_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Yamato in space
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC
I don't suppose any of you remember an old movie that came out in 1977 called "Star Wars". but the Dallas platoon is privledged to have as one of our members one of the model makers from that movie. NOw this guy is a wonderous airplane maker and was teachng us how to use the chrome sheets/alumininum stuff that you cut and stick to airplanes and such into achieve a better look. (That in itself is another story gist is it is real simple to use). He was telling us all sorts of interesting ways he built models for movie sets. So here it is

The opening scene of Star Wars has that big huge Star Destroyer sailing through the picture sceen. It was built around the 350 scale Tamiya Yamato. The real sad thing is, 99 % of those models were dumped in the trash after filming with various parts and thngs pulled off for other uses. Man Could you imagine how much an original model from the Star Wars movies would sell for on ebay? Sad sad sad. He didn't even get to keep any of his work either.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 03:22 AM UTC
That is sad Steve. I guess Hollywood can't store everything they make.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:35 PM UTC
If they had only known what they had on their hands. If somebody had had the foresight to put the models into storage, what they would have made on ebay and such would have more than paid the storage fees.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 08:59 AM UTC
I thnk it woul have ben better had they just saved it and put it in nice exhibit ...I'll bet they could have donated a lot of them to the Smithsonian
 _GOTOTOP