_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
PT174 Build in progress
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi have started to build my PT174 zebra scheme. I'm backdating the Italeri PT596 kit. So far I've made the new air vents for the foredeck . I'm in the process of changing the cabin. have removed the top of the armour & replaced with clear plastic also i have began to move around the control panel & add new items. The forward .50cal gun tub has been moved forward. I have some pic's which i've posted. shall add more as the build progresses.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1854753

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:51 AM UTC
Very nice work Shaun.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 08:13 AM UTC
Shaun,

I liked what you did with the gun tub. I may try something like that with my vosper.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 05:33 PM UTC
Yeh it worked well on the gun tub. just make sure that all the gases are expelled before you make a hole in the can . dont want it exploding.
I'm now starting on the daycabin roof removing all the fixtures that are not needed on my build. post some more pics soon.
bobcicconi
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Model Shipwrights: 156 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 04:49 PM UTC
Shaun: It's coming along nicely! That's a whole lot of work! I noticed that you seem to have your deck skylights in already. Are they cemented in, or will you take them out to paint the deck and the grates separately? I just did a 596 out of the box, and found it easier to paint the deck and grilles separately and then put the acetate clear windows in after all the painting was done.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:40 PM UTC
Looking good! I really like new vents and the can idea. You've got some passion for this, she's going to be a beauty. keep us posted!
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:04 PM UTC
It looks like your finished model could look pretty cool indeed
also love the Hairspray can trick !
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:02 PM UTC
Hi the grills have been stuck in no glass I'll add that from underneath. I've now got both gun tubs made the same way. I've nearly finnished the cabin area leaving all the smaller bits till last. Have made 2 of the curved armour shields behind the cabin out of sheet metal so that they match each other. have started on the engine hatch & the removel of unwanted fixtures. Still need to make 3 more of the vent cowls for the roof. I've some more pic's to post in the next day or so.
Glad you guys like my work. usually build AFV but couldn't resist this boat.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 05:03 AM UTC
You're doing a great job with this build. Thanks for sharing it with us.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi Guy's
Have been busy with the build. Have most of the main cabins in place.
The rails for the gun tub's are nearly finnished. Have added the extra armoured shields behind the day cabin plus have made 2 new ammo ready lockers for the 20mm. (italeri are too small to fit 3 ammo drums into). have started scratchbuilding the new mountings for the 20mm.
I've added some more pic's today. Hope you like em.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 04:55 AM UTC
Your PT is looking awesome Shaun.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hello
Boats progressing very well. have had some interesting bits to build lately. Still messing about with the cowl vents havn't given up on making my own yet ( before buying elsewhere) . Have built the bow shield for the 40mm gun. what a weird thing that was can see why it was removed later in the boats life. Am now making a new mast . Have posted some pic's of the shield .
will keep you posted as to progress.
ducati650
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 03:08 AM UTC
Impressive. Very impressive!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
Very nice....very nice indeed. KInd of makes me want to run out and buy one of these wondeous kits. But, I've too much stuff on my plate, and I've already dedicated my annual budget for other thngs. Maybe next year when I catch the Squadron Scalefest deal, they'll put this one out at half price like they did the LCM kit this year
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi have nearly finnished the main mast just the fine wires & light to finnish. Have started to build the torpedo tubes. As soon as they look descent I'll ad some more pic's.
As for the kit I think if I could sneek it past my wife I would buy another & I could be tempted to build it as a straight forward build out of the box. As a comparison with what I'm doing.
I'll keep you updated with the build. wont get much done this weekend as I belong to MAFVA & it's are National show at Duxford this weekend so will be showing off some of my Armour builds.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hello
Have finnished the mast apart from attaching the wires & the light. Nearly finnished 1 of the torpedo's. Have made a mould for a couple of the smaller item's waiting for this to set before casting them. Torpedo's are beginning to look good so have posted a couple of pic's will add some more when there finnished the tubes. Next job will be the 20mm need to build that next. Nearly time to start painting.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:08 AM UTC
I am greatly enjoying watching this build progress. I am still waiting in the wings hoping that Italerie will release an early version. I just went and took a look at my old Revell 72nd PT 109. I did a lot of modification to it to detail it a bit and would really like to do a 35th scale of a similar model that I could just basically build OOB.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for sharing this one, this is a reallly class build. Great workmanship and very inventive, this will look stunning and be a very interesting variation.

Brilliant stuff.

Al
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:47 PM UTC
Looking so good, ammo racks and shield very impressive.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hi have been very busy with the torpedo tubes. Have nearly finnished them, cant untill they are attached to the deck. Location of tubes is over the screw holes for fixing the deck to the hull.
Made the tubes from 15mm flexible water pipe., lots of plastic & copper wire even brass nails. They even have go scale wing nuts on the end ( pic's dont show very well). Will keep you updated as I go. Now starting on the vent cowls for the deck.
ducati650
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
Impressive. Damn impressive. Makes me want to go out and burn my 495, well not really, but close.
Ed
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi Shaun,

excellent work indeed

Al
abuelo3
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 08:53 AM UTC
That´s a neat and "surgical" work, I'm gonig to ask to my Wife for the italeri boat, She give one two wecks ago, but now, I need this in order to buid the two variant.
Best regards fron Veracruz México
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi
Glad you guy's like the build, have to say that it's going better than I thought. Ed dont even think of burning your boat if I can paint mine any where near as well as you have I'll be very happy.
thanks for the support guy's.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hello
had a good weekend managed to finnish almost all of the build. Some smaller items to add once the deck has been screwed down. have added a few more pictures. The Torpedo tubes & guns are only placed in there location's will paint them seperatly. Should have her primed later today. Then it's the hard part deciding how to paint her have a few idea's.
Going to place on a diorama. Fancy building a ramp as in the "They were Expendable" film. Want to show the crew working on her & repainting the stripes. lot of working out to do.
 _GOTOTOP