_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Interesting Rumor.....PT Boats in 35th?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
There is some scuttlebutt going around that DML are going to be producing an E-Boat and a Vosper PB in 1/35th scale.

All I can say is that, personally, I find it difficult to believe (they aren't in the new catalogue) I will be checking with my sources over the next couple of days....Jim
bottlerocket
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
Jim, I don't know of any in 1/35th but BlueJacket Ship Crafters from Maine offer an 80' Elco PT boat in 1/48th.
http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/ptboat.htm
...N
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
Wow, Jim!

Now THAT would be a gutsy move on Dragon's part! If so, I would save up to buy one --- I wonder what the kit would retail for... My guess would be $175.00 to $200.00

I assume that they would definitely do a US Elco PT Boat as well. As such, think of how awesome it would look done up in that black and white zebra-pattern disruptive scheme, not to mention all of the great 35h scale aftermarket armament and accesories you could add to customize the boats!!

I really hope that this one is true --- and if so, given how long it takes Dragon to release some of their kits (see: Marine M4A2), I would have ample time to save for it!!

Thanks for the heads up, Jim!! Please keep us posted.

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC
That would be a pretty big boat. If my math is right a Elco 80 footer would be 27 inches long in 1/35. An Schnelboote even bigger.

This sounds like such a departure from what DML has done up to now it really does sound too good to be true.

Of course since these aren't in the catalog, maybe that means there is still hope for the US halftracks. :-) (I had to throw that in)

Keep us informed on how this goes.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 05:48 AM UTC
I think the rumor might be slightly off. Over on the Steelnavy.com board Ray Bean (who does a lot of consulting work for Trumpeter and is generally aware of their future plans before anyone else) posted this cryptic comment/question after summarizing some of Trumpeter's '06 plans "Lastly.....how do you all feel about 35th scale PT Boats??????? " and later, in response to the question "Would they also consider 1/35th scale RN MTB's?" answered "the things I do for you guys..YES to E Boat, MTB Vospers and us PT".

I think that's where it stands right now.

Matt
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:32 PM UTC
Matt - thanks for the clarification. It was originally posted over on Missing.-Lynx (not the most Maritime of sites ) and it (personally) seemed too good to be true....however, with a full spirit of 'wish-fulfillment, I passed it on for comment....Jim

By the way, welcome to the site!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hi Matt

First things first: Welcome to Warships at Armorama

Now for the 1/35 Fast Boats issue:
ADV/Azimut have produced a limited edition of an S-100 Schnellboot that sold like hot bread and have now reached the astronomical value (in some websites) of US$1200.00 (Yes! Twelve Hundred US Dollars!!)

As you may know (the older ones, like me!) Lindberg produced a "thing" back in the 60's, a Elco PT-Boat in 1/32 scale that today reaches the US$100.00 easily, and then you have to face the upgrade and scratchbuilt to make it accurate

To my knowledge no plastic model of a MTB in this scale was ecver made, but we can say that it would be the smallest of the batch, unless we are talking of a Farmile D (or A, B, C...) which is also a good subject negleted in most scales [WEM, I know you have them in 1/350 ]

So with the two above mentioned episodes of the willingness of modelers to have a big fast boat in a big scale is welcome! Otherwise, I doubt that a Lindberg 1/32 Pt Boat would reach the hundred dollar barrier!

Another sign that these could be hot sellers, is the success of late Naval models in this particular scale (LCM(3) and LCVP) and I am only mentioning injection models...

If a Reich Locomotiv, two huge rail guns sell why not these?

Just my two cents (on someone looking for an ADV/Azimut S-100 for too long)

Skipper

dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC
Those are great news, my only wish is that those kits become available chep....until now, 35 scale has only seen a few accesible products in the naval field, as the Tamiya Pibber and Dragon Assault Boat, and the Landing Crafts from Italeri and Trumpeter (not counting the almost impossible to get Accurate Armour items), amognst others I canīt recall. Iīll gladly buy those if they are release cheap enough for my pocket...

Cheers
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC
That Lindberg kit has apparently been reissued and is available at most Hobby Lobby stores here in the States. When on 1/2 sale it's down around $$45 of less. I understand it takes a LOT of work to make a decent model, but it can be done.

05Sultan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC
Fast boats in 1/35 would be mighty impressive.Really huge to display according to Halfyanks calculations.This would require a rather large Koi pond in my backyard with a McHale's Navy base/dock to do the Elco justice! SWMBO might go for it if I can make the dumb thing Raccoon proof. :-) :-)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:28 PM UTC
Well, now the rumor has been partly confirmed - an Elco in 1/35th....Jim

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/1476
irish
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
If you are looking for 1/35th scale gunboats, look at MIG Productions "Bronekater". It is a beautiful WW2 era Russian gunboat complete with T34 turret. It is awesome! It is expensive however, approx $425-500. He also makes a sunken version of the Bronekater which is a little cheaper. I have read rumors (I think on this site) that MIG will be producing a smaller 1/35th Russian Gunboat.

irish
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC
Well, that would be fun. They are not real complicated and as pointed out there are a ton of aftermarket items already out that could be utilized
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
nice..a 1/35 scale PT boat is a challenge. 2 to 3 feet in lenght would be nice kit for display. got to make a bigger space for this one. the waiting is the hard part. thanks for the news.
Havoc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:20 AM UTC
So... Now that Italeri has announced their PT boat kit in 35th scale, do you think that Trumpeter will rush out their own competing PT boat kit...?

What would be awesome --- and unlikely --- would be if either company released a German F-lighter!!!

Any idea when the Italeri PT is going to be released? Gotta start saving up!!

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
I saw a 1/32 E-boat in the UK back in the early 80s,It may have been a RC
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:19 PM UTC
Greetings all

I'd like to see a LCA from Italeri to replace the 'Dog of a kit' from FM, plus some well thoughout Naval Figures and aftermarket decals for British craft.

As we are on the rumour trail, and possibly I should post this in another section - any news about the rumoured 1/35 Plastic Injection Horsa????????

Aren't rumours fun!!!

Al
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hello All,

I've got an old Viking Models USA PT Boat kit I've been working on on and off for a while. It is 1/35th scale and is resin, and yes, it measures about 27 1/2 inches long. Pretty nice kit. I got it just before Viking went belly-up. Has rack launch torps and lots of white metal and resin parts. I'm trying to retro fit it to reflect some field weapons mods (37mm gun forward) and an old land-based radar dome just over the rear cabin.

Have also nearly finished a 1/35th Higgins PT (in styrene) that I built from blown-up drawings I found on the web.

Also, that 1/35th Bronekater Gunboat, which I'm sure is very nice (and expensive) can pretty easily be made from scratch - which I'm also doing - waterline. The drawings can be downloaded and blown-up to scale. The only parts I've had to buy were the turrets - which can be taken from the styrene tank kits - which can be picked up pretty inexpensively via Squadron. I have a left over Katyusha kit that I'm toying with mounting aboard.

I'll try to post pics of all when I can.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi Dave

Although we are not running Full Spead Ahead, due server change... Welcome aboard Warships @ Armorama

I have the Viking Models 1/72 Trieste II and their waterline Riverine models and I think of them as poorly casted (although both themes are extremelly valid). I missed their Alvin in 1/35 but never heard about their PT-Boat... Curious...

When the server is running ok, please upload some pictures for our delight
It will be ok when you can access via www.armorama.com

Until then

Skipper
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Yeah, I kind of wanted that Alvin also. The Pt Boat was something that was on their website way back when. I took the chance and bought it direct. The hull and deck was hollow molded - actually pretty good I think. The cabin and toprs, etc. also pretty good. The props are in 10 pieces each: 8 for each little blade and 2 for the concentric hubs that counter rotated. I haven't gotten to them yet. The toprs cam with many broken fins - and they had promised to replace......that was when the plug was pulled. I managed to get my hands on a couple of extra fittings from the HR Products folks (they're 1/32nd - but close enough). I will shoot and post when possible.

I did see the mention of 1/35th PT 596 by Italeri. Figures it would come along after I 'll have my space filled with the Viking Elco and my Higgins + the Bronekater I'm scratching.

Maybe I'll have to deepsix some other stuff.......

Anchors Away!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC
Hi Dave

Yes... Viking Models had a problem with quality control and a big problem with customer care!
I always have bought my models directly form them and all went smooth until the moment I opened the box

I am really looking forward to see your projects
Please keep us updated and if anything is needed, please ask!

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP