_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Pier 51 Crew On Board and Other Progress
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
OK that didn't work - Got it - what a pity I deleted all the others LOL, LOL.
I'll put the others in another post.

Greeting all,

Here are some pics of the crews on board both boats. This may or may not be their final setting but figures always look better when on a ship in a tank or setting.

Some progress shots of the 2nd LCM 3 are below also along with new pics of my fisherman's net.

Still to add are some US Engineers and some life jackets and more red cross boxes and K rations. Vehicles still need strapped down.

Did US ENgineers have an orange line/triangle on the back of their helmets - I seem to recall having seen that marking somewhere?

Any comments or suggestions most welcome.

Now if my link to photobucket works correctly............

USN LCM 3 Crew

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

I hope you're not sick of seeing these??

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC
Apoligies first links didn't work -

LCP (R) Crew

Both Boats

Fisherman's Net

Do you think it is the right colour??

2nd LCM 3 - British Boat

Hopefully these will link OK

Cheers

Al

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
It DOES come along nicely! What a huge amount of work you have been doing!
do you now know the final dimensions of your diorama?
if i am sick of seeing these, it is SEAsick, only by seeing the guy standing on the border of the boat
think about the rifle's slings and of a bit of matt varnish on your figs, they look like they fell in the water already
keep on mate! and congratulations for the good work done!
JB

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi JB,

The board size is 24" x 41".

Take you point about the infantrymans trousers but not sure I agree on the foul weather clothing and life jackets.

My thinking was that that clothing would be greese and dirt stained and therefore somewhat shinny from wear and tear? What does anyone else think? Would it have been dull, it's the effect of the Burnt Umber.

I haven't forgotten about the rifle slings, but I'll do them towards the end as a batch.

What do you think about the 'cork' on the fishermans net??

Getting figures right is always difficult, at least for me :-) :-) :-)

How's the PT boat coming along? I haven't see any updates for a while.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC
that's a hell of a big dio :-) where are you going to store it once finished?!!
The fishermen's net is tops, the colour is a bit redish but I don't think this could be inacurate, the cork's colour as well as the rope is looking fine and really stands out near the net.
As for greese and wear and tear, well these doesn't get the clothes shiny doesn't it? wear and tear usually gets the clothes to be even more matt and tarnished, as for the grease you have to bath in it for the clothes to be shiny ? better ask a car repairer though!
Anyway, whatever your efforts, the figs will always appear more or less shiny on the pics from my own experience, and though they are really dipped in matt varnish everytime!
PT boat? I didn't touched it in 3 weeks! I am currently working on the maritime disaster nearby
keep on doing great work!
JB
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
Oh wow Alan. That is beautiful work! The fishing nets look awesome. I can't wait until the base starts to come together.

later...Gator
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC
Alan,
Could be that you've done it but the pics don't show it :-)
But would the rivets holding the extra armour on the LCP (R)'s sides be visible from the inside of the boat, or is there a double hull?
But looking very good!
Tom
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Greeting all,

Hi Tom,

Rivets on the inside hmmmm, don't know but at this stage I'm certainely not going to try. Doing the outside ones was bad enough LOL, LOL trying to line up the same for the inside, well too late now. I cut them individually from .020 styrene rod LOL, LOL.

Truthfully, I have no idea how big the rivets would have been nor whether they would have been seen on the inside. I could attempt it with small paint marks but ......... Good though though, if anyone else is building one, don't know that I want to start all that now and truthfully don't know whether they would have showed up or not as I saw only one picture of the armoured version and that was an outside view. Perhaps someone else might know for sure.

Edit:

Looking at the Boat Tom, the bottom ones would have been below the deck level and the top ones hidden by the overhang of the top deck so the only ones you might see would be the two verticle rows from the join of the front plates and the start of the rear plate. That I could do LOL, LOL, but all the others would have been out of sight.

2nd Edit,

That's a good thought though, it would mean I could add some more weathering to the inside of the boat both from rust streaks from the unseen top ones and around the seen verticle ones. I'll think on it, just need to be in the correct frame of mind LOL, LOL.

Kenny,

Thanks for you comments and glad you enjoyed them.

JB,

Having sought a second opinion and looked at the clothing again, I've dulled the clothing down so hopefully the sheen will have mostly disappeared. I've not used matt varnish before so.............
I've also repainted the denims of the LCP (R) crew as they just didn't look right.

Thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated.

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
Mr. McNeilly,
Where do you find the time to build these wonderful models? The set-up is coming together, my friend, and I for one will not pick nits, mate. . .looks great! Keep the progress reports flowing, as well as your inspirational works!
Cheers!
~Mark
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Glad you like them. Tom had a good point, something I hadn't thought about. Looking at the plating it would mean adding 3 rows of rivets of 4 each to each side. I think it would be a nice touch and give a opportunity to add a little more LOL, LOL.

Feedback and fresh eyes - you can't beat it.

Cheers

Al

allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 02:31 PM UTC
Alan,
Regarding my previous post about the rivets. I've just had a very nasty thought.
Were the LCV (R) boats of wooden construction?
If so, they couldn't rivet through the wood! They'd have had to 'sandwich' the wood with some metal strips or big washers or sheets of metal or something on the inside with the armour on the outside and drill through all 3 layers then fix it all in place with the rivets.
Maybe someone else'll know the ins and outs of armour plate fixing

Bye for now
Tom

P.S. I've seen your other post about the building. Sweet!
Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC
My only comment is just to keep showing us what you've got, I find it quite enjoyable to see pix of finished stuff and then seeing it put in a diorama setting.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hi,

I think your nets are very very good.

Just an idea - the areas around the tyres used as fenders should be stained with rubber do to the friction of the tyre.

HTH
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Tom,

I was thinking about that too. I doubt if I'll see any pictures of the inside but my plan would be to make six small plates and show the rivets on those. The plates would be fixed between the ribs, does that make sense. Looking at the photos of the LCA I had they just had a metal structure with stuff bolted through. Both the top and bottom beams wouldn't be seen so i could represent them that way.

Steve.

Glad you like them.

Jose,

The tyres are stained green on the bottom half, not sure I can make them any better.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Cheers

Al
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hi,

Quoted Text

... Jose,

The tyres are stained green on the bottom half, not sure I can make them any better. ...

The tyres are very good, what I've tried to say it's the hull side of the ship that should be stained with rubber in the area where the tyre is.

HTH
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi Jose,

Sorry I misunderstood you, that's a possibility.

Cheers

Al
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hey Mac, for variety, some Swabbies dyed their dixie cups( Caps) navy blue. Varying shades came out ,but that blue cap they did have. Apparently shore parties at Normandy had jump boots as well.

Gotta say, outstanding. Don't sweat the interior rivits, You can't see them all that well anyway., The LCP at the D-Day museum had them, could not notice them inside unless one looked hard.

All in all, terrific job.

Dave
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Glad you like her and thanks for sorting out the kit. Blue caps, yip that's possible LOL, LOL.

Did you by any chance get any pictures? I'd like a look at those if you have any.

As a matter of interest was the hull sandwitched to hold the armour plate or didn't the LCP have that alteration. My thoughts are some kind of metal beam above and below for the plates to fix onto?

As I said to Tom I only saw one picture, then couldn't find it again so the plates were fixed from memory. :-) :-)

I think she turned out well especially considering the age of the kit.

Cheers and thanks again, a real fun build.

Al
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:03 PM UTC
Al -- fantastic work on your diorama. I'm very jealous. I just now found your dioramam so my comment is probably much too late, but I'll try anyway.

You asked in a much earlier post if US engineers had an orange diamond on their helmets. It was U.S. Rangers who wore the orange diamond. During Normandy naval engineers had a 2" to 3" gray horizontal band painted around their helmet at the rim. Many then had a red arch painted across the front; others had "USN" in white on the front.

Hope this helps even though it's so late.

Incredible job on the diorama!

Brian
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 02:29 AM UTC
I have bin following your build and have to tell you your work is amazing, i will be looking for your updates.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

Never too late. Thanks for that. Would you have a link to any pics? That would be useful.

Hi Robert,

Thanks, comments much appreciated. In a figure painting mode at the moment, sorting out some dockers and folks to see how they will work in.

Cheers guys

Al
 _GOTOTOP