_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
UDT Boat Update and Dinghy Question
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 02:45 AM UTC
Greeting all,

Just to let you know I believe I had secured the UDT Boat I've been looking for for some time. Thanks to every one who offered to keep an eye out for the kit, but I ve done the deal as they say and will let you know when she arrives.

While I'm waiting for some parts to dry on my Sherman V I've started to build the small wooden dinghy form Verlinden. It's a nice enough kit, althoug it's flat bottomed which was disappointing.

Anyway, there is a small rectangular part that I can't quite figure our where it should go. It's not a rudder but it's got me stumpted.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
Not familiar with the kit, but it might be the center board.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 04:31 AM UTC
That would be my first thought as well (but I'd go for a centre board ) Perhaps you could post us a pic and then we could probably be of more help
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

I thought it might be that also but there is no suitable place for it to go. I have a feeling it's meant to to a fixed rubber, it's just that it's twice the size needed but small rowing boats often have a small fixed rubber and as this one doesn't it's about to get one. LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi,

Here's a picture of the boat and the part:

NB: Pictures removed for Gallery Space

I thought about a centre board but a rowing boat wouldn't have one normally, so I think it's just an oversized fixed rudder??

Cheers

AL
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC
Got me stumped, any row boats I ever used, you used the oars for steering. If there is a place to step a mast before the center seat or aft of the bow seat, I'd still say center board, it not, I have no idea. (of course I've never used a European rowboat, so they may be constructed differently.) Looks like there are three fittings for the oar locks, along each side.

As a side note, be warned that the UDT boat you are looking for is actually 1/32 scale and hales from around 1958. (built many of them as a kid). They went up great with cotton balls soaked in lighter fluid in the pool, which normally ticked off mom and pop.... :-) :-) (actually got me banned from building models for a period of time!!!) :-) :-)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Yip I'm stumpted too.

Re the UDT boat I heard it's more 1/32 than 1/35 but as the Trumpter LCMs are a little off as well I don't think it will matter too much.

It was either the UDT boat or an AA X Craft at £130.00 plus so it will be a bit less expensive. An X Craft would have been really cool but unless I win the lottery before the tide comes in I think not.

I was thinking of making some fishing net for the wee boat from string, small beads, if I can get some, and some camo netting. That should be fun, no lobster pots though. don't think I could manage those :-) :-) :-) :-) , but I might have a go at some dead fish :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP