_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
1/35 Propellers and other LCM questions
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:27 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Apparently the Trumpter LCM 3 has 4 bladed propellers instead of 3 bladed curved ones. Would these still be correct to use?

Also their boat has ramp moving slides on both sides whereas the Italeria boat has this only on the left (port) side, Does anyone know if there were differences in the build of the LCM 3 and whether or not I can build OOB or need to change/amend these parts?

There are other differences that the PMMS review showed up but are more minor and I can probably fix them easily enough!!!!!!!

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Al

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 03:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings all,

Apparently the Trumpter LCM 3 has 4 bladed propellers instead of 3 bladed curved ones. Would these still be correct to use?

Al

Ahoy, Al!
As we have discussed before, I too have Trumps LCM 3 in the stash but she is still lying unbuilt (and will be for some time, unfortunately!), but I have done a little research to date...
There aren't many pictures that I've found yet of the bottom aft hull, at least very good ones, but I've seen one that shows the screws as they are depicted on the Italeri kit, but I'm not saying that somewhere, there isn't a craft such as the Trump kit...Personally, if I were you, at this point I would try to contact John Antkowiak here at the site, he's written some good articles on landing craft, so he may have access to some really good references.
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Hopefully he might pick up on the post. I have a lot of stuff at home I can check up on when I get back but these issues didn't affect my Italerti build so I can't really remember if I looked into them any deeper at the time.

Anything you turn up please let me know.

Cheers

Al.

Ps: what do you think of a dockyard scene? I'm tempted to add the launching of an X Craft into the setting :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

PPs: Any thoughts on where I might get 1/35 replacement propellers???
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC
Alan,
I'm away from my ref material for a couple weeks, but I believe 3-blade to be correct. I do forget about the 'ramp moving slides' but if you are talking about the pulley mechs on the cable for the ramp. then I believe it should only be on the left (port) side. IIRC, the cable attached (thru a sheave bracket) to the ramp on the starboard side, ran back, thru the housing & then forward around the side pulley to the shave bracket to the port side. The winch engine pulled or loosened the pulley slide mech and that is what tightened or slackened the cable to raise/lower the ramp ... It looks clearer in pictures ...

BTW, the Trumpter hull is way (severl feet) too deep -- the Italeri LCM is better scale ...

John
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for that feedback. Hopefully the small issues I will be able to put right. The hull size, well they are both going into the water so I hope that will solve the problem and I will just have to live with it.

I've built the Italeri Boat, it was my first choice given the review on PMMS but these two I got for a song and couldn't resist a bargin one for 13 quid and the other for a tenner. The Turmpter boat hasn't sold as well as the Italeria one probably for the specific reasons mentioned.

It will be some weeks yet before I get around to starting the build so any further information on fixes and stuff that you can come up with would be much appreciated.

Re the pully mechanism, I'll build it like the Italerie one as best I can on the port side only.

Thanks again

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:38 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Just looking at the 4 blade propellers with this kit.

It might be possible to reposition two blades for the required 3 blade effect. Need to think about shaping them with more of a curve unless anyone can think of a replacement set or better way to solve the problem.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP