_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Light Seal Support Craft
JamesBond
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
Can anybody tell me the exact color of the LSSC used in Vietnam by the Navy Seals?

Thanks guys.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
I cannot be absolutely sure as far as LSSC goes but other brown water patrol boats were usually painted in dark green.
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 01:54 PM UTC
go to Google, type in "riverine warfare + vietnam" and hold on! there is an amazing amount of information on the web on this subject, including a ton of photos.
The main thing to remember if you want to stay authentic is that no mater what color the boats were, above the waterline they were always faded from the sun.
Hope this helps,
daredevil
werwulf
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
Check this site out, it's seals and the equipment used during their Brown water escapades in Vietnam.
http://www.mst2-vietnam.info/index.html
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
Guys, maybe someone could clear something up for me..?

I've just bought the Dragon LSSC and intend to get around to it one day soon.... :-)

As part of my research (ie, actually putting off doing any modelling...) I've been reading a pretty durn interesting book about the SEALs in Vietnam called 'Swimmers in the Trees'

Now, in this book, there's reference to both the LSSC and a SEAL Team Assualt Boat (STAB) - the pictures label what looks like the Dragon kit as being a STAB.

I'm confused and annoyed - were there two sorts of boats, is the Dragon kit mislabelled, or what?

It's a nifty looking kit and I'm looking forward to getting started someday soon, but I'd like to get my head straight about what I'm actually building here...

regards

acav
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC
No, the Dragon kit is correct (to the best of my Knowlege)
csago
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 219 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
The Dragon kit itīs allright, an LSSC; the STAB (seal team assault boat) was another kind of craft, with some diferences, mainly in the back of the ship. I made a diorama with a LSSC and a Seal Team aboard, if you like it you can look at members gallery. You must correct some wrong points of the kit (forget the figure of the machinegunner, and the head of the pilot, use the one of DML Helicopter crew kit for instance). If you want more information you can ask for it to me. Bye bye and haapy modelling
 _GOTOTOP