giving the curve the way you like/need. Then just cut the excess wire

Quoted Text

Thanks very much.

Al

You're welcome, Alan

Quoted Text

Skipper if you log into this one - deck just had to come off the LCA, super structure in - looks much better.

Good news then
I am glad you are "finnaly" getting the taste of it

Cheers,
Skipper
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:29 PM UTC
a little visual help

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:52 PM UTC
Skipper,

Thanks once again for the information and also the picture which is most useful.

It crossed my mind on the way to work this morning to use fuse wire which is much more plyable, why I didn't think of it before escapes me.

As you may have gathered I'm making all 3 LCs and enjoying it. I know the broad outline of the history of the RN but little about the actual kit/uniforms etc.

If I can borrow a decent camera I'll post you some pictures of progress so far and you can let me have you opinion!!! (That was very brave of me!!!).

I've opted to go for the 1/35 AA Oerlikon cannon for the LCM 3 which I managed to get at a slightly reduced price from AA.

If you hear any more from 'U Boats' please let me know, I've e-mailed them but no response so far.

Thanks again

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Skipper,

Thanks once again for the information and also the picture which is most useful.

Hmm I think that's the reason of this forum, right?

Quoted Text

It crossed my mind on the way to work this morning to use fuse wire which is much more plyable, why I didn't think of it before escapes me.

This is the kind of wire that I use and I forgot to mention! Sorry for this

Quoted Text

As you may have gathered I'm making all 3 LCs and enjoying it. I know the broad outline of the history of the RN but little about the actual kit/uniforms etc.

Yes, FUN is a great motivator and (for me) the main purpose of my hobby
As for RN Uniforms, the ones that U-Models have looked fairly accurate, only missing some great coats and oilskins for a rainny day
I'll see if I can find something to send you...

Quoted Text

If I can borrow a decent camera I'll post you some pictures of progress so far and you can let me have you opinion!!! (That was very brave of me!!!).

It's not a question of bravery Alan... It's a question of you getting a good feedback, constructive, that could enhance your modeling skills. We (I and a very high percentage of Warships Members) are always polite and helpfull - we don't sink anyone model because it has the wrong shade of grey or ....
As you may have read on other warships posts, the main objective here is to help eachother to improve, not the other way around!
If you are a "Master Modeler" already , I have to ask you in advance a Feature on Royal Navy Landing Crafts 1943-1945 (Good title, don't you think?) **** READ THE EDIT

Quoted Text

I've opted to go for the 1/35 AA Oerlikon cannon for the LCM 3 which I managed to get at a slightly reduced price from AA.

Good choice, I also have that Oerlikon for a Portuguese LCM used in Guinea-Bissau/Angola/Mozambique in our "Colonial War" 1960's-74. Just have to choose the location

Quoted Text

If you hear any more from 'U Boats' please let me know, I've e-mailed them but no response so far.

Thanks again

Al

I think you mean U-Models
I'll email Rodolphe and see what happens

Cheers,
Skipper

EDIT: I changed the :-) to a because it looked like I was mocking of you! And I am NOT.
I just placed the laughing smile because I really don't know your work yet - but after I read it, it looks so wrong!

Sorry if I worried/upseted you
Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Thanks for the response. For me modelling is fun, thats whats it's all about. I've always had an interest in all things military since I was a child and like many wondered 'how did he/they do that'.

I came across Armorama during a long boring summer and it was as a direct result of reading the posts and seeing the great kits that got me started again, especially as the site answered so many of the questions I hadn't worked out for myself.

I doubt if I could class myself as an advanced modeller more a novice but I do try and produce a reasonably accurate model without getting to lost in the 'it must be absolutely right' syndrome.

In the past I have built kits that were available in my local hobby shop with no particular subject or focus in mind. Being ex army I really wanted to build British Kits but there were so few around that I just built what I thought might be fun and happend to be available.

Since I joined the site all sorts of possibilities have opened up and I've discovered a whole range of suppliers that I never even knew existed. Add to that the reviews and comments, hints and tips and it made the possibility of building something fairly good a real possibility.

It's also helped me to stay more focused and to try and imporve the overall finished product (time will tell, ha ha).

So thanks to you and to all the others who have given their time and expetise, it is much appreciated.

Enough!!!

Yes, I did mean U Models, a clear sign of the aging process!!!

Al
 _GOTOTOP