_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
LHS Rumor: Ital PT Boat cancelled...?!?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 09:06 AM UTC
Heya, Folks,

I hope that this is not true, but upon visiting my local hobby shop today, I was told that the 35th scale Italeri PT boat has been cancelled!

I really hope that this is incorrect or at worst, it has just been postponed (which as we all know, happens often)...

Has anybody else heard anything to substantiate or defeat this rumor...?

I'll be bummed if it is true...

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:33 PM UTC
Ahoy, Johnny B.!

I have some good contacts out in the industry, mate, and thus far, nothing has been said of a cancellation of the kit. . .I will let you know, though, if something of the sort does arise. It might just be some LHS conversation, so at this point, I'll still plan on receiving my kit from Squadron as soon as they get it in stock!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
Havoc,

Here's what's on MRC's website under Italeri...

Quoted Text

A hot, new, rare ocean-going addition is the generously detailed 1/35 scale Torpedo Boat PT-596 to be released in October.

And, Squadron still has them on presell . I don't think that they would continue to presell a kit that has been cancelled.
The rumor may have come from the fact that Testor's and Italeri's websites don't have the kit listed. But, considering the excitement, they may have pulled it off until just before it actually ships.
I'd watch the major retailers like Squadron. If they're still taking pre-orders, you can bet it's on it's way...sooner or later (sorry Gunny).

Kenny
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
Sounds good ta me, guys, thanks!

I am hoping that it was just some sort of weird snafu...

Agreed --- given all the hype, excitment and pre-selling, it would not make sense to suddenly pull the plug on this kit. This also does not seem Italeri's style (Dragon has done this on more than one occassion).

Okay, I'm back ta being PSYCHED

Thanks, amigos! Lemme know what your contacts "on the streets" (and in the hobby world) continue ta say...

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy, Johnny B.!

I have some good contacts out in the industry, mate, and thus far, nothing has been said of a cancellation of the kit. . .I will let you know, though, if something of the sort does arise. It might just be some LHS conversation, so at this point, I'll still plan on receiving my kit from Squadron as soon as they get it in stock!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny

Hi Gunny,

I hope you told them (Italeri) about my need for Multi Purpose Sailors, a Salvage Boat and some Accessories Kits for 1/35 Boats :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

October isn't too far away and I do have those 2Omm cannon

Cheers

Al
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC
You said it, Al! BRING IT ON!

Honestly, other than Warriors LCVP set (and their hoped for LCM crew set) I dunno of any other figure manufacturer who makes a set in resin or plastic in 35th scale... Which is a shame, given this great new(ish) trend of LCMs, LCVPs and now a PT Boat. I would bet money that Warriors will do a couple of crew sets --- alas, while their figures are usually well sculpted, they ain't cheap.

I wonder if the PT boat sells well if Italeri will continue the trend of 35th scale water craft (and amphibious LVT-type craft)...? Would love an LCM-6 or any of the French Indochine or Vietnam era Riverine craft... Heck, even some of the modern craft being employed in the Gulf I'd take.

And yeah, Al, I am hoping that lots of companies will release accessory sets for the PT boat --- those things were customized like hotrods...the possibilities are endless!

By the way, Hobbyland (in the States) has the PT listed for November. You good folks across the pond may see it sooner...

Just to torture myself, I pulled out my Nimix 35th scale Vietnam-era Monitor --- man, do I want to get started on that sucker! Of course, having a ten month old son who is into any mayhem he can manage,means that it's going ta have ta wait a bit. Maybe by then, someone will have released an ASPB!

Okay, last off-topic rant... Has anyone seen the article in the new Fine Scale Modeler on making water with celluclay...? I know this is old hat for most of you, but the result is pretty cool. I saw a demo at my club this weekend of a couple of Andrea water products and I wasn't that impressed... May buy some and try it out anyway...

Whoa! My kid's asleep --- time ta grab a little modeling time!

Much Aloha, my friends...

Johnny B.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
I would love to see a couple of 10 man sets of LCVP infantry before I get a kit. I would love to do a beachhead diorama, but don't want to spend several hundred dollars buying individual figures tthat would fit in. Glad to hear that the PT boat is soon to be released. It will makea welcome addition to the other small craft kits that Italerie has released
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Hi Johnny, lets hope they keep adding to their 1/35 small boat range.

Steve, I know exactly what you mean about figures - there aren't many around that fit the bill. A few sets if you want US NWE but anything else is a mix and match job at best.

Cheers

Al

Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hey, Al,

Yep, who knows what Italeri might do if the PT boat is succesful! Any ideas on what you'd like them ta do...? I'm also hoping against hope that Ital will continue their tracked LVT series...

And yeah, Steve, I too, have been lamenting the thought of populating either my LCM or LCVP with Marines but cannot think of any economical way to do so... If only a company would release "bulk sets" of moderately detailed very basic figures --- I'm not talking Dragon Gen 2 here --- heck I'd settle for the lower quality early Dragon figures --- to man our landing craft!

I don't know how to cast yet, but I guess that will have to be the route to go...after spending time to modify the figures suitable...

Well, I guess that this is a "good" problem to have! At least we finally have the kits!

Much Aloha, guys!

Johnny B.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi Johnny,

For me after the PT Boat it would be the Salave Boat that came up in an earlier thread, plus an Accessories set to tart up the other boats with boat hooks and fire buckets, life preservers and the like.

I'd like a British MTB but the chances of that are probably nil LOL, LOL.

The Salvage boat looked just right for 1/35 and would be a cool addition.

Happy modelling

Cheers

Al

alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like a British MTB but the chances of that are probably nil LOL, LOL.

Or maybe a British Power Boat 71'6" MGB...arrr, arrr, arrr

Al
 _GOTOTOP