_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Trumpeter 1/35 LCM 3 - Deck Extension?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC
Greeting all from the South China Sea - well almost!!!

I picked up the Trumpeter LCM3 for about 13 quid here in China. I was wondering if there were any build issues with it.

Also if possible I'd like to extend the deck to accommodate the 2 x 20mm cannon I got from AA last year but couldn't use on my first LCM 3 because of the size issue and the fact tthat the boat was pretty much finished when I decided to add them.

Could anyone tell me how I might go about extending the deck to acommodate the wpns? Bear in mind that I have limited tools and scratchbuilding experience. So any advice needs to be straight forward and simple!!!

I just couldn't resist adding another to the fleet :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 08:13 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Hmmm, need some thoughts and ideas here folks.

'Wot' everyine on holiday!!! :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 03:48 PM UTC
Hey Alan!
I myself have never built the Trump LCM 3 (yet!), still in the stash, and looking at the kit's instructions and parts, I really couldn't give you an easy fix for this one mate...it's going to take a bit of scratchbuilding with some sheet styrene of the same thickness, and a little putty and work to match old deck/extension. C'mon, take a chance and see what ye come up with! You really can't do anything that can't be un-done, if ya know what I mean?!
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 03:06 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Information is starting to drift in slowly. I'm still hoping to get sight of the picture I remember from the original post. A Vietnam setting would be different for me. I don't fancy the LCM 6, just adding an extra bit of hull.

The stash has grown from one Trumpter LCM 3 to two (the second of which I picked up in Scotland for 9.99 LOL, LOL) so I may switch my thinking depending upon what turns up over the next few weeks. There are some good refrernce photos about for the landings in Scily and Italy which I discovered late in the last build or I could go for something on Utah Beach which is a bit under represebted or stick with my British theme.

I'll await developments, got some good references on the armour site probably because it's a bit more active although they had appeared here some time ago, hopefully when people realise the lastest newtwork posts link there will start to be more of a cross over of information again.

More Grey Paint and Blue Uniforms :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP