_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
LCVP and LCM camouflage
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!

The old saying "You learn something new everyday." still holds true. After seeing Alan's wonderful landing craft, I've been itchin' to do a LCVP and LCM3 from the PTO. In my research, I've found that the US Navy Bureau of Ships would carry the camo from the transport ship on to the landing craft as they hung on the davits.

So, what does this mean? The landing raft would be painted in the lightest color and the outboard side would carry the camouflauge, if any.

I thought that was really cool, especially since the LCVP were carried on APDs which wore a green camouflage. Now, to find the 1/35 Higgins boat.

Kenny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy mates!

The old saying "You learn something new everyday." still holds true. After seeing Alan's wonderful landing craft, I've been itchin' to do a LCVP and LCM3 from the PTO. In my research, I've found that the US Navy Bureau of Ships would carry the camo from the transport ship on to the landing craft as they hung on the davits.

So, what does this mean? The landing raft would be painted in the lightest color and the outboard side would carry the camouflauge, if any.

I thought that was really cool, especially since the LCVP were carried on APDs which wore a green camouflage. Now, to find the 1/35 Higgins boat.

Kenny

Hmmm, a 1/35 Higgins boat, eh?...Italeri's is my fave, but there are a few out there...sounds like a great project, Gator, and also a future prospect for GPM, eh?
~Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:58 PM UTC
So one side would be whatever the lightest camo color is, and the other side would match the camo on the ship? That sounds like an interesting look. I agree with Gunny, sounds like a idea for a new mask product to me.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Sounds good to me and would make an interesting camo scheme. 1/35 then it has to be the Italeri kit which BTW is a reallly neat build.

Look forward to hearing more.

All the best.

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC
I've found the Italeri kit for around $40 at Great Models. I agree Rodger, a Higgins boat in green camo would look very interesting. Also, to correct my ealier post, whatever color covered the majority of the outboard side would be used to paint the entire craft. I'll post a drawing tonight to show you some of the variations.

I'll need to check my references to see how many designs GPM could make.

The main thing though is building that awesome green LCVP!

Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

You'll really enjoy building this one.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP