_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Salvage Boat in 1/35 Scale - Italeri???????
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Following on from John A's (jankowiak) post on LCM and LCVP what do you think about this as a possible third addition to Italeri's range of Landing Craft?

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/SurfSkill/SurfSkill-8.html

Is that cool or not for a 1/35 boat?

Anyone got a contact in Italeri to mail them this idea? I'd sure like one of these to go with the LCM and LCVP. Italeri I hope your watching!!!

If you haven't picked up on John's thread yet and if you've built or are thinking about building an LC then you must visit the site he found at 'Skill in the Surf'.

Absolutely brilliant John, thanks for sharing it with us.

Skill in the Surf -

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/SurfSkill/index.html

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
Just from a historical point of view it would be nice to have the first Higgins boat. The LCVP was his second design.

Gator
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
Thanks, Alan!

I was thinking about that salvage boat thing too - I doubt I would get around to it in less than five years or so (so that my bank account can be resuscitated after the D-Day Project!) but I would go on eBay and pick up the old Revell UDT Boat - it's an LCP(R), just as shown in the pictures. How cool would that be, lashed up side by side to an LCVP?

John A.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:02 PM UTC
Morning Kenny, Morning John,

When I came across the details of the Salvage Boat on the Skill in the Surf site I thought what a neat little boat and looking at the equipment list to go with it - filled with lots of goodies too.

Make a nice addition to the two boats already out though don't you think? Looks like the right size for 1/35 kit.

Take you point about the 'Higgins Boat' Kenny although I'd also like to see a replacement for the FM LCA first.

John I'll have a look for the Revell UDT boat. Was it 1/35 and what sort of kit was it to build? Know what you mean about projects, bank accounts and time. My D Day build is a long way in the future although some of the kits for it are pretty much finished, but I doubt it will see the light of day in under 3 -5 years.

I came across a book by a chap called Ken Ford about 48 Commando landing in support of the Canadians at Nan Red. Very interesting read and had lots of maps and pictures of the beach landing area, so mine is going to be roughly based on that, although the Commandos landed in LCIs which might just be a bit too big, so a little artistic licence will be required.

Still a 3rd addition to the Italeri series would be good, the LCs are about as big as one can handle in 1/35 and my fingures are too big to work in anything much smaller. I really enjoyed building the LCM and LCVP, a nice change from OD and interesting as well.

Thanks again for the link John it's be such an informatiive read and will be referred to may times in the future. The equipment listings could produce an after market set with a few extras which would also be useful.

As they say, alwatys living in hope.

Cheers

Al

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
Very interesting, thought, Alan...definitely would make a GREAT addition (not to mention a killer dio!) to Italeri's LCM and LCVP...maybe something for a detailed scratchbuild, eh?
~Gunny
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
Good morning, all --

Alan, I actually do have one of those Revell UDT kits. I bought it because it comes with a rubber raft (styrene, of course) of the type that most of the LCMs in the Omaha engineer group carried in them to haul additional explosives. It just turns out that my Command Boat was the exception to that, carrying a Weasel instead.

But I went ahead and built most of the kit so I could practice with the airbrush and check out the paint color before I used it on the LCM. My next plan was to use it for testing water techniques. It scares me to death to risk the LCM!

Anyway, it is a 1/35 boat, and easy to build. I really don't have any frame of reference to talk about how accurate it is. It came with I think two crewmen and a number of frogmen, none of which were scaled particularly well in my opinion. But they are easy to replace.

John
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 08:26 PM UTC
Afternoon Gunny and John,

To tell you the truth I've already e-mailed Italeria with the idea!!! They will probably think I'm just another mad modeller but who cares. It would make a great kit and there are plenty of opportunities for AM products from the equipment listings.

Gunny, if I had the skill I'd build one but that's above my talent level at the moment. Maybe one day if I have the tools and the space.

John, could you let me have the kit number for the Revell UDT boat, I tried a search but didn't come up with anything - mind you I probably typed in the wrong info!!!

Is your D Day dio on Omaha beach? Don't want to scare you but I'm pretty certain the first wave came in on LCA's!! see:

http://www.sproe.com/l/index.html

Still if it's a follow up wave of troops it probably won't matter.

I haven't experimented with the water thing myself although the woodland scenice stuff has had good reviews. Probably best to try it out on a junk board with just a bit of scrap plastic to work around. Try a few different techniques and check on drying times and the number of applications needed, colouring and so on. That will be a major challenge, at least for me.

Re figures, see the post on the Big A 'something to consider' and my answer to most crew needs!!! (ha ha).

At least you'll have extra crew now as there is a new resin set out. If you have any old Tamiya tank crew figures they convert pretty easily to sailors and hornet have some good heads as I'm sure you are aware.

Well here's hoping folks!!!

Cheers

Al

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC
Model Companies get dozens (if not hundreds) of similar suggestions every day. The only way to get noticed, is to send them a complete dossier of how it could be done - Images, Plans, etc. etc. They rarely have the time to listen to the suggestions and usually go for teh mainstream anyway.

I'm not saying your idea doesn't have merit - it does. I personally feel it's too obscure and impractical...Jim

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
Hi Jim

I guess the obscure is not an issue here... just watch the SLC Maiale and the Barchino Esplosivo (being this latest the most obscure of the "team")...

Appart from the Revell UDT boat that you could update/upgrade (since if my memory serves me well it is in 1/32) you could do even better... scratch build one?

I don't want to go off topic but ,check this amazing boat, fully scratchbuilt by Armorama member Mark:

More views here:
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2067

Just a thgought

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Appart from the Revell UDT boat that you could update/upgrade (since if my memory serves me well it is in 1/32) you could do even better... scratch build one?

Just a thought

Skipper

My thoughts exactly, my friend...definitely do-able!
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that - you really brightened my day.

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves

'LOL, LOL'

I know what you saying Jim, but stange things do happen and Italeria don't always follow the leader.

Cheers

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
It's not any attempt to be negative. Those of us on the site who are in constant contact with the model companies, know precisely what their criteria is for new models.

The truth is they don't have the time to start investigating possible new product lines - they work with an existing group of in-house designers and external 'assesors' to do this for them.

There's no harm whatsoever in making suggestions - sometimes they might even listen....
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

Now don't get all upset, I'm only having a little fun.

I know they get hundreds of e-mails with all kinds of wierd and wonderful ideas and most, if not all of them probably go straight into file 13.

But there's no harm in sending them information and ideas, Italeria have the market as far as 1/35 LCs go and this would make a brilliant addition to their range.

My only regret is I don't have the skill level to build one myself, maybe one day, maybe never.

As always, I live in hope. Personally, I never thought I'd see another LCM or LCVP in 1/35 but I was pleasently surprised when first one and then the other appeared on the market.

Have a good day mate.

Cheers

Al

jantkowiak
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm pretty certain the first wave came in on LCA's!! see:

http://www.sproe.com/l/index.html

Hi, Alan!

The information on this web page only refers to the 2nd Rangers in the first wave, which did come in on LCAs. The Special Engineering Task Force, and its counterpart on Utah, came in on LCM(3)s. The 29th came in on LCVPs.

Try Revell 5105, "U.D.T. Boat w/Figures." I also have an image here of what I guess is an older instruction sheet from Monogram kit called "Frogmen and LCP(R) Boat, The Underwater Demolition Team Set" but I can't make out the kit number if there is one. (But it is definitely 1/35. Sorry, Skipper!)

For figures, since the uniform of the day would have been Kapok vests, M1 helmets, and some wet weather gear (don't know the nomenclature, but the Italeri crew is dressed in it), I started my conversions by cutting the vests off both the Italeri and Revell crews, then adding Hornet heads and various infantry parts; the pants and sleeves will probably be built up with epoxy putty. I haven't quite got that step down either.

Good luck with the UDT Boat!

John A.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hi John,

I'll see if I can track the kit down. It might not have come to the UK or it may be OOP. Glad to hear you don't need the LCAs, dog of a build.

Sounds like your making steady progress. The UDTs had one tough assignment.

Good luck with the build and thanks for eveything.

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(But it is definitely 1/35. Sorry, Skipper!)

For figures, since the uniform of the day would have been Kapok vests, M1 helmets, and some wet weather gear (don't know the nomenclature, but the Italeri crew is dressed in it), I started my conversions by cutting the vests off both the Italeri and Revell crews, then adding Hornet heads and various infantry parts; the pants and sleeves will probably be built up with epoxy putty. I haven't quite got that step down either.

Good luck with the UDT Boat!

John A.

No need to apologise - this is just a proof that my memory is playing tricks on me :-)
Any chance on seing images of your Boat?

Skipper
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:09 AM UTC
Sure, Skipper

These are old ones, but they're handy:

These were taken before I discovered that this LCM didn't have a raft on board (there's the Revell raft, Alan!), and before I scrapped the Weasel and started over again. I'm starting my fourth try this weekend!

The LCM itself has not progressed since then; as you can see, it's straight out of the box so far. The subassemblies aren't even glued together. Before I get back to work on it, I'm taking these steps:

- talk to a former LCM/LCVP engineer/coxswain I just met about the finer points of the pilot house (rebuild the ramp latch pedal, add the ramp winch lever, add a compass, figure out that pintle gizmo)

- finish the Weasel

- bash together 30+ figures to go onboard the LCM. I know who most of them are - by name - and what they looked like, and I am shooting for the best likenesses I can manage. And I have to give them all coveralls over their field uniforms and add all kinds of custom engineer stuff for them to load them down

After that, I can detail and weather the LCM subassemblies, fasten everything onboard, glue the LCM together, and add the finishing touches. Then I risk it all by pouring water product all around it

The point here is, if you want to follow this project, please be patient...

I can tell you this, though: I am writing monthly progress reports for my hobby club newsletter. If you PM me, I can send you the PDFs. I've just finished my second article.

That's all for now. Good night!

John A.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:33 PM UTC
Morning John,

Thanks for that. There's a lot of work involved there. I like the idea of the Combat Demolition Teams. Will the LCM be beached or still at sea?

Thanks for the view of the raft.

Posting the progress would be good if you can organise that with Skipper.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi John,

Managed to get an image on screen!!! This is a picture looking up Nan Red beach just above the exit that will form a centre piece on the project I'm working towards. As I said a little artictic licence will be required as the RMs came off LSI but it will give you a general idea of the layout. For practice I'll post another picture looking back down the beach.

The tyde was well in when they landed so that might help reduce the amount of water that will be needed!!!

Cheers

Al

Edit: after a few attempts the second picture is still giving the red X. Must be too big. Will investigate and return!!!

Edited by Skipper: Al, you can place the image - I'll copy it and edit and post it here - if it is ok with you
:)

Just spotted that skipper - thanks

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hi Guys

This has become a most interesting post/tread
As most of you, little is known about the amount of work these little crafts did and still do and the way that they were operated!
Until this started - thanks for the info gathering and spreading the word about it

Keep the gang updated on the progress of your projects Alan and John... perhaps in a couple of months we can start to think about a Support Craft Campaign (LCM(3), LCVP, LCA's, UDT Boats, and so on and so on!)

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
Thanks for that skipper. Second image - looking back towards the sea wall with a disabled M7 in the foreground. Above/behine the wall are a couple of houses and LSI came broadside alter landing. Because the run in started late the defences were covered by water and a few ships were lost on mines etc.

Anyway hope you enjoyed the pictures. Is there a good size to set them at before uploading to the gallery? ie Width 12.14 Hight 8.46 or something?

[/img]

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:07 PM UTC

Skipper

EDIT: I can see it - how about you guys?
I have done nothing but copied the url code bellow the image on your gallery
Also I usually upload images 600x450 or 450x600 pixels unless they are of a different ratio (this is 4x3)

Hope this helps
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:27 PM UTC
Thanks skipper,

just put it down to an idiot user!!!!

Just in case it's not clear to everybody these pictuures came from The book D Day Commando by Ken Ford whom I mentioned earlier. It's an interesting read and covers much more than the landings on Nan Red and had many useful maps and reference photos. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it. However, I've seen the photos on a number of web sites so who owns them is anybodys guess.

I don't believe there's a copyright issue here as my understanding is that provided one is not using material for commercial gain or in a manner that damages the owner of the material then there shouldn't be a problem, but what do I know.

If anyone thinks there is an issue here, just let me know and I'll delete the photos.

Cheers

Al

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:34 PM UTC
I prefer the "new user" comment myself

You're welcome
Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Very proper. Re you previous post that got lost in my picture posting, I'll try and get some pictures of my three boats so far and see what the general opinion of the troops is.

Thanks for all the encouragement and a campaign in the future might be good fun.

I'm too slow a builder to every make a deadline (ha ha).

Thanks again

Cheers

Al (aka New User) Ha ha

_GOTOTOP