_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri PT Boat --- when?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 09:51 AM UTC
Heya, Folks,

Does anybody know when the new Italeri 35th scale PT boat is due out?

Slightly off topic: does anyone know what ever happened to the line of Vietname Riverine craft --- also 35th scale --- that were due out through the Squadron shop a little over a year ago...? Are these kits, er, dead in the water...?

Thanks!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:31 AM UTC
I can't help you with the PT boat but I think this is where they are planning to bring out various Brown Water Navy craft: (scroll down a little)

http://www.masterpiecemodels.com/for_sale/sale01.htm

hth
Mark
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 03:01 PM UTC
Ahoy, Mates!
I think you'll find out the PT Boat answer right HERE!

And yes, Masterpiece Models have released the Kit in question (and Oh is it a Doozy!, Fantastic piece of resin craftsmanship!)

Enjoy!
~Gunny
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC
Thanks, guys!

The MM C&C monitor looks great. I already have the Nimix monitor so I would probaby wait until they released something different like an ASPB in 35th. Wonder if they would consider a PACV hovercraft kit --- that's one I drop in the suggestion box at Tamiya Con every year!

Hey, Gunny, it sounds like you have the kit --- how did Masterpiece deal with the bar armor? The Nimix kit provided flat PE, which I will have to re-do with round rod (ouch!)

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, Gunny, it sounds like you have the kit --- how did Masterpiece deal with the bar armor? The Nimix kit provided flat PE, which I will have to re-do with round rod (ouch!)

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

Hey Johnny!
I don't have the kit yet, mate, but John Geigle from Masterpiece was at this years AMPS 2006 Convention with some of his stuff, and he had three of these kits with him...I talked to him at length about the kit, and he took one out and I got a chance to examine and photograph the kit...what a beautiful creation this is!
And a beast! The ship is a solid chunk of resin, about 2 feet long...Lots of fine looking little fittings also...the Bar armor is really cool, completely accurate cast resin pieces, 72 total, if my memory serves me right, all 12" long...you must cut and trim to length...looks really good, mate.
He sold two of the kits for a discounted $120.00 U.S. in a couple hours, and the third was promised at auction at the close of the Convention...the kits list at $170.00 on the company site...definitely worth every penny, too!
~Gunny
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:22 PM UTC
The Italeri Elco is being scheduled for 4th quarter release..Jim
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
I've heard both May and last quarter 2006 for the Italeri PT Boat release. A lot of sites are taking pre-orders. I saw one that was offering the kit at around $105. I was lucky enough to get a 1/35th resin PT from Viking USA before they went under some years back. Also, I've scratched a 1/35th Higgins PT, to be #71 when it was " delivering" OSS agents to the Normandy coast prior to D-Day. Also, am scatching a 1/35th BK1125. No, I didn't buy the Mig Productions kit for beaucoup $$$$. I did use their pics as a reference.

I'll post pics in the members gallery.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC
Good job Dave

For all our pleasure here are the photos of your works:

Viking Elco again alongside my scrath Higgins PT -being readied for OSS service. Will probably be PT #71. I'm planning on adding a stack or two of supply crates and probably a bofors gun aft. Forward will have a Oerlikon gun (mount is already there).

The Viking Elco again - the BK1125 topside. I have the turrets ready to go on and a little something extra for the aft-end. On the forward deck - port side, you can see a "coffee-stick" gangway I added.

Viking Models USA Elco PT Boat (resin) 1/35th - being retro fitted with early mast and radar
Alongside is a scratch 1/35th BK1125 waterline - sheet styrene

I think I have mentioned this before, but I never realized that the defunct Viking Models had an Elco. I had the chance of acquiring the Trieste II and all their 1/72 Riverine forces crafts (minus the diorama ones)...
This is a trully great revelation and the casting appears to be excellent compared with some of the above mentioned models (like the Trieste II)

Thanks for sharing

Skipper
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 07:09 PM UTC
Thanks Skipper. There's some more stuff for all to see. We'll call it "Call Sign Monster".....a little work I did a few years ago - all in 1/35th.

Uploaded to my gallery.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC
That's a pretty cool dio, Dave! What kit is this?
Sure would take up some space on my mantle! Here's a shot from Dave's gallery:

~Gunny
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC
Hey Gunny,

Ha! I wish it had been that easy! It's a scratch built PACV! If you look close, you'll see the Tamiya PBR guntub up top. Various other parts - left over 4 bladed prop, part of a 1/76th scale V - rocket, lots of strip and sheet styrene. If you check the gallery - you see that little gurney on the stbd side - it's bent plastic tubing with the mesh made from the net bag that onions come in! Underneath there is a balso frame, which is surrounded with a soft flexible piece of rubber I got from somewhere. The 2 fins in back are balsa with strip applied for the ribs. I scaled/detailed it from some photos and that little GHQ 1/285th PACV from way back. All in all I think it's pretty close. Oh, and it lifts off the base. Maybe I'll post a shot of the underbelly sometime!
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:50 AM UTC
Thanks again, Gunny!

Mind-numbingly beautiful work, Dave! I've seen your ladyin' landing craft but never your PT or PACV --- WOOF!

While I love building models, I must admit, there are some scratchbuilders and modelers' who's work I could stare at all day long... Inspiring and breathtaking stuff!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hey Thanks Johnny B.

Can't take credit for the landing craft you mentioned. Don't think it was mine. I'll try to post some more pics in a short time. The Higgins PT is destined for a Bofors in back and a bunch of boxes of supplies for the OSS mission. The BK1125 will have 2 smaller T-28 turrets and 1 T-34 big boy. The stern will have a Katyusha rocket launcher that I'm scavenging from the old Italeri kit. Railings and some deck hardware and it'll be a wrap - until I figure out how to create a realistic frozen river dio with some cracked ice!

All I need is a little time!!!!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gunny,

Oh, and it lifts off the base. Maybe I'll post a shot of the underbelly sometime!

Hi Dave!
I KNEW it had to be a scratcher, my friend, never seen anything like that before! Please, some close-up shots, mate!
~Gunny
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
I know that I am biased because I want a kit of one, but I honestly do think that a PACV would be a good seller as a kit... Maybe not runaway sales like on the myriad of German armor kits, but good enough to make money for the manufacturer. It would also appeal to armor and small craft/naval modelers...

Given their tendency to take risks on previously untackled kit subjects large and small, I would think that Trumpeter would be the obvious choice of manufacturer...

Out of curiousity, did the PACV ever serve with the British Army?

Indeed, Dave, would love ta see a shot of the underside of your scratched PACV --- my hat's off ta you for even bothering to do any detail down there!

My two cents, folks!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 07:34 AM UTC
I'm very curious about this one, as I suspect they based it on my 1/32 scale drawings of PT596. As far as I know, no one else has ever drawn this particular boat and she had no unusual history associated with her. The only reason I chose her was that I had some great dated photos that confirmed her particular configuration. I'll be writing a review for a certain modeling magazine when it comes out.

Al Ross
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 05:12 PM UTC
Hey Thanks,

I didn't detail the underside of the PACV - just thoiught that you all would be interested in seeing the underside to see how the structure itself looks to support the detailed topside. I think I read that there were only 4 PACV's in "Nam. Think I also read or saw somewhere that they were used in other countries - but I don't remember seeing any in military use.

I'll try to take some more shots this weekend and have them up by Monday.

Later!
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
Gotcha! And thanks again, Dave!

Looking forward to a peek behind the curtain at your scratched PACV!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
DaveF
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hey Johnny B. and Gunny,

Posted a few more shots of the PACV in my gallery. Didn't shoot the underside because I didn't have enough hands to manage propping it up and snapping the camera - without doing any damage. I'll try it again soon.

You'll see a couple of the "guys" are way too clean - must have missed that in my rush to pose them. Also - if you look close, you'll see I hurriedly put one figure straddling the stbd side window gunner - "Hey - watch where you point that thing".

Fortunately - he's mobile.

Enjoy!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:42 PM UTC
Thanks, Bro, those are some good shots!
Nice scratch project, mate...
~Gunny
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:29 AM UTC
Yep. Ditto, Dave --- amazin' work!!! Looking at your model makes me go WOW!

Now if only we can get Trumpeter or Italeri (both of which seem to have little or no fear about treading uncharted waters) to make a kit of the PACV!!!!!!!

Regards and Aloha,

JohnnyB.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hey David,

Email me at [email protected], OK?

Garth
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 03:23 AM UTC
Rui-

You have a Viking kit of the PT? Would you please email me photos of it, please? I have never seen one.

Also, would you tell me frankly and objectively what you thought/think of it? Thank you.

Also, I'd love to see photos of your Higgins PT too.

Garth
 _GOTOTOP