_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
USN - What Small Craft Are Available in 1/35
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 01:50 PM UTC
Greeting all,

I'm working through some ideas for my British Dockyard dio. I'd like to include some USN personnel. I had thought about doing the LCMs as American Boats and that's still a possibility although I prefer the British Camo Scheme and doing one boat of each would look daft I think.

Anyway are there any other small USN boats in 1/35, I'm thinking maybe a small motor launch or something like that?

Also I have a post in Dios about the MIG 1/35 Harbour/Railway Cargo Crane, would it also be suitable for a British setting, has anyone built it etc, etc.

Finally for now (ho, ho, ho) and this is only a possibility would any of the X craft used in the Landings have been moored in the docks around Southern England prior to D Day? That AA kit is looking more tempting all the time and the three boats together might look great!!!! :-) :-) :-)

I've also spotted a small sailing boat that has possibilities :-) :-) :-)

One more thought and I assume I'm right in my thinking here the LCMs would have been used to ferry cargo, troops and stores to the mother ship when in port?

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:39 PM UTC
Ahoy Alan!
There's a good bit out there mate...just pick an online hobby store of your choice and search 1/35 scale ship models. Here's what Squadron has to offer Click Here
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:04 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Not much new there I'm afraid, just the LCMs and LCVPs mostly stuff I was aware of.

Really looking for some sort of motor launch or small cutter (would that be the right term?) that might conatin a visiting crew of USN.

Now if the salvage boat was around that would do very nicely!! :-) :-) :-)

I'll have a trawl around when I get back to the UK and see what if anything new truns up.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
Greetings all,

I must be going senile I had forgotten about the Revell 1/35 UTD Boat!!

Problem, I have searched everywhere I know in the UK for this Kit and cannot find it, had given up and forgotten about it. Please don't suggest e-bay I won't trade through them.

Question: does anyone know if it still available anywhere in the States?

Alternative: does anyone have one in their stash that's never going to get built and would either sell or trade it.

This is about the only craft I can think of that will fit in with my plans.

Can anyone help???????????

Cheers

Al

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi Alan

Although I can not help you with the UDT boat, I can help you with the X-Craft question:
In January 1944, X 20 landed hydrographic experts to gather information on the Normandy beaches (Operation Postal Able) and, in June, together with X 23, acted as navigational beacons to guide in the first wave of assault craft on D-Day (Operation Gambit).
Although for Op. Gambit a different painting scheme was used (instead of the all black used in Operation Source - against DKM Tirpitz) there are no accurate or defenitive sources for it, so the scheme painted on the box of the full hull A.Armour X-Craft is speculative, although it makes some sense.

Just my two cents on this issue - hope this helps

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Thanks for that, my thinking is that it might be a posibility, they had to be moored somewhere! I knew about them being used as navigational beacons to guide the ships in so if funds allow it would make a nice addition to the moored boats, a bit of vatiety if you know what I mean.

Although I prefer the British Camo Scheme on the LCM if I can add a differnt RN craft I might make the LCMs as American Boats, which would give a nice contracst in terms of a mix of figures etc and make it a more Allied setting. Stores and Troops being loaded up.

The LCMs would have been used to ferry stores and troops to the mother ship, a pier, with tracks running on to it, some kind of goods wagon, stores and a variety of civilian and military figures might be quite workable, the various elements seem to be falling into place and it would be a good one to get complete while I continue to make the various base elements for the D D setting.

Small rowing and sailing craft are available that could also add interest and I had though about the possibility of using a captured German mini sub being hauled from the water or on display close to the pier awaiting transportation.

Anyway the main elements seem to be in place, although there are some issues with the Trumpter LCMs, if I can track down one of the old UDT boats that will allow greater flexability in terms of the final set up.

There are several items from U Models that would fit in very nicely with such a setting and a sufficient range of civilian figures to make interesting activity on the pier and shoreline.

I need to study some dockyard photographs when I get back, and mooring arrangements for boats. I have a fairly good recollection of the pier arrangement in my old town back home so it could be a good one and coming in about half the size of the D Day project a good opportunity to make some water!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)

If you come across the UDT Boat on your travels let me know. I have to say I'm getting quite excited by the idea. I'll keep you posted and no doubt be back with endless questions :-) :-) :-) :-) .

Cheers mate,

AL
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 05:58 PM UTC
Hi Alan

I'll see what I can do about the UDT
But no promises, as you may understand

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Thanks for that. Paul (nato308) is having a look state side to see if it might be available there also.

Have still to get confirmation on rail widths, there are conflicting views so lots more research needed on the rolling stock and track for the dock.

Cheers

Al

Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
I'll keep an eye out for the UDT boat at the swap meets and such (as soon as my nine month old allows me to get back to them!), Alan.

Let us know if you find one, so we can call off the dogs!

Can you indicate your price range...?

Much Aloha,

John B.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi Johnny,

There was one one eBay recently that went for $21.00 which is probably about right.

Cheers

Al
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hello, Alan!

I'm glad you're still considering the UDT boat. I'd love to build mine as you describe, but it's already slated for water-technique testing for my main project.

The Washington DC figure club's show is next week; there's a chance I could pick one up for you there. I'll even call the vendors ahead of time to let them know we'd be interested!

As for supply-laden LCMs, that French site on D-Day has outstanding photos of that very scenario. (I think it's in France rather than England, though.) And they show an interesting twist: African American supply troops (Army) accompanying the transfer of goods.

I think the site was http://www.archivesnormandie39-45.org/rech.php.

Hope that helps!

John A.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:13 PM UTC
Morning John,

Thanks very much for the link, my foreign languages are pretty weak I'm sorry to say but I'll find my way through it. I like the idea of Afro/American Sailors in the setting as they are always under represented, and would fit well within the mix of figures I'm planning. Good thought mate.

Thanks very much for keping an eye out for the UDT Boat, Skipper and Paul (nato 308) and a couple of others are doing the same.

I have one possible source at the moment and I'm just awaiting a reply so I might hear today. I'll keep everyone posted by PM if I get lucky.

Re; the water I'm going to have to do a number of very small test to see what works best, shrinkage and melting!!!

Cheers

Al
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:53 PM UTC
Al - firstly, good luck with your search! Secondly, if you manage to turn up more than one boat please let me know; having followed this thread I quite fancy building one myself!

Cheers

Graham
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 04:05 PM UTC
Morning Graham,

Will do.

Cheers

Al