_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
itty bitty battleship models
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
My 1:1200 model of the Littorio came in toaday. It was pre-built. Took me 10 minute to unwrap the thing ...that is how well it was done. I was totally blown away by what I saw. It is exquisite for something so small. I have to have more. Skipper this is close to your neck of the woods. It is made in Italy by a company called Miniships. it is plastic not one of those $125 metal ones made in Germany. See if you can locate some for me. At present I have a Tirpitz (bismarck) Scharnhorst and Littorio
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
I agree 100% Steve...I like these little beauties too!
They're all over E-bay.uk, but not very easy to find here at home. For those interested, here's a pretty cool link about these ships...

SMALL

~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
Gunny:

thanks for that link, now I know what as all produced. I have seen several other ships not on the list posted so I realize that if I want any of those I will have to bid a lot higher than I have been for these other ones i have procurred. Hopefully you guys will keep an eye out there for me. Especially our European brethern as there still seem to be a few lingering kits out there.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hi

1:1200 holy cow and I was complaining about working with 1:700.

My respect for ship modellers is ever growing every day I visit here.

Regards

Sean
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 05:52 AM UTC
I'm afraid at that scale and with me, it would require the use of nano-bots.

And I complain about 1:425th scale.
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:28 PM UTC
hello all

I'm finally back in action, after having they unpleasent experience to be forced to move two times in 1 year.. (grrrr women, never again) .. finally i've got time again to unpack my modelling stuff.. or what's left of most of it.

my god, these little beauties are indeed very detailed.
It's just hard to figure out how small they really are without having a reference item in the background, like a hand or something.. anybody have any ideas about their measurements?

[]-- my apologies for the campaings I signed up for, but never came round to start or complete them...

see ya around. :
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hello all

I'm finally back in action, after having they unpleasent experience to be forced to move two times in 1 year.. (grrrr women, never again) .. finally i've got time again to unpack my modelling stuff.. or what's left of most of it.

my god, these little beauties are indeed very detailed.
It's just hard to figure out how small they really are without having a reference item in the background, like a hand or something.. anybody have any ideas about their measurements?

[]-- my apologies for the campaings I signed up for, but never came round to start or complete them...

see ya around. :

Ahoy, Bjorn,
Welcome back mate!
For a good indication of just how small these ship kits are, take a look here at a recent MSW feature...

REALLY SMALL

Amazing stuff! These are 1/1250, very close to the size of Miniship's...
~Gunny
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 05:02 PM UTC
wow, that's incredible stuff Gunny.

I think this is way out of my league to try.
Just thinking about handpainting them gives me a headache.

If you would be able to paint a layer as thin as 0.2 mm, which is less than a hair, this would mean that in real life she would be coated with 2.5 cm paint... I know sailors are generally very generous when retouching the iron ladies, but that's a lot of paint !!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
So far I have only been able to get the Littorio. (still waiting on the Tirpitz & Scharnhorst to arrive in mail) It is close to 8 inches long. A Yamato or Iowa would probably hit 9 inches
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
I have gotten / won several more and had a guy who is going to give me one. One of the dealers I talked with in Colorado says he has them all. So, after I get my share, :-) :-) let me know and I'll put you in contact with him. Construction isn't difficult, no pe and a lot of the detail is molded. Should be kind of fun as you probably could knock out 2 in a weekend easily. They make great llittle desk displays and are small enough to put on a computer at work, so you you can recruit !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP