_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Pier 51 Boats are done - Update
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 03:06 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Well apart from final figure placement when the kits are ready to go on the dio the boats themselves are about done. Here's some update pics.

Thanks to all who provided information, feedback and encouragement.

RN LCM 3

USN LCM 3

I haven't settled on the figures yet , the first two pics show the 2 crew from the Verlinden Beach Party but it's more likely I'll used them on the dock.

LCP (R)

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 05:23 PM UTC
Looking Great, Al!

I love your attention to detail, and the scenes all look to have just the right amount of "business" to them. . .Pier 51 is really shaping up into a stunning dio!
Cheers,
~Gunny
Anti
Visit this Community
Harju, Estonia
KitMaker: 49 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hi Alan

Congratulations on finishing the boats.
They look SUPER GOOD!!!

The figures and the weathering makes it look alive.
Cant wait to see the dio finished.

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 07:05 PM UTC
well, between boats and generators and other bits of plaster and fishing nets, the whole really takes shape -can't wait to see the sea now!
but..
rifle slings please :-) :-)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like them.

JB, I knew you'd spot that. As they are USA I though I'd use some PE ones as they will be leather with buckles, give a nicer finish. Don't worry I hadn't forgotten, it's on the finishing touches list BTW when you're cleaning weapons, you remove the sling unless it's strip cleaning in the field - ex infantry I know that one

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW when you're cleaning weapons, you remove the sling unless it's strip cleaning in the field - ex infantry I know that one

oh yeah? that must be why they threw me out behind a desk after 1 month in the mud :-) :-)
anyway, good luck with the sea! remember it is merciless!
jb
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
Looks awesome Alan! With H&K figures and the Trumpy 1/72 kit, I may try a Pacific one for the Leyte Gulf campaign. Truely inspiring work.

Gator
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

BTW when you're cleaning weapons, you remove the sling unless it's strip cleaning in the field - ex infantry I know that one

oh yeah? that must be why they threw me out behind a desk after 1 month in the mud :-) :-)
anyway, good luck with the sea! remember it is merciless!
jb

Hi JB,

Yip, in normal cleaning if you don't remove the sling how can you clean the sling swivel? You also get dust directly into the parts you just cleaned if you leave the sling on. In the field you clean you weapon a bit at a time. Remove and clean one part, replace it and remove and clean the next, that way if you get bumped, you've much less to reassemble.

Mind you I don't know if other Armies work like that, but then I trained and served with the best :-) :-) (no offence)

Ah, the sea, yes there's that to deal with yet LOL, LOL. That could bugger the whole thing up. I think mucho practice will be need there before the first pour ever takes place.

Kenny,

Glad you got the bug. A 1/72 scale would be too small for me but it would be a good entry for the campaign.

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated.

Cheers

Al
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 09:33 PM UTC
Thanks Alan for sharing!
Looks GREAT!!
Ron
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yip, in normal cleaning if you don't remove the sling how can you clean the sling swivel? You also get dust directly into the parts you just cleaned if you leave the sling on. In the field you clean you weapon a bit at a time. Remove and clean one part, replace it and remove and clean the next, that way if you get bumped, you've much less to reassemble.

Mind you I don't know if other Armies work like that, but then I trained and served with the best :-) :-) (no offence)

Ah! no offence really, like a lot of frenchmen of my age, i didn't especially volunteered to crawl in the mud, but then I can't remember taking the sling out of those little shotguns they gave us...
anyway, that still doesn't dispense you from this loooong and tediious work -mind you, this is why there is never more than 1 or 2 handguns in my dios :-)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Ron,

Glad you enjoyed the boats and thanks for the input.

Hi JB,

Yip hand guns only is a good plan LOL, LOL. I hate rifle slings which is one reason I'm going to use PE. No matter how careful I am when I cut them they are either too thick or too thin or have and odd angle at one end LOL, LOL. They also have a tendancy to break off just after you've finished so they will be almost the last thing I do.

Some things work well others don't, at least for me.

How are you geting along with the PT boat I haven't seen any pics lately unless I missed them. I'm looking forward to that one. Are you at the water stage? You'll have to give us a full report on that part :-) :-).

I've started work on the Bedford which will be reversing into the RN LCM. It will be fun . Actually I really like trucks, just haven't build that many and this one will be my first attempt at converying one, so it will be interesting to se how it turns out. :-) :-) I'll need to take my time, I have a tendancy to want to rush sometimes, which usually means I have to go back and do things again :-) :-)

Have a pleasant evening and enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
The bedford is the Italeri model? it looks nice but lacks a bit in details from what i remember.
Funny you mentioned the PT Boat as i finished painting it today, there is still some way to go before the final coat of water though.. mid december it should be ready
good luck with your own work! do you have a final scheduled time more or less planned?
a nice evening yto everybody
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hi JB,

Yip, the Italeri kit,if it works out. Re time line - well how long is a piece of string? LOL, LOL. In reality at least a year, maybe longer if I get interrupted or diverted.

I've got 3 large project on the go and I kinda work across them as it's good to get a change or a break to something else. Then there's lots of I must build projects LOL, LOL.

Time doesn't bother me too much as long as I'm plodding along towards where I want to end up.

The building stage will be a major new venture for me, I've built a few dios most of which I didn't really like or thought that bits quite good but didn't like the overall result. Mind you there's a lot more information available now and a much greater range of products to use. Lots of good articles and hints and tips so I'm not daunted by it, but the overall investment in this one will be quite large so I want to do my best to make sure it's as good as I can possibly make it and that will take time and some trial and error. :-) :-) :-)

I'll look forward to seeing your finished project, it was a really imaginative idea and what I've seen so far look great.

Well, back to the truck LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built a few dios most of which I didn't really like or thought that bits quite good but didn't like the overall result.

Hi Al,
I think it is a problem when you work on different projects altogether, you get more skilled by the hour, and when you turn back to an older project you see all the defects of what you were building, and then the whole project appears less a whole than a collection of stuff put together, with good and bad bits -well at least it would work for me!! which is why i have only 10 dioramas built those last 13 years
I have got only one advise to give you: stick into this one with teeth if necessary until it is completely finished! Even if you get not so happy with it in 5 years time, at least it will recall you fond memories of what you are living right now, and you will be abble to tell people "yeah, that's my leisure life between summer and winter '06"
and good luck with the truck!
JB
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi JB,

Yip I'll stick with it. The truck is underway, more difficult then I thought :-) :-) :-) , but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Saw your boat update pictures - it's looking really great, hope to see the dio in a month or two????

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP