_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Esci/Imai Roman warship
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
I was digging through my old kits and in a forgotten box I found an old Esci/Imai Roman warship. Is this kit worth hanging onto to someday build or not?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 01:37 AM UTC
IMHO any ship like that is a worthy build. A little research and some extra detailing could really make a fine build out of it. Ships always seem to be the "mantle-piece" designators. Why wives seem to protest at other stuff(?) is one of the mysteries. If you live in post housing, and are on 5th ave you probably have a nice mantlepiece. When I was there we lived on Matthews Place until dad got his Eagle then we were on 4th in one of those gigantic duplexes. (68 - 72)
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 02:14 AM UTC

When I lived at Fort Knox, we lived at 181-E Pritchard Place. And I can remember the day my dad came home with "railroad tracks"!

Are those still quarters on post??

Tom
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was digging through my old kits and in a forgotten box I found an old Esci/Imai Roman warship. Is this kit worth hanging onto to someday build or not?

It's a keeper just by virtue of the obscure subject matter alone. Great find Rob! Now why can't I ever find stuff like that in my pile?......besides spiders.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robin, good find, mate!
And you may want to consider hanging onto the bugger for a short while, because we're planning a group build here at MSW for the Oars and Wind subjects, in plastic or wood, if you'd like to join us, my friend...I would say that this kit subject would fit the ticket!
~Gunny
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I lived at Fort Knox, we lived at 181-E Pritchard Place. And I can remember the day my dad came home with "railroad tracks"!

Are those still quarters on post??

Tom

Pritchard Place is still there, but it was rebuilt in the late 80s and is junior enlisted quarters now. Several of the housing areas have been torn down like Rose Terrace and Matthews. A new housing area is being built for senior enlisted at the spot of the former Anderson Golf Course (near the Wilson Gate).

I'll hold onto the ship for now. I've been trying to come up with a "get rid of" pile and ship models seem like the obvious place to start. I've probably had it for close to a decade and it is no closer to being built now than it was then.

I also ran across several other boats like an old UPC PT boat called the Brave Border (P1011) and an Imai yellow motorized speed boat racer.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC

Anderson GC gone now....wow!! I worked at Linsey in the pro-shop for 3 years. Is that now the post GC or did they make another general one. I haven't been back to Knox since mid 80's. Probably wouldn't recognize the place. I used to baffle my fellow officers when going place to place as they always used Wilson to travel from place to place and me having been a kid there for 4 years knew the post like the back of my hand. I wonder why they tore up Rose Terrace....wasn't that the area across from the High School?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anderson GC gone now....wow!! I worked at Linsey in the pro-shop for 3 years. Is that now the post GC or did they make another general one. I haven't been back to Knox since mid 80's. Probably wouldn't recognize the place. I used to baffle my fellow officers when going place to place as they always used Wilson to travel from place to place and me having been a kid there for 4 years knew the post like the back of my hand. I wonder why they tore up Rose Terrace....wasn't that the area across from the High School?

Rose Terrace was across from New Gardens apartments, directly across 31W from the museum. Yes, Lindsey GC is the post GC. The officer's club is now the "Leader's Club" and open to all ranks. The NCO Club by the museum is gone.

Most of the swimming pools are gone. There is an indoor olympic sized pool at the spot where the Anderson Golf Course club house was. There is a water park behind the Devers Youth Center (by the Chaffee Road shopette). Gammon Gym (by the hospital) has just been renovated. There is a new gym over by the Armor School's old PT track.

Because of post-9/11 concerns, some of the gates are gone/closed. The Chaffee Gate was closed. That's right, no more access by New Gardens. The new main gate is in front of the Depository (old Bullion Gate) and now renamed Chaffee Gate. The other two gates that are open are Brandenburg Station Road and Wilson Road.

The post changed a lot since my first posting here in 87 and my last posting here in 91-92.

Here's a link to the housing areas: http://www.knox.army.mil/garrison/dbos/housing.htm
 _GOTOTOP