_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
LCM 3 and LCP (R) Progress Pics
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC
Greetings all,

I've been doing some work on the Trumepter LCM 3 and the LCP (R) boat and wanted to get some feed back.

Here's some shots of progress so far:

LCM 3

Picture Removed for Gallery Space - see below

LCP (R)

Picture Removed for Gallery Space - See below

The LCP (R) is not as far advanced. Some questions; Would this boat be OK in it's present configuration? The few pictures I've seen of the LCP (R) show armour plate on the sides. Would it be more appropriate to remove the side runners and if so any suggestions on making the plate, ie: a good source for rivets/bolts. Alternatively would it be OK in it's present state which looks a bit more like a motor launch?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
I like your boat Al, but is this comming from your pictures or -the side of the boat seems to be hansomely weathered, but not the inside or the top of the boat?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hi Jean,

Both the top and well have only been weathered lightly, with some light grime and rust. I wanted some ideas on the deck which I suspect would have been 'cleaner' and maybe in somewhat better order. Any ideas for paint mixes would help or I can blend it in with the hull sides. The bottom of the well has been weathered but only lghtly marked on the sides.

Suggestions and thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:34 PM UTC
Greetigns all

Here's an update on the weathering I did to the deck last night.

LCM 3

PHOTO'S EDITED FOR UPDATE

I think the deck looks OK now, the well is much darker than apears in these pictures so I will leave well alone for now. (LOL)

Still to do; add the .50 cals, fenders, ropes, fire extinguisher, crew. Changes made: added the 4 cargo hooks in the well, changed the propeller from 4 blades to 3, added the side thingy on the RHS. On the Italeri boat there is a small circular hatch on the stern. Does anyone know what this is and if I need to replicate it on the Trumpeter Boat???

I'd like to do some of Gunny's fenders but as I ned 12 plus I think I'll await the arrival of the Needle/Thread chart LOL, LOL. I have old tyres from my Unwanted Tyres Post so can use several of them as well.

I need to make some boat hooks, which I can do from plastic rod if I can figure out a reasonable looking hook for the end. More weathering is needed on the decals, but I think it's starting to look reasonable?????

LCP (R)

PHOTO'S EDITED FRO UPDATE

I've done a litle more weathering on the LCP (R). I want to add side armour plate so if anyone has any thoughs or diagrams that might help that would be much appreciated. I'll remove the side runners to fit these. What would be appropriate size rivets to use???

The ramp is moulded onto the lower hull and the top deck contains the top part of the ramp. I've cut this off and will replace it and also grouved down the side of the ramp to try and make it look a bit more like the real thing. I've added some cleats that were missing althoug they don't show in this photo and some small brass hooks for the life preservers to hang on. Does anyone know the colour of the navigation lights on this boat???

Lots still to do on this one I need to make some tarps to cover the .30 cal housings and some fenders and rope for the life preservers and make a crew. This will probably be a British Boat so I need to do a Zig Zag camo scheme also.

Size

PHOTO'S EDITED FOR UPDATE

There was some discussion about the LCP (R) being more 1/32 than 1/35 so I've showed both boats together. As the Trumpeter boat is at least and inch taller than the Italeri boat I think they will work OK together???? :-) :-) :-)

Any thoughts or suggestions as always most welcome.

Cheers

Al

C[ ]
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 01:24 AM UTC
Truely awesome work Alan. I especially like the weathering in the LCP(R). Is that done with Rust All?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
Beautiful work Alan, what have you decided on as far as the pier ?
Cheyenne
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

Kenny, the deck was painted in Vallejo Yellow Ochre as a base coat and then wethered several times with very watery Tamiya Dark Brown XF 64. Then it was given another one or two washes (?) with a mix of Light Grey XF 66 and Mat Black XF 1. It was still a bit lighter than I wanted so I mixed some more grey/black and added a little metalic grey XF 56 which is the stage you see it at now. However, that was a little too black so I polished the deck with a tissue and that's left a really nice finish with some boards very black and others worn looking. The metalic grey has given the wood a nice effect. If there is sun tomorrow I'll take another snap and I think that will be the final treatment.

Cheyenne, re the pier as far as the boats go I think it will only be realistic to use two plus the wee rowing boat. I'm going to buid the second LCM as a British Craft. I'll leave the designation of the LCP (R) until the end and then mix and match them to see what looks best; so the combination could be:

USN LCM 3 + RN LCM 3
USN LCM 3 + RN LCP (R)
RN LCM 3 + USN LCP (R)

or if there is actually enough room and the mooring side by side looks OK:

USN LCM3 + RN LCM 3 + USN or RN LCP (R).

I had to seal the Ramp with milliput because of the water issue, but if the setting is right the second boat will have it's ramp down on the small beach area.

I'l like to do the LCP (R) with some engineers on board either US or British, which is why I want to armour the sides. I have the old Dodge Ambulance and Italeri Medical Jeep from a previous life that once re-visited and re-vamped could be the cargo for the USN Boat.

There will be a slipway at the top of the pier and as it's low water troops could be loading into the other boat from the small beach. (I have the plan mapped out on the board).

The Goods Wagon is built, unfortunately I will only have room for one LOL, LOL and I need to source a Fishermans Hut and organise the Crane and some narrow gauge tracks.

Once the boats are built and I have a better idea of their placement I'll start work on the harbour and sea walls.

Any thoughts about the armoured plate, I was going to make a template and use styrene and get some rivets and take it form there???

Cheers guys.

Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 04:56 AM UTC
They look good Alan, I wouldn't lose any sleep over any scale differences.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feed back, I'm inclined to agree, I think they look OK size wise.

Here's a few shots of the finished deck. A little bare metal needs to be done on the centre bar but I hope this is OK?

PHOTO'S REMOVED FOR UPDATE

Cheers all

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 06:59 PM UTC
Looking great, Al!
I really like your weathering techniques, mate. . .I think that this project just may be destined for another MSW feature article!
Keep up the good work, and keep us updated!
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

'Wot' more photographs, people will be saying "Oh no, not more LCM 3's" :-) :-) :-) :-)

Glad you like the boats so far.

Cheers

Al
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:32 AM UTC
Awesome weathering on the LCM, Al!!!! It truly looks the part!

Great work on the LCP (R) --- the Vallejo Yellow Ochre really works well for the wooden deck.

Keep up the great work, amigo!! Can't wait to see the completed dio!

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your comments. I've removed the current pictures to make some space and post some new, well if the internet doesn't let me down again LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP