_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Campaign Forming!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
Ahoy, mates!
All ye' PT boat lovers out there! Sign up today for MSW's future campaign, "Military Small Craft"! Follow the link below and join up today!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Sounds like an interesting campaign, if I can find the time, I may join.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
Count me in! Some of my favourite boats
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:09 AM UTC
Just looked around to see what kits are available and hopefully I’ll be able to join in on the fun.
Just depends on how long it takes me to do the other projects I have lined up.
I won’t sign up until I know for sure.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:33 AM UTC
C'mon, Mates!
She doesn't start until April of '07!!!
Lotsa time to plan yer build!!!!
~Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in! Some of my favourite boats

Sounds great, Rip!
What do you think you'll be building?
~Gunny
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
Well I already have the Revell S-boat and Airfix E-boat in my stash... Would like to think they will both be built before the start date, but with my build speed that's pretty unlikely! If however they are done I would love to try scratch-building a Fairmile D in 1/72 scale - but don't hold me to that :-)
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If however they are done I would love to try scratch-building a Fairmile D in 1/72 scale - but don't hold me to that :-)

A 1/72 scale Fairmile D it is, then!...
But seriously Rip, this would make for a very interesting entry (and feature article! hint-hint!) mate!
~Gunny
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 03:39 PM UTC
Unfortunately all I have so far is a reference book (Anatomy of the Ship), and lots of ambition. Now I just need to find a big bucket of talent...
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:37 PM UTC
Count me in Gunny!!

this sounds like a good excuse to buy the new revell schnellboat with flak armament!!
Does anybody know which units can be built out of the box using the provided decals? (so I can do some research?)

warvos
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in Gunny!!

this sounds like a good excuse to buy the new revell schnellboat with flak armament!!
Does anybody know which units can be built out of the box using the provided decals? (so I can do some research?)

warvos

Hey Bjorn!

The Revell S-100 is quite accurate OOB, mate...not to mention a real gas to build!
Check out this link and what this reviewer has to say about the decal...

Schnellboot

~Gunny

Vulcan20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy, mates!
All ye' PT boat lovers out there! Sign up today for MSW's future campaign, "Military Small Craft"! Follow the link below and join up today!

I guess Tamiya's PBR will not qualify. Although it's a military small craft, patrol boat, but not carry torpedo.

Timing is good since it cross 2 summer breaks and I hope that I can finish one

I need some suggestions on potential projects so that I can start the research part and decide which one will fit the bill and time. As I recall that Chinese Navy used to have tons of former Soviet PT boat. IIRC, it has 1 torpedo tube on each of the port and starboard side and 1 twin AA gun turret (23mm? 37mm?) at each of bow and stem. Does anyone know any kit in plastic?

Well this time, I will make sure I won't open the box until the starting day and enlisted.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I need some suggestions on potential projects so that I can start the research part and decide which one will fit the bill and time.

Hello, mate!
How about a little more specifics, what scale, era, etc., are you thinking about building? There are many excellent kits out there that will fit time and budgets!

Quoted Text

As I recall that Chinese Navy used to have tons of former Soviet PT boat. IIRC, it has 1 torpedo tube on each of the port and starboard side and 1 twin AA gun turret (23mm? 37mm?) at each of bow and stem. Does anyone know any kit in plastic?

I'm not sure if I have ever seen this particular subject, mate, but I'll be doing some digging around to see what I can come up with!

Hope to see you in the campaign!
~Gunny
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC
Great -you do one now - after I finished my Schnellboot!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great -you do one now - after I finished my Schnellboot!

Yeah John, I know, but there's alot more kits out there mate!
(Italeri's yet to be released Elco?? )
~Gunny
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As I recall that Chinese Navy used to have tons of former Soviet PT boat. IIRC, it has 1 torpedo tube on each of the port and starboard side and 1 twin AA gun turret (23mm? 37mm?) at each of bow and stem. Does anyone know any kit in plastic?

After a little bit research, I found out that the Chinese PT boat that I mentioned is former Soviet P-6 and later on the Chinese had their own Type 25 Huchuan class. I don’t know if any of those in plastic.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I need some suggestions on potential projects so that I can start the research part and decide which one will fit the bill and time.

Hello, mate!
How about a little more specifics, what scale, era, etc., are you thinking about building? There are many excellent kits out there that will fit time and budgets!

If I can’t find the Chinese one in kit then I will lean to U.S. or British WWII ones in plastic. I’m not familiar with ship scale. Tamiya’s 1/35 PBR is good in size and detail so I guess a PT boat in 1/35 or 1/72 may be in good size and detail. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Steven
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1/72 may be in good size and detail. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Steven

Hi Steve!
I'm going to give you a link to one of the best kit's available, OOB, IMHO, for a PT style boat mate...builds up into a fine looking machine, fairly inexpensive, and readily available...check it out HERE
~Gunny
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Ahoy, mates!

IGunny
OK,Mate, sign me up. It will give me the reason to get off my butt and build the Airfix MTB. With all of today's updates and goodies for this kit, it will be interesting to see if I can accomplish a decent build. Of course, if we don't start until next April, a whole lot can happen between now and then. Remember the MAS boats are also coming this year. Could prove to be an interesting build. See Ya, Bruce
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 02:38 AM UTC
you might want to recheck dates. You have it starting in April 2007 and finishing in Oct 2008 !! A year and a half to do a model PT boat? That's an awful long campaign.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you might want to recheck dates. You have it starting in April 2007 and finishing in Oct 2008 !! A year and a half to do a model PT boat? That's an awful long campaign.

Well mate, I didn't think it should take a year and a half to build a Dreadnought or a Flattop either, but we had 18 months on The Dreadnoughts Campaign and Flattops is STILL going! ....it may look a little long in writing, but campaign history tells a different story, my friend!

The campaign is only in the forming stage really, plenty of time for changes if necessary...realistically, it may not even be approved, without enough participation.
~Gunny
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Thanks Gunny for the suggestion.

Best Regards,
Steven
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gunny for the suggestion.

Best Regards,
Steven

No problem, Steve...whaddaya think?
~Gunny
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

~Gunny

Very nice article and I checked another build up article linked in his article as well. Haven't check the reference site linked yet. Now I start to debat whether to get WEM PE or just OOB. As he mentioned that the detail on AA guns are sparse and the WEM PE can really dress up. I will see how good I'm working on 1/35 armor PE then decide whether to get 1/72 WEM.

Best Regards,
Steven
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

~Gunny

Very nice article and I checked another build up article linked in his article as well. Haven't check the reference site linked yet. Now I start to debat whether to get WEM PE or just OOB. As he mentioned that the detail on AA guns are sparse and the WEM PE can really dress up. I will see how good I'm working on 1/35 armor PE then decide whether to get 1/72 WEM.

Best Regards,
Steven

Steve,
I agree 100% with Jeff on all points of this kit, Bro. It all depends on how stuffy you are about certain details, I guess...I've built this kit both ways, and was pleased equally, mate. I have an unbuilt S-100 in the stash now, probably will build it for this campaign if we get approved!
~Gunny
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hmm, interesting. Does anyone know whether there's a kit available of the Israeli Dvora missile/gunboat?
 _GOTOTOP